Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 5, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #30,226 of 62,019
I turned off all touch controls on mine. I guess these are no longer melomania "touch" for me :p

I just don't like touch controls for some reason. I turned them off on the other buds I tested too.
Funny you mention that. I was thinking today that the KEFs have the best controls of any TWS I’ve had.

One physical button on each bud instead of some others where you need to gently touch some specific part, slide your finger around, or 5 buttons in random locations.

example: press the left button once to switch from NC, ambient, and off (and it says, “ambient...” etc). Press and hold the left button to turn volume down

for the right button, 1 click starts and stops music, 2 clicks goes to the next song, click and hold turns up the volume

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #30,227 of 62,019
Hope it does because UAPP and Neutron, and even the Hiby app are all top-of the line (for android) apps. There may be better out there but I have yet to find ones that sound so good and have all the features these apps have. Let us know if that helps. If it doesn't try uninstalling it then booting your phone into recovery mode and clearing your cache, and reinstalling it.
Neutron is great on iOS too btw. Although the UI isn’t the best, it gives you a huge amount of control over things. Easily streams DSD files across a network

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #30,228 of 62,019
All this is with comparison between the two in mind: I can say (and I bet I'm not alone in this one) that the MT definately cannot bring out more detail than the N6Pro. That isn't the end of the story though. N6Pro has VERY weak bass. Oh it's there, and you can EQ it up, but when there is a bass heavy song playing I notice distortion in the sub-bass. There IS no mid bass to speak of, and the upper bass is recessed. While the bass on the MT is quite lovely (if you EQ it down a bit, because it is just too strong for me out of the box). It has really good sub-bass, and good mid bass, and good upper bass (these seem to have the biggest boost in sub-bass to my ears).

As for the mids and treble, the N6pro have some of the smoothest mids and best detail retrieval of TWS I have yet to hear. At first listen I thought they sounded very grainy, but found out that these are indeed pretty picky about the quality of music you feed them. They are a mid forward tuned set of TWS. I find I have to EQ down the 1k and 2k region a bit on these. The MT have a really warm and full sounding mid, but they are very recessed a lot (I find I have to EQ up the 1k and 2k regions). The treble is where these are not my favorite. You can EQ up the treble but it doesn't make them better at details, because when you do this, the treble becomes pretty thin sounding (though remember I am speaking comparatively here). Cymbals are the worst offender for this. These are not so much a V but more like a V with a broken right arm... :)

Overall, I would say I like the N6Pro better for rock and classical (anything I might want better detail). I like the MT better overall because they seem better matched to play just about anything, if you can live without the really good detail retrieval (they are more of a fun sound). This is not to say the detail retrieval is horrible on these, but compared to the N6Pro they are.
okay. yeah that's tough. Because yes you're right about bass on N6P, but i feel i have other products that fill the need for that. Famous last words but i think i'm gonna hold off on the MT then unless something else wears out. I think i'd like the sound a lot, but was hoping for basicly an N6P with better bass. Thanks for your reply.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #30,229 of 62,019
Just a warning the Technics suffer a battery case drain issue not too dissimilar from the 1st generation MTW.
having owned both the 1st gen MTW and AZ70 i would say the only comparison between these 2 in my experience was that they both had battery drain issue. the technics didn't start until maybe a month or so ago for me so after 6 months, the 1st gen MTW1 was right out of the gate. if you use both regularly it isn't really an issue. Also i've not seen nearly as much on line about battery drain on the AZ70 as i have for the MTW1 whatever that's worth. Based on personal experience but also what i've seen from others, while battery drain is unacceptable on any product to a certain degree, it's natural for batteries to slowly drain after all, comparing battery drain of the AZ70 vs MTW1 is pretty exaggerated.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #30,230 of 62,019
OnePlus restricted their options on the Recovery screen, so now you can't dump cache in Recovery Mode. Considered doing that as well. Will probably just end up doing a full wipe this weekend for the peace of mind.

Good news is my son gifted me $25 in Google Play credit. Could probably pick up both the HiBy and Neutron players and still have some spare change. Good call.
Looks like a full wipe took care of the gremlins for now. Volume control by phone works just fine with the MTs now Volume control's still borked, but at least pairing was effortless this time. I did learn that, if your MT factory reset is successful, one or both of the lights may not come back on after it's finished...means it's powered down and ready for immediate pairing after they get pulled out of the case. That's kinda nifty.

I'm just not looking forward to restoring all of my app logins now...man, I really need to get Titanium up and running on this thing.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #30,231 of 62,019
Been doing some A/B testing with the MT. They definitely outperform the Sony.
Their soundstage and instrument situation equals the Sennheiser.

