Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 30, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #32,581 of 62,114
so these PI7s are worth it to buy, even with the Bluetooth skipping and hopefully for the fix in the future? Thank you.
It depends what you mean by "worth it". Competition in true wireless phones is pretty fierce at the moment, and most other vendors seem to be capable of releasing new products without the problems I am getting with the PI7s. I'm going to attempt to return mine because wireless charging doesn't work; so I suppose I should add QC to my list of glitches.

If you enjoy the B&W sound (I quite like it), then these might be for you; prepare yourself for possible frustrations, though.

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #32,582 of 62,114
Another review for PI7 from expert reviews, same thing, they say they’re the best sounding tws buds. I’ve not seen reviewers so unanimous on a tws before, it’s usually all over the place.

Getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger lol

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #32,583 of 62,114
Random persistent dropouts when my phone (Pixel 5) is close; they usually go away after putting the PI7s back in the case and removing them. Wireless charging isn't working - that's with 3 different wireless chargers. B&W support is a mess (you can't reply to one of their emails, you have to enter a response to their response by refilling out one of their contact forms). The app (android) is buggy: sometimes it won't connect at all; when it succeeds, it causes the audio the sputter during connection. The included eartips have a piece of foam/felt in them that dampens the highs. The sound is quite good, though - with different eartips.
Suggestion; try setting the source to aptx Classic to see if the drop-outs get less frequent (and let us know please).

How is the latency for TV via the case?

Curious to know if you imported or purchased through a Canadian Retailer. Bay Bloor Radio (Toronto) is still showing Pre-Order, though they mentioned they anticipate delivery soon.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #32,585 of 62,114
Hello! I need some recommendations/tips about TWS IEMs. I havent followed that market at all since it didnt interest me. BUT now im interested. I have actually worned out the 3.5 mm socket on my LG V40 (using it alot at work for Phone calls, meetings) and its not practically using a wired set at work.

What is considered a good budget TWS IEM these days?

My few criteria's is:
* Battery life
*Good voice quality and mic quality (meeting online and phonecalls).
* not gonna listen to much music with these,BUT podcast on way to job and when outsider walking/jogging
*good fit
*dont want to spend much on this since im not gonna critically listen with these.

Thanks😁
You have an Android phone so you should consider the original Samsung Galaxy Buds -- heavily discounted now that Samsung has also released the +, Pro and Live. You can find them as open-box sales on Ebay for $35-$45, and whoa, here are white ones claimed as new for $30.
https://www.ebay.com/p/3029545004

It's as mainstream as you can get, but that's not a bad thing for casual use.

Though the later Samsungs are said to have upgraded sound, even the original buds sound clear and will be just fine for podcasts. They were praised for battery life in reviews at the time. Google around for reviews. Also, since you've had your phone for awhile, make sure your Android version will work with the Samsung app. ( Android 5.0 or higher with 1.5GB of RAM)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #32,586 of 62,114
Another review for PI7 from expert reviews, same thing, they say they’re the best sounding tws buds. I’ve not seen reviewers so unanimous on a tws before, it’s usually all over the place.

Getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger lol
I was ready to try something new, so I bought the PI7s. I must say that I have had none of the dropout or wireless charging issues mentioned above. I will say that I walked around with them again this morning with Iphone in back pocket—zero dropouts. I think I have been guilty in the past of listening to my IEMs at too low of volume. Today, I gave the PI7s a little “headroom” with a bit more volume than I usually use—I tended in the past to keep the volume just above flat sounding—all I can say is the PI7s really started to shine. My Sonys and MTW are solid, the these new buds are, to me, much more engaging. (I know, I should go back and test these others with a little more juice, but I am having a great time with the PI7s now.). I will add that I don’t care about long battery life (within reason), if it means more amp power.

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #32,587 of 62,114
You have an Android phone so you should consider the original Samsung Galaxy Buds -- heavily discounted now that Samsung has also released the +, Pro and Live. You can find them as open-box sales on Ebay for $35-$45. It's as mainstream as you can get, but that's not a bad thing for casual use.

Though the later Samsungs are said to have upgraded sound, even the original buds sound clear and will be just fine for podcasts. They were praised for battery life in reviews at the time. Google around for reviews. Also, since you've had your phone for awhile, make sure your Android version will work with the Samsung app. ( Android 5.0 or higher with 1.5GB of RAM)
Buds live and Pro have better mic quality. Vkice is ok on original buds but they dont really cancel out background noise but should be ok if you take your calls in a quiet room.

If you're looking at Samsung, they also have a trade in program where you can send them just about anything for $20 off.

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #32,588 of 62,114
I was ready to try something new, so I bought the PI7s. I must say that I have had none of the dropout or wireless charging issues mentioned above. I will say that I walked around with them again this morning with Iphone in back pocket—zero dropouts. I think I have been guilty in the past of listening to my IEMs at too low of volume. Today, I gave the PI7s a little “headroom” with a bit more volume than I usually use—I tended in the past to keep the volume just above flat sounding—all I can say is the PI7s really started to shine. My Sonys and MTW are solid, the these new buds are, to me, much more engaging. (I know, I should go back and test these others with a little more juice, but I am having a great time with the PI7s now.). I will add that I don’t care about long battery life (within reason), if it means more amp power.
Glad they're working out for you!

From what I could tell, the dropout issues were in places that there are no buildings to bounce the BT signal back to you. I deal with it pretty constantly if I try to use any of my buds in an open park, but consider that to be more of the "infrequent cases" category.

Another note is that, by you using these with an iPhone, they can transmit over AAC instead of aptX HD/Adaptive. Both of those aren't necessarily as robust as AAC is, just on account of age and generation.

