Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 7, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #30,346 of 35,886

Canabuc

500+ Head-Fier
My comments on the Technics are earlier but I have to add the Ambient Sound mode is better than the MTW2. But they are going back due to simply having too low of a volume which to go along with a bit less bass than I like just means they don't have a punchy enough sound for me. The ANC though is really good. If you don't listen to your music loud, and don't need a lot of bass, the Technics might be perfect. I don't they don't have bass, they are not cold and analytical, just not as much bass as I needed, coming from the MTW2 and having experienced the JBL Club Pro Plus.

The Melomania Touch came in today. They paired easy, went to do the firmware upgrade - the left bud upgraded fine but the right kept failing. I had to reset the buds in the case then re-pair them and the firmware updated ok. Fit is more finicky with these than the MTW2 and the case is far more restrictive with 3rd party tips than the Senns and my favorite tips won't work with the MT case. The JBL case was also no good with the tips I like. These cases just don't close since they build them with tolerances so tied to the size of their own tips, very frustrating. Luckily a pair of Large Spinfits I have fit on the MT and go in the case. When you take these out of the case they take a bit longer to connect to my phone than either the Senns, JBL's or Technics.

These definitely get loud like I enjoy. They are just as loud or maybe a tiny bit louder than the MTW2. They just have a great organic fun sound to them. I like the stock MT sound with the equalizer left alone. Don't find them too bassy at all. They definitely have a really nice rich but still detailed sound. The touch controls are a bit finicky - too sensitive in many cases. I immediately disabled the volume controls on both buds as if you adjust the buds, you will set off the volume control. I kept all the other playback controls active though. We shall see how that goes but I think it will work out. Gonna have to test out the battery life with these at near full volume and see how long they go. I have these set to aptX only with my Google Pixel 5. The sound really is shining on these, I don't find myself missing the MTW2 sound, nor do I find these noticeably better either, more like a just as nice type of thing.

What phone youisng them with. They are insanely louder than the MTW2 for me.
My samdu g has volume increment up to 150. These at 95 are as loud or louder than sennheisers at 115!

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #30,347 of 35,886

PixelSquish

Previously known as idiotekniques
What phone youisng them with. They are insanely louder than the MTW2 for me.
My samdu g has volume increment up to 150. These at 95 are as loud or louder than sennheisers at 115!

I have the Google Pixel 5. There is no numerical scale on the volume control. I can say the MT are at least one but probably two clicks louder than the MTW2 on my volume control.

I can't wait to see the battery life on these. They claim 7 hours at the High Quality setting.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #30,348 of 35,886

Canabuc

500+ Head-Fier
I have the Google Pixel 5. There is no numerical scale on the volume control. I can say the MT are at least one but probably two clicks louder than the MTW2 on my volume control.

I can't wait to see the battery life on these. They claim 7 hours at the High Quality setting.
What other tws earbud do you currently own. I have to decide on the Sennheiser by Wednesday. Think they are going back. The sound is very nice but since genres don't do great with them and outside of ANC which is only mediocre, they don't offer anything more than the MT. At 100$ more.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #30,349 of 35,886

PixelSquish

What other tws earbud do you currently own. I have to decide on the Sennheiser by Wednesday. Think they are going back. The sound is very nice but since genres don't do great with them and outside of ANC which is only mediocre, they don't offer anything more than the MT. At 100$ more.
I own the Senn MTW2. I have tried the JBL Club Pro Plus and the Technics. The more I listen to these MT's at home just chilling out, where I usually don't usually just sit and listen to wireless IEM's, these are really nice sounding buds. When I walked the dog earlier with these I passed the garbage truck twice, and didn't stop to think these could use ANC. I'll see how they sound on the train on Wednesday but I don't foresee any problems.

