Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #32,521 of 62,092
In my unprofessional opinion, the PI7s DO sound better than the MW08.

Just got the KEFs today. Going to pit them against the MW08 as well later today. I might like them better.

New world order:

1. B&W PI7
  2. NFP
  3. KEF
  4. MW08
  5. B&O Beoplay Sport
Thanks for the list, looks like you agree with the other reviews the PI7 are top dog for tws sound. Gods i want to order them but i just bought airpods max and they cost a small downpayment on a house...

More time with the MW08 confirms my impressions and those of others that they are overly warm and somewhat muddy. The bass is flabby and lacks control. Spinfits helped a little but not enough. I am not giving up yet but am leaning toward a return even though I am smitten with the form factor and build.

I’ve owned a few M&D products (MH40, MW65 & MW07 +). They are literally gorgeous, like pieces of art. But aside from the MW07+ they really did fall short in sound, and even the MW07+ had some issues with mids. Vocals sounded off. It’s really hard to let go of their products because of the design though, I was hoping the MW08 would have fixed things shame they still have flaws.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #32,522 of 62,092
I'd say for me, the KEF fit the best. They're snug and I can't feel the tips in my ears even though they have a seal. The B&W second - they fit great and the ANC is spot on, better than the KEF and the MW08. The MW08 sit in my ears and I usually have to adjust them to get a good seal all the time. They also have sound bleed says my wife. She complains that I play my music loud when I wear the MW08. She'll never understand.

The KEF are smaller than the B&W. Here are a few pics.
Thanks. This was super helpful. You keeping all three?

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #32,523 of 62,092
Thanks. This was super helpful. You keeping all three?
You're welcome. Seriously considering selling the MW08 at this very moment.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #32,524 of 62,092
Apr 29, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #32,525 of 62,092
My lust for the blue ceramic is growing. Don’t know if you own or have owned the MT. If so, how do they compare, solely in SQ?
I don't have the MT, so I can't offer any comparisons to the MW08.

For those who find the MW08s muddy or overly warm, you might try slightly smaller tips. With tips that fit properly, when the MW08s are twisted very slightly upward during insertion, the tips slip gently into the ear canal providing an extremely comfortable and effective seal. If they feel overly warm, or if you have sound leakage, or if the ANC is underwhelming, it may be because the tips are too large and unable to fit properly in the ear canal. That was my experience when using the supplied XL tips -- those tips sat just outside (rather than slightly inside) my ear canal. It felt like I was getting a seal, but it was in fact more of an external blockage -- and sonically off. The supplied XL tips also got uncomfortable pretty quickly, but with slightly smaller tips the MW08s are and remain very comfortable.

Fit is such a personal thing, and everyone's ears are different. (In my case, even my left and right ears are slightly, but noticeably, different.) Some very well regarded earphones never really fit me well -- and, accordingly, never sounded quite right no matter what tips I tried. (I'm looking at you, Sony WF-1000XM3.) With the right tips, the MW08 don't sound muddy to me at all -- the words I'd use to describe their sound are "smooth, clear and effortless."

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #32,526 of 62,092
B&W PI7s arrived yesterday- the white ones. A couple of initial impressions:
  • My first reaction to them was that they are bass heavy and lack highs. I tried some different tips (settled on xelastic for now) and noticed much improved treble. The stock tips have a small black insert, foam or felt I assume that, I think, is filtering out some of the highs. With the xelastic tips the highs are quite detailed and sweet.
  • Sound stage is above average, instrument separation is good, overall tonal balance is warm and pleasing.
  • The included app is temperamental. If music is playing when it attempts to connect, there is sputtering until it succeeds. The lack of equalisation is annoying. I see it was updated today - still sputters on connection, though.
  • I have been getting dropouts. Phone is a Pixel 5. Putting them back in the case and reconnecting seems to fix this - for a while.
  • No matter where I place the case on wireless chargers, it doesn't charge. Not sure if this is a fault in the case or whether the chargers are all incompatible (that seems unlikely).
  • The ANC is about the same level as my other wireless IEMs - ie, not as good as over-ear ANC phones but better than nothing.
  • The sound signature changes when ANC is turned on.
  • Cosmetically, they are pretty, fairly small and reasonably comfortable.
Not sure whether I'll keep them. The sound (with non-stock tips) is interesting - typically B&W (I had the PX for a while) - and quite likable.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #32,528 of 62,092
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #32,529 of 62,092
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/suggestions