The JBL still had a bigger bass. Still gets deep but has more definition and doesn't intrude on the mids. Also the Treble detail is a bit better.

Going to be tough decision as I really like both of these.
For those with the Cambridge Melomania touch for a while she's the ear cartilage plain go away? That ear fun is so rigid. Wish the tip of it was a bit more flexible. Hurts my ear after a while but I need it because without that fin I lose the ear seal needed to get the best sound.
The small ear fins don't work for me. Both the medium and large end up hurting. This might make them not a keeper if this can't be remedied or if over time this goes away.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #30,232 of 62,019
For those with the Cambridge Melomania touch for a while she's the ear cartilage plain go away? That ear fun is so rigid. Wish the tip of it was a bit more flexible. Hurts my ear after a while but I need it because without that fin I lose the ear seal needed to get the best sound.
The small ear fins don't work for me. Both the medium and large end up hurting. This might make them not a keeper if this can't be remedied or if over time this goes away.
I mean I'm going to tell you to either go with the small one or take a good look at where you're trying to get that fin to engage. I thought it was supposed to lock into the back corner at first, but that's what was causing my cartilage to flare up after a couple hours. I'd suggest you keep playing around with fit, maybe with the help of a mirror, and remember these don't need to be crammed in there to stay in place if the fit is right; they'll feel locked in, but not like they're pushing against anything.

Seems really counterintuitive, but the way Cambridge shows you in their instructional videos is exactly how I've managed to get consistently good fits. Just don't rotate the buds back too much.
IMG_20210305_143450.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #30,233 of 62,019
I did it like the video it just seems if I turn it forward as much as they describe, the pointy end of the fin pushes directly against the the ear cartilage. If I don't turn it as forward them it doesn't fit as secure.
Maybe I'm trusting to far forward.
I really want these to work. I live their sound and the ambient mode was great walking the dog today.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #30,234 of 62,019
I did it like the video it just seems if I turn it forward as much as they describe, the pointy end of the fin pushes directly against the the ear cartilage. If I don't turn it as forward them it doesn't fit as secure.
Maybe I'm trusting to far forward.
I really want these to work. I live their sound and the ambient mode was great walking the dog today.
If you take a closer look at that picture, you can see a gap between the fin and the front end of that ear cartilage. The fin actually sits somewhere in the middle (between front and back) securely. Like you, twisting it too far forward hurts, so I try to avoid that.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #30,235 of 62,019
If you take a closer look at that picture, you can see a gap between the fin and the front end of that ear cartilage. The fin actually sits somewhere in the middle (between front and back) securely. Like you, twisting it too far forward hurts, so I try to avoid that.
Seems a bit better this way. I also am trying my magic tips from my soundcore Liberty 2pro that seem to be the only tips that make the Sony and JBL work for me and sensibly they are better on these too. They are just a tiny bit shallower so the tip of the fin floats more and supports against the cartilage instead of paying the tip against the wall of the ear cartilage if you get my meaning.
That said I would prefer not to be aware of the find at all. Maybe more I am feeling the residual irritation.
The JBL while not as secure never caused pain.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #30,236 of 62,019
I'm wondering what this thread's take is on the galaxy pro's? I saw a bit about them a few months back and then nothing. I got a pair to go with my android phone (pixel 3) and PC, and I kinda like them, but they are a bit fatiguing to my ears and like many others don't fit well. The sound itself is good though, although sometimes the treble can be a bit too much. I had the sony wf-xsm3's for a while but didn't like the sound as much and had connection issues.

I'll likely return, but I'm unsure what to try next. I'm no audiophile, but the biggest single attribute I want is good sound, assuming they meet some minimum requirements. For me this is, in no particular order:

1. Good solid connection with my phone/PC
2. ANC (doesn't have to be top notch but it is important to me)
3. Hear through ie I want to be able to change a setting so I can talk to others without taking the iem's out. I love how on the samsung, if I talk it automatically goes to that mode.
4. Decently good mic - just enough for some calls and occasional webcam use.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #30,237 of 62,019
Seems a bit better this way. I also am trying my magic tips from my soundcore Liberty 2pro that seem to be the only tips that make the Sony and JBL work for me and sensibly they are better on these too. They are just a tiny bit shallower so the tip of the fin floats more and supports against the cartilage instead of paying the tip against the wall of the ear cartilage if you get my meaning.
That said I would prefer not to be aware of the find at all. Maybe more I am feeling the residual irritation.
I did find and link those Chi-Fi ones a few pages back. Might be worth considering, but it's AE...obv won't show up tomorrow via Prime.

