Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 24, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #3,303 of 61,356
Question for Momentum True Wireless owners: how is sound isolation with those?

I’d been using a pair of Bose QC30s (earbuds with ANC) which just died on me and looking at the Sennheisers as a replacement. I’d used them to walk to work on noisy city streets, sometime in public transport, and on short flights if isolation is sufficient.

Do people think they have enough isolations for those things and if someone has used the QC30s before, how do they compare from that perspective.

And actually, I am right that isolation on the MTW is passive and there is no ANC whatsoever. Some reviews are a bit unclear and possibly misleading about that.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #3,304 of 61,356

I’d been using a pair of Bose QC30s (earbuds with ANC) which just died on me and looking at the Sennheisers as a replacement. I’d used them to walk to work on noisy city streets, sometime in public transport, and on short flights if isolation is sufficient.

Do people think they have enough isolations for those things and if someone has used the QC30s before, how do they compare from that perspective.

And actually, I am right that isolation on the MTW is passive and there is no ANC whatsoever. Some reviews are a bit unclear and possibly misleading about that.

Passive, no anc. Isolation depends on fit, for me they were pretty damn good. I just returned them for their other faults. I'm mostly satisfied with the Jabra Elite 65t Active now. I wish they had the sq of the MW07, but alas for the price, it doesn't. I prefer the SQ of the MW07 and the fit to the Senns, the only thing lacking in the MW07 are is battery

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #3,305 of 61,356
Passive, no anc. Isolation depends on fit, for me they were pretty damn good. I just returned them for their other faults. I'm mostly satisfied with the Jabra Elite 65t Active now. I wish they had the sq of the MW07, but alas for the price, it doesn't. I prefer the SQ of the MW07 and the fit to the Senns, the only thing lacking in the MW07 are is battery

Cheers! So you think you’d been happy to let’s say use them to comfortably whatch a movie on the plane?

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #3,306 of 61,356

Yes some reviews are confusing because they refer to the "transparency" mode (the outside sound gets mixed in to allow you to interact) as "noise cancelling" for some reason.

I have the QC20 that are probably pretty close to the QC30 and it's a very different concept from TWEs. The Bose don't really have any passive isolation to speak of so with the ANC on you basically filter out the background noise and can still talk to people. With TWEs like the Senns or Jabras that have strong passive isolation you can't interact unless you activate the transparency mode. TBH I'm a bit undecided as to what's "best". I suppose the diminutive form factor of the TWEs would win the day. Besides the 65Ts are really not fatiguing (can't speak for the Senns) and are really decently priced.

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #3,307 of 61,356
I have the QC20 that are probably pretty close to the QC30 and it's a very different concept from TWEs. The Bose don't really have any passive isolation to speak of so with the ANC on you basically filter out the background noise and can still talk to people. With TWEs like the Senns or Jabras that have strong passive isolation you can't interact unless you activate the transparency mode. TBH I'm a bit undecided as to what's "best".

Yeah i get what you mean in terms of different isolation. And since you mention it one thing a like about the Bose is that because they don’t rely on passive isolation the eartips are very unintrusive and feel very comfortable (I am no a fan of sticking foam tips deep in my ears).

But I have to say the form factors of true wireless is very tempting (I have AirPods and while sound quality and isolation are not up there for all my needs I love their practicality).

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #3,308 of 61,356
Yes, but again the 65Ts are easy to wear, very little pressure on the ear canal. One unexpected "plus" for the Bose : I went shopping the other day with the QC20 and no music and I must say it was pretty "relaxing", all the annoying background noise is gone. I actually tried them on when driving and my beater sounded like a plush Mercedes and it didn't feel like I was less aware of "useful" noise to stay alert. TWEs wouldn't work in that scenario.

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #3,309 of 61,356
It's fine for the gym, sits tight, but battery life sucks indded at 2.5 hours

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

What's your take on call quality (outbound) for the MW07? And for those of you with the Senn MTWs?

I've heard a recording for the MTWs (it's on Youtube) and the quality of the audio picked up by the mics seems terrible, which was one of the things that pushed me to the Jabras.

Dec 24, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #3,310 of 61,356
It's fine for the gym, sits tight, but battery life sucks indded at 2.5 hours

Yeah. Fit-wise they're fantastic because of those stabilizers. The battery life is a dealbreaker though. If you listen to music at high volume you likely won't even get 2 hours.

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,311 of 61,356

What's your take on call quality (outbound) for the MW07? And for those of you with the Senn MTWs?

I've heard a recording for the MTWs (it's on Youtube) and the quality of the audio picked up by the mics seems terrible, which was one of the things that pushed me to the Jabras.
I only use mw07 for calling in the quiet office. They are pretty good. Without telling them, my friends on the other side don't even notice what I'm using.
I don't expect the same in public, though, and I don't intend to do that anyway.

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #3,312 of 61,356

Returned my MTWs and waiting on MW07s, but the outbound call quality was not great - based on recording my outbound voice on a few different apps, and hearing it on a different phone. Not horrendous, but low volume and muffled. The same is true of inbound call quality, but there are many other factors affecting that

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #3,313 of 61,356
Returned my MTWs and waiting on MW07s, but the outbound call quality was not great - based on recording my outbound voice on a few different apps, and hearing it on a different phone. Not horrendous, but low volume and muffled. The same is true of inbound call quality, but there are many other factors affecting that
What's the reason for returning the Senns? Just curious. I think there great in most aspects and never had any issues thus far. With that being said I have not had any issues with the MW07 either, both are great!

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3,315 of 61,356
What's the reason for returning the Senns? Just curious. I think there great in most aspects and never had any issues thus far. With that being said I have not had any issues with the MW07 either, both are great!
I'm starting to get itchy about MTW :) Could you compare the difference in Sound between these two? Or if you have other Senns headphones, could you tell me which it is more similar to? Currently I have IE800, HD1, HD6xx, HD700 and HD800. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back