The things I like more about the MTW2 is touch controls that aren't overly sensitive with true customizability, auto pausing the music with Ambient mode, a case that fits with more tips, and auto pausing the music when you take a bud out. Don't like the battery life. If it's all about sound, the MT's are great. Plus they reportedly have a chunk better battery life. The sound is very nice though. I don't mind the bass that some think needs to be tamed a little bit.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #30,350 of 35,886

Canabuc

500+ Head-Fier
Also one more case question bout the CA MT.
If I squeeze top of lid from each end then open with the other hand it opens smoothly. If I open from the front it almost feels as if the front lip catches briefly before it gives way. This and when case is closed there is a bit of wriggle with top lid makes me wonder if they are all like that or if mine has a bit of a defect. When closed it is secure and buds go in fine with red lights. And ho ge when fully open seems find.
Just wondering if all cases are like mine or if I should exchange.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #30,351 of 35,886

Canabuc

500+ Head-Fier
I own the Senn MTW2. I have tried the JBL Club Pro Plus and the Technics. The more I listen to these MT's at home just chilling out, where I usually don't usually just sit and listen to wireless IEM's, these are really nice sounding buds. When I walked the dog earlier with these I passed the garbage truck twice, and didn't stop to think these could use ANC. I'll see how they sound on the train on Wednesday but I don't foresee any problems.

The things I like more about the MTW2 is touch controls that aren't overly sensitive with true customizability, auto pausing the music with Ambient mode, a case that fits with more tips, and auto pausing the music when you take a bud out. Don't like the battery life. If it's all about sound, the MT's are great. Plus they reportedly have a chunk better battery life. The sound is very nice though. I don't mind the bass that some think needs to be tamed a little bit.
I agree the Sennheiser touch controls are the best. The pause music removing bid is not a big deal it literally is one tap as I remove the bud to pause it.

As far as ambient I prefer JBL implementation. There I have choice 1 where ambient goes with music and I choose music volume with it.
Hearthrough drops music to 10% and ambient sound is amplified more so better for a conversation or to listen to announcements.

With Sennheiser if you set ambient to pause your music then you can't listen to music with ambient at same time without going into the app to turn off that setting.

With MT again 1 press to pause and the true press to activate ambient but I can have both options that way.
Battery much better on MT.
As for sensitive touch controls I am learning how to hold the MT from the vertical end when inserting or adjusting and my phantom press rate is way down. Better than the galaxy buds pro where there was no accessible surface.

Did you return the JBL?
Right now am leaning towards keeping the MT and with the money saved can keep the Sennheiser cx400bt which were 100$ and give me nearly identical sound to MTW2. So get both for cost of MTW2.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #30,352 of 35,886

PixelSquish

I agree the Sennheiser touch controls are the best. The pause music removing bid is not a big deal it literally is one tap as I remove the bud to pause it.

As far as ambient I prefer JBL implementation. There I have choice 1 where ambient goes with music and I choose music volume with it.
Hearthrough drops music to 10% and ambient sound is amplified more so better for a conversation or to listen to announcements.

With Sennheiser if you set ambient to pause your music then you can't listen to music with ambient at same time without going into the app to turn off that setting.

With MT again 1 press to pause and the true press to activate ambient but I can have both options that way.
As for sensitive touch controls I am learning how to hold the MT from the vertical end when inserting or adjusting and my phantom press rate is way down. Better than the galaxy buds pro where there was no accessible surface.

Did you return the JBL?
Right now am leaning towards keeping the MT and with the money saved can keep the Sennheiser cx400bt which were 100$ and give me nearly identical sound to MTW2. So get both for cost of MTW2.
I returned the JBL's already. I initiated a return for the Technics. Gonna keep the MT to go along with the MTW2, since I've had those since last April. Which is good because they are only $150 and I'm happier with these than the JBL's or the Technics.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #30,354 of 35,886

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
@Canabuc

So max eartip length limit for MT is 8.4mm. Probably want to stay around 8mm or less just to be safe

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #30,356 of 35,886

bronco1015

500+ Head-Fier

Did you return the JBL?
What happens if you press play on your MTW2 with ambient activated? For me it just stays in ambient mode. when i switch from passive or ANC to Ambient it does pause the music, but then just pressing play on the left iem the music starts back up and can still hear what's going on around me.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #30,358 of 35,886

bronco1015

500+ Head-Fier
So, after more than 30000 posts... what is the answer to the question in the title? too soon? or we can start compare with wired?
start reading. If nothing else it might be fun to see people's journey. SQ is much better on products than it was when this thread started 3.5 years ago, and convenience is hard to argue with. IMO there are a lot of good products but TWEs are still behind wired when it comes to sound.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #30,359 of 35,886

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
start reading. If nothing else it might be fun to see people's journey. SQ is much better on products than it was when this thread started 3.5 years ago, and convenience is hard to argue with. IMO there are a lot of good products but TWEs are still behind wired when it comes to sound.
The main issue for me is still going to be battery life. Wired, you never have that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread