Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 12, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #33,106 of 62,112
Oluvs target audience are people who care if something sounds correct. Certain tonalitys are just objectively more realistic and correct then others regardless if someone likes it or not. Ofcourse people perceive and experience sound differently but there must be some baseline to say what is correct or not. Just like how we all experience the same world around us but have different opinions about it. If some people like an unnatural soundsignature thats fine but we should still be able to agree that it sounds off when compared against the real instrument for example.
Some people just dont care that much about correctness. I think in the end everything only matters with respect to a goal. You either want to hear things how they should be or you just want what you like.

May 12, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #33,107 of 62,112
I don’t agree. I’ve got 2 Android DAP’s running 8.1 and 9.0, and both have more than enough power for the Pi7’s. The highest I’ve listened to is around 70 out of 100 and whilst the buds seemed happy to go higher, my ears did not. @mainguy - you might want to check some of the smaller Hiby units. Amazing value for what you get.
B&W agree with you, they got back to me and said it’s source dependent, could be because I’m just using iOS. I’ll try something else, thanks for the reccomendation

May 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #33,108 of 62,112
B&W agree with you, they got back to me and said it’s source dependent, could be because I’m just using iOS. I’ll try something else, thanks for the reccomendation
The buds are powered solely by their internal amps. The only possible answer is source software is limiting volume. I have an android and an iPhone. I’ll test.

May 12, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #33,109 of 62,112
Wireless for me always has been about convenience, mainly for sport reasons. Due to being locked into Apple ecosystem, AirPods 2 worked for me quite well, AirPods Pro are better for isolation, they sound a bit nicer too (full bodied) but comfort is not as good as with AirPods 2.

May 12, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #33,111 of 62,112
Here I am, praising the MT through and through and suddenly... the is no sound from the left bud...

I’ve gone through the reset process quite a few times, the lights behave as normal, the touch controls on the left ear bud even work... volume down, play/pause... but no sound: no “power on”, no “Melomania paired”, no beeps.

I’ve sent an email to support. Let’s see, but it’s a bummer.

I even thought there could be something with the recent iOS update to 14.5.1 so if someone experiences the same, let me know.

Waiting for RMA...

May 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #33,113 of 62,112
ANC TWS for $20?! damn cheap. I don't expect ANC to be great however.

But, I got to chuckle at their advertisements. Chinese ads are so damn ghetto. It says BT 5.2 is lossless. LMAO.
I don't expect any cause they don't have ANC. :) They are only able, potentially, to do two things. Sound good and fit nicely. Not much else there. No ambient, no ANC, not even volume control. Of course the 20M range claim would hope that they have good stability and decent range. I hope they are nice and comfy, combine with my Cowon EQ to sound very good for the $20, and just work well as far as no drop outs under normal circumstances.

May 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #33,114 of 62,112

The buds are powered solely by their internal amps. The only possible answer is source software is limiting volume. I have an android and an iPhone. I’ll test.
Same thing I was trying to say. I apologize if I said it in the wrong way. I believe that if that was the answer B&W gave you, they were either giving you the short answer or the rep is not in the know. For anything BT as far as volume limit is concerned, that is decided by the amp inside the device itself, not the DAP/phone; except where the manufacturer has capped the volume limit in the software of the OS. Apple has always done this for "hearing safety" and the only way around it is to jailbreak the OS.

Android, on the other hand is usually not like this. Being an open OS it is normally left up to you to monitor the level at which you listen to your stuff (you will have the full range of volume). The exception to this has been Samsung products. They tend to do things like Apple does, and because of this they have initiated level caps on their products also. There is a way to temporarily get around this on Samsung devices. When you turn the volume up past a certain point, a pop-up will ask you if you are sure you want to do this. Once answered it will stay this way for a set period of time. It will reset after a reboot, or after a period of time, in which you will have to answer this pop-up again.