And I agree; I can trade battery life for fantastic sound as long as I don't need these things in all day. Ironically, my 85t are the worst offenders with that. Usually can't make it through a couple Zoom calls before it's begging to be charged again.
Lol of course they'd tease it for the Fall update. Cynicism aside, it's been a long time coming and I hope they manage to pull it off.

Oh and I'm keeping the WH3 for now. They sat in a shipping box for a week waiting to go out, but between having my red anniversary and a couple bruised bones to nurse, just never cam around to it. After reading all the PI7 feedback, I figured it'd make more sense to keep and hope they add more features in via a firmware update.

The R5 Saber is gone, though, so can't test UAT. Oh well.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #32,589 of 62,114
Quick one: Best ANC with AptX?
I double checked and my favs (Bose QC buds and Jabra 85t) only do AAC/SBC. And i know that the Tronsmart Apollo Bold do AptX, but I had some really weird issues when I tried to switch them from phone to my Tempotec V1 .. I did not want to try that again ...
Seems I need to look into getting the MTW2 here :D

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #32,591 of 62,114
Just a quick update on the Devialet Gemini.

The new firmware has completely resolved any issues I had (mostly where at least one of the earbuds would discharge to 0% while in the case) and sound is still fantastic. ANC is VERY good (literally, almost no sound gets through and tone really doesn't change at all ANC on vs. off).

I consider these my most accurate phones to listen to, including among my over-ear headphones (e.g., HiFiMan HE-500, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, Focal Elegia, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed) and various TWS / IEMs (e.g., UEFit, Tevi, Blessing 2, etc.). For sheer pleasure, I'd say it's close between the Aeon, the Blessing 2, and the Gemini.

Very glad I kept them ... though of course, I'm still jones-ing to try the KEF and B&W offerings :wink:

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #32,592 of 62,114
Just a quick update on the Devialet Gemini.

The new firmware has completely resolved any issues I had (mostly where at least one of the earbuds would discharge to 0% while in the case) and sound is still fantastic. ANC is VERY good (literally, almost no sound gets through and tone really doesn't change at all ANC on vs. off).

I consider these my most accurate phones to listen to, including among my over-ear headphones (e.g., HiFiMan HE-500, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, Focal Elegia, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed) and various TWS / IEMs (e.g., UEFit, Tevi, Blessing 2, etc.). For sheer pleasure, I'd say it's close between the Aeon, the Blessing 2, and the Gemini.

Very glad I kept them ... though of course, I'm still jones-ing to try the KEF and B&W offerings :wink:
This is great news. Can't wait to repurchase to go along with my B&Ws and KEFs. :beerchug:

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #32,593 of 62,114
OK, so I finally took the PI7s out for a 5 mile walk. I decided I would test them and the new KEF Mu3s outdoors to see which one fared better.
I encountered a few bugs with the PI7. When I first received them, I experienced random dropouts while sitting at my desk listening to music. Nothing major, but it sounds like Bluetooth skips. I reset them and that did the trick for a few days but then today it came back. While walking, if I wasn’t near a building for Bluetooth signal to bounce off of, the Bluetooth skipping happened randomly. Nothing major at all, just a random skip here and there. Depending on which way you turned your head and how far my iPhone 12 was away from the buds.
Then, earlier today I was listening to an old 80s hair metal track. Probably not a great source material since a lot of this albums we never mastered very well, but when the song hit a certain moment I heard crackling in the left ear. I’ve heard this on other headphones, and I’m not a big audiophile so I can’t really tell you why it happens, only that I’m guessing it has something to do with the source material. That said, I didn’t hear it on any other music I listened to. Also, while using the KEFs on the same song that had crackling, I didn’t hear the same issue.
I’m sharing this because even though these suckers were over $400 after tax and shipping, are they still worth keeping? The ANC is awesome. The sound is awesome, but there’s that little hiccup. The Bluetooth switching between my Mac and my iPhone is awesome. All I have to do is click on the Bluetooth name and boom I am clicked over to a Zoom call instantly. So, I’m tormented. The honeymoon phase waning. Worth keeping or not? That is the question…
Oh and, ZERO issues like this with the KEFs so
OK, so I finally took the PI7s out for a 5 mile walk. I decided I would test them and the new KEF Mu3s outdoors to see which one fared better.
I encountered a few bugs with the PI7. When I first received them, I experienced random dropouts while sitting at my desk listening to music. Nothing major, but it sounds like Bluetooth skips. I reset them and that did the trick for a few days but then today it came back. While walking, if I wasn’t near a building for Bluetooth signal to bounce off of, the Bluetooth skipping happened randomly. Nothing major at all, just a random skip here and there. Depending on which way you turned your head and how far my iPhone 12 was away from the buds.
Then, earlier today I was listening to an old 80s hair metal track. Probably not a great source material since a lot of this albums we never mastered very well, but when the song hit a certain moment I heard crackling in the left ear. I’ve heard this on other headphones, and I’m not a big audiophile so I can’t really tell you why it happens, only that I’m guessing it has something to do with the source material. That said, I didn’t hear it on any other music I listened to. Also, while using the KEFs on the same song that had crackling, I didn’t hear the same issue.
I’m sharing this because even though these suckers were over $400 after tax and shipping, are they still worth keeping? The ANC is awesome. The sound is awesome, but there’s that little hiccup. The Bluetooth switching between my Mac and my iPhone is awesome. All I have to do is click on the Bluetooth name and boom I am clicked over to a Zoom call instantly. So, I’m tormented. The honeymoon phase waning. Worth keeping or not? That is the question…
Oh and, ZERO issues like this with the KEFs so far.
Good to know, it does sound like the KEFs are better, well... more reliable...

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #32,595 of 62,114
Good to know, it does sound like the KEFs are better, well... more reliable...
No issues today, so who knows what's up. I did reset them, repair and reboot everything. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back