Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #34,066 of 38,822

PixelSquish

Previously known as idiotekniques
I wonder if the XM4 battery life might be more in the 8hr range for LDAC if the ANC is disabled. Might be a good option for quiet environments. Any difference in sound from ANC to no ANC?

That's how I've been listening to them mostly. I don't need ANC as often as I need it. When I do need it I want it to be very good, but I'm gonna run LDAC with no ANC most of the time. I'll do a test at some point see how long it takes for them to lose 20% power with LDAC and no ANC listening to Tidal HiFi

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #34,067 of 38,822

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
I wonder if the XM4 battery life might be more in the 8hr range for LDAC if the ANC is disabled. Might be a good option for quiet environments. Any difference in sound from ANC to no ANC?
I wonder the same thing. When I had the xm3 for like 2 months, I rarely needed to turn on ANC in my home. I just used passive isolation, and it actually isolated pretty good (it lasted me a good 7-8hrs range as long as DSEE was kept off). In that situation with LDAC but disabled ANC, I would think the battery life would go up by couple hours at least.

I would be curious to see how much DSEE impacts battery life too in xm4. With xm3, DSEE on brought down battery life to like 3hrs or less.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #34,069 of 38,822

CocaCola15

100+ Head-Fier
Guess I’ll look for those Amazonwarehousedeals discounts, for all the buyers who decided they were not fans of the XM4. I do really like the WH1000-XM3. Did not like the WF1000-XM3 much. Did not care for the form factorz And had volume issues. Don’t find the full-size Sonys too dark, but I do tweak the treble.

I always liked Sony phones, owned the EX1000 and the EX300, back in the day. Wind issues ruined that design. Also have the MH755 around here someplace!
A bit off topic, but the Apple Spatial Audio (checked out 3 months free) not consistent, it could be the new 4-channel sound, if they can’t get it right. Some tracks sound great, but most sound meh.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #34,071 of 38,822

Caipirina

Headphoneus Supremus
I am fairly confident that he is not using the correct size tips. I took a flyer on them and got them tonight. They sure don't fit like that on me.
wow, how I wish I could 'take a flyer' ... my best options right now is mid August maybe ... or someone imports and sells for double price 'first adopter fee' :D

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #34,072 of 38,822

chinmie

Headphoneus Supremus
This also another review showing a gap between the earpiece and the inner ear:
gsmarena_009.jpg

if we assume that the reviewer did wear it "right" for him, than for some people (depending how their ear canal goes) would ended up with that kind of fit, which is a bit floating.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #34,073 of 38,822

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
Does the xm4 allow single bud usage with either of the buds? If you turn off the ANC, put it in the case and take them out, does ANC turn on by default, or it remembers its last state and remains off? These are deal breakers for me. Thanks.
Can anyone who already has the xm4 let me know? The absence of these features are deal breakers for me. It's a toss up between the xm4 and the mw08. The mw08 has every features I want, just gotta audition it.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #34,074 of 38,822

miserybeforethemusic

Headphoneus Supremus
This also another review showing a gap between the earpiece and the inner ear:
gsmarena_009.jpg

if we assume that the reviewer did wear it "right" for him, than for some people (depending how their ear canal goes) would ended up with that kind of fit, which is a bit floating.
I'd venture a guess that a lot of these folks don't think about proper fitment. They just want something they can shove into their earholes and go. Usually, it's an indicator that the tip they're using is too large.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #34,075 of 38,822

Caipirina

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd venture a guess that a lot of these folks don't think about proper fitment. They just want something they can shove into their earholes and go. Usually, it's an indicator that the tip they're using is too large.
Took me quite a while to learn through ample practice how to properly fit any kind of IEM ... wife still does not get it and it makes it really tricky to find good eartips for her

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #34,076 of 38,822

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone who already has the xm4 let me know? The absence of these features are deal breakers for me. It's a toss up between the xm4 and the mw08. The mw08 has every features I want, just gotta audition it.
Only the right earbud can be independent. However the noise canceling state carries over as far as I can tell.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #34,078 of 38,822

chinmie

Headphoneus Supremus

that is the other scenario, especially because it uses foam tips, which have more steps to use (squeezing it first before insertion) compared to silicone.

Took me quite a while to learn through ample practice how to properly fit any kind of IEM ... wife still does not get it and it makes it really tricky to find good eartips for her

i still have anxiety everytime i look at my wife using earphones... sometimes she would use it in a loose way that i fear that it would fall off:sweat_smile:

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #34,079 of 38,822

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
Only the right earbud can be independent. However the noise canceling state carries over as far as I can tell.
Looks like right bud only as independent is the same as the xm3.

I just can't remember if Sony made it so the xm3 didn't turn on ANC by default. I recall testing that, but I don't remember the specifics now

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #34,080 of 38,822

Thesonofkrypton

500+ Head-Fier
Spent the evening with the XM4, extremely happy with the purchase, no connection issues at all with iPhone. Sound is clearly a step up from XM3. Fit is excellent on me, almost as good as the Melomania touch (which I still rank as the best fitting tws out there).

Things got interesting when I switched to LDAC on the Astell and kern kann alpha. I’m not kidding when I say this but it’s very much in the vein of the z1r I have too. Obviously not as polished and lacking the soundstage and impact of the bass but cut from the same cloth clearly. I will take that as a portable solution!

ANC is top notch, blocked out traffic noise and people talking outside apartment.

Really dig the design and packaging, it looks small in all the photos and videos we have all seen but it is so dinky when you see it in person!

I can say hand on heart, this is the one for me for portable wireless use. No longer need to look around and waste money.

Users who are viewing this thread