They purchased the PI7, and is awaiting testing.. I’m looking forward to how the test results will be for those. They seem to test a lot of different things others don’t, if you look at their other reviews.

here are the Bose QuietComfort reviews -
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-earbuds-truly-wireless
I looked at the UE Fits measurements they have, they couldn't get the left side to seal... I rarely read their actual reviews (for other reasons), but do use their raw, uncompensated plots when debating about ordering stuff.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #32,530 of 62,092
I do admit, I just look at the scores too. If it’s good enough, I’ll consider buying it. I’m looking more at the neutral sound score and the call quality score (call recording).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #32,531 of 62,092
I do admit, I just look at the scores too. If it’s good enough, I’ll consider buying it. I’m looking more at the neutral sound score and the call quality score.
I don't even look at their scores. The scores just say how close to the Harman curve it is; I don't agree with the 10 dB bump of the Harman curve they require. I literally just the raw measurement.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #32,532 of 62,092
I do admit, I just look at the scores too. If it’s good enough, I’ll consider buying it. I’m looking more at the neutral sound score and the call quality score (call recording).
I use them more for TV reviews but will also look at them to see the tuning/frequency response.

I wouldnt put too much faith in their scores, especially the call quality scores. The Galaxy Buds Live have a lower rating vs the Senn MTW (original) and the Galaxy Buds (original). I have all three and the Galaxy Buds Live are much better for calls than the other two. I find the Youtube reviews more helpful for call quality tests pr you can download some apps and test them yourself if you have them already.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #32,533 of 62,092
I use them more for TV reviews but will also look at them to see the tuning/frequency response.

I wouldnt put too much faith in their scores, especially the call quality scores. The Galaxy Buds Live have a lower rating vs the Senn MTW (original) and the Galaxy Buds (original). I have all three and the Galaxy Buds Live are much better for calls than the other two. I find the Youtube reviews more helpful for call quality tests pr you can download some apps and test them yourself if you have them already.
They tend to want/try to read what they want to read in the graphs rather than give a more true-to-life subjective impression of sound too. It's really quite jarring how much they could get wrong doing that. I remember in the APM review a commenter commented saying that they did everything in SBC. Their response was that they tested AAC but saw no differences. And in terms of measurement, that's likely true, but in terms of subjective differences that'll be huge. That and another thing in the review made me question whether or not they even listen to the headphones themselves or just try to read graphs.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #32,534 of 62,092
Which websites do you recommend for the reviews? I have headfonics, pocket lint, this one and a few others. Are the reviews on YouTube better? Thank you. Of course, these forums seem to be the best because of everyone’s opinions.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #32,535 of 62,092
Which websites do you recommend for the reviews? I have headfonics, pocket lint, this one and a few others. Are the reviews on YouTube better? Thank you. Of course, these forums seem to be the best because of everyone’s opinions.
Headfonia (different site than Headfonics)
The Headphone List
Major Hi-Fi (take with a grain of salt)
Antdroid
Twister6

PocketLint used to be great. That hack job of an initial impressions for the PI7 that they called a "review" gives a better illustration of where I think they are now. That was a senior editor's article and the grammar freak in me was screaming at my phone over it. Battery life was never tested and we know that's the biggest con to the unit. They're just not thorough.

Seems to be a chronic issue; these guys bring in more editors, don't vet them thoroughly, the senior staff don't edit them thoroughly. The volume of gear coming in to review only goes up and, eventually, the whole house of cards comes falling down.

Going to catch a lot of flak for this, but just look at Inner fidelity for an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back