Volume on BT devices are not limited by the DAP/phone because while a BT device is hooked up to it (wirelessly) it is only acting as a transport to the heaphone/earphone. Meaning that as long as there is not some (in between) code limiting volume via software, you should get the full range 0-100% with any device you hook up to. The BT device now becomes both the DAC and the AMP for the sound you are hearing. You should get the same volume from a TV as you would a tiny DAP or phone. As a matter of fact, unless there is some DSP going on in the OS (or player), all players should sound the same through your BT IEMs

Long story longer is that unless Apple has gimped the cap by a ton, you will not get a ton of boosted volume on any device. Here is where I am not 100% sure because I have not listened to an iPhone since the 8, and before that the iPod Touch, which were equally gimped on the cap.

Waiting for RMA...

You just cannot win for losing with those?! Sorry to hear that. I hope they make it right for you, and wish you had some like mine (have had no issues to speak of really), so you could be enjoying them rather that being annoyed with them. Did you get them directly from Cambridge? I have seen (here and elsewhere) that at least they try and make it right.

It's crazy with those, because they could have had a massive winner with these if they didn't have so many issues. I wonder if the quality control manager still has a job when this is all over with, because it seems they did not run them through the paces at all on these, even though they are physically well built (it seems).

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #33,115 of 62,112
Waiting for RMA...
Do you mean waiting as in nobody has responded to you? Or that it's been sent out and you're awaiting its return?

May 12, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #33,116 of 62,112
You just cannot win for losing with those?! Sorry to hear that. I hope they make it right for you, and wish you had some like mine (have had no issues to speak of really), so you could be enjoying them rather that being annoyed with them. Did you get them directly from Cambridge? I have seen (here and elsewhere) that at least they try and make it right.

It's crazy with those, because they could have had a massive winner with these if they didn't have so many issues. I wonder if the quality control manager still has a job when this is all over with, because it seems they did not run them through the paces at all on these, even though they are physically well built (it seems).

I did buy them directly from the CA website... and, besides from some of the (known) issues which were solved by firmware updates, I hadn’t had any issues with them. Suddenly the left bud stopped reproducing any sound. The led light seems ok, touch controls work... but there’s no sound. Which, honestly, is/was their best trait.

I’m now just waiting for them to approve the RMA and send me the return label. I’ll keep you posted.

May 12, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #33,117 of 62,112
Do you mean waiting as in nobody has responded to you? Or that it's been sent out and you're awaiting its return?

They responded the same day... to both my emails. As I write this, I’ve received the authorization and return instructions, which is good news, all in a little over 24h. Now let’s see how long this will take...

May 12, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #33,118 of 62,112
I had no volume level issue on my iPhone 12 Pro max, used it at 70% volume, granted my Noble Falcon Pro I use at 40% volume to achieve the same volume level.

May 12, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #33,119 of 62,112
ANC TWS for $20?! damn cheap. I don't expect ANC to be great however.

But, I got to chuckle at their advertisements. Chinese ads are so damn ghetto. It says BT 5.2 is lossless. LMAO.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "hybrid technology" monkier either. Rather it just say CCA. Didn't realize how cheap these hybrid TWS are getting nowadays. As long as they are decent sounding I'm fine with it. I plan to use them as backup earbuds for working out or mobile gaming/movies anyway.
I don't expect any cause they don't have ANC. :) They are only able, potentially, to do two things. Sound good and fit nicely. Not much else there. No ambient, no ANC, not even volume control. Of course the 20M range claim would hope that they have good stability and decent range. I hope they are nice and comfy, combine with my Cowon EQ to sound very good for the $20, and just work well as far as no drop outs under normal circumstances.
Yeah no volume control is quite a shock on these. They actually shipped pretty fast though, looks like it already got picked up by shipping partner from Fremont, CA.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #33,120 of 62,112
They responded the same day... to both my emails. As I write this, I’ve received the authorization and return instructions, which is good news, all in a little over 24h. Now let’s see how long this will take...
I am curious too. I am going to have to rma my MT. No matter what I try, the right bud is hit-or-miss with charging. The contact is definitely loose with the pins, and there is nothing I can do on my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back