It's very likely you're getting fatigued from messing around with a new pair so much. Have any over-ears you can take a break with?
I'm wondering what this thread's take is on the galaxy pro's? I saw a bit about them a few months back and then nothing. I got a pair to go with my android phone (pixel 3) and PC, and I kinda like them, but they are a bit fatiguing to my ears and like many others don't fit well. The sound itself is good though, although sometimes the treble can be a bit too much. I had the sony wf-xsm3's for a while but didn't like the sound as much and had connection issues.

I'll likely return, but I'm unsure what to try next. I'm no audiophile, but the biggest single attribute I want is good sound, assuming they meet some minimum requirements. For me this is, in no particular order:

3. Hear through ie I want to be able to change a setting so I can talk to others without taking the iem's out. I love how on the samsung, if I talk it automatically goes to that mode.
I'm in a very anti-Samsung camp after one of their Galaxy S4s tried to burn my house down. Wouldn't have been such a big deal if Samsung didn't try to outright deny it, all the way up the corporate ladder, then had that rash of issues about a year later. Long story short, Samsung's out for me no matter how good they are. It's a principle thing.

Based on the remainder of your requirements, the best option's going to be the Jabra 85t simply off Requirement 1 alone. That combined with the Jabra Link 380 provides a significant boost in both audio quality for general listening as well as call quality during all these work-from-home meetings. ANC is plenty robust, HearThrough works great, and I think I covered the mic well enough.

Pro tip: Look for the refurbished models on Jabra's Ebay page. They still have the Elite Active 75t for under $100, so you could reasonably apply that savings towards the Link (which I had to get from their website directly). With coupon, pretty sure I paid about $130 for those 85t. At that price, I can't complain about a dang thing.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #30,238 of 62,019

If AnC is important in any way then Jabra,Sony,Bose would be top 3 choices

If audio sound with ANC is important then Sennheiser momentum 2 true wireless would be best option.

If you are on a budget tronsmart Apollo bold has quite good ANC for about 100$

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #30,239 of 62,019
okay. yeah that's tough. Because yes you're right about bass on N6P, but i feel i have other products that fill the need for that. Famous last words but i think i'm gonna hold off on the MT then unless something else wears out. I think i'd like the sound a lot, but was hoping for basicly an N6P with better bass. Thanks for your reply.
If I could make a suggestion?! If you like the N6Pro sound but want better bass, then maybe you should try the Hifiman TWS600. They do in fact have much better bass. It is similar in that it is not totally in your face, but it is much fuller and has some texture to it. They are tuned to be mid forward just like the N6Pro, and they have great detail retrieval. Granted they are AAC or SBC (no AptX), but I can't really hear the difference on these. I think they did the codecs right. The big difference, besides the bass, is that the mids are actually a bit too forwards. I EQ down the 1k and 2k region a bit further than I do with the N6Pro (but you may like them as is). The other thing that makes them attractive is that they are only $50, so you really can't lose.

I would say that those two are very similar in tuning, but the Hifiman is actually a bit cleaner overall, just a bit shouty in the upper mid/lower treble, but certainly not sibilant at all. I believe they do burn-in (or your brain gets used it) and tone down a bit, but if you can't handle it, then just EQ that region down about 3 or 4 db.

These are some of the best fitting TWS I have, and I love the physical button (which is not TOO stiff or TOO soft). I have worn these all day at work and not a single hot-spot. Granted, I ditched the stock tips (which weren't bad per se') for the Final E tips (the regular ones), and they are even more comfortable for me. They also fit into the case with these (and I suspect any stock IEM tips) really well.

Keep in mind that when I say better bass, it is not boomy, nor is it huge amounts in quantity, but it is the quality. It DOES have more quantity too, but it is not all sub-bass, and it is much better controlled. There is good mid and upper bass too. I can hear the snares and all other drums much better on these (which is pretty much a prerequisite nowadays for me, because while I do like some synth bass, I really love analog or real instruments that make those sounds). I wouldn't classify the bass as fast and punchy as planars or even really good dynamics, but for a TWS it is almost an "audiophile" type of bass in its quality.

Anyhow just a suggestion if you like the N6Pro sound!

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #30,240 of 62,019
Yeah, even with the large selection of tips/wings I also found these to be hard to get a good fit. I ended up using the Spinfit CP360, and as of today, I have taken the wings out. I haven't had time to test them for a day or more yet, but even the small ones had a bit of a hot-spot (though not as big as the medium and large ones). Maybe my skin doesn't like the material used or something, because there was not really any pressure that would indicate they might hurt after a while. Hope you get them to your liking, because it would a shame if you had to get rid of them just because you can't get them stuffed in your ears comfortably....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back