Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #30,211 of 62,117
I have somehow managed to get them working again
On the plus side they sound a lot better .....but that could be as I was desperate to hear some music :relaxed: :relaxed:
I want to keep these but if I have to go through that pairing them every time then I will get rid......just dont have time for that
If I had to go through that much of a hassle pairing every time, I think mine would have been used for target practice a while ago. Fingers crossed you're good. If they still act squirrely, please give the factory reset a shot.

Also, inside the box for the MTs, you'll find the CEO's direct company email. I would highly suggest sharing your experience with them. I got a response within about a week that wasn't just copy-pasted, so that was pretty cool. My guess is, without any real ability to send error reporting to them otherwise, they may not know about some of these issues or they need a sufficient amount of people to escalate a bin request (aka a requested "fix").
Yes some reviews of the MT said the touch controls were too sensitive but the pairing issues have been fixed. I hope the touch controls just take some getting used to. I find them extremely handy on my MTW2's and they work very well on those buds.
Now that I'm used to them, I think they're great...as long as I'm not using UAPP. Then again, almost none of the TWS volume controls work very well when using UAPP, so it's not isolated to the MTs.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #30,212 of 62,117
The trIck with the touch controls is not to touch then by accident. Very quickly I have learned to handle it annual the buds from the top and bottom of the body avoiding the touch sensor.
Can it them in and take them off or August them this way as there is a good are of surface to do so.
I prefer the larger surface area compared to the jbl where 1/3 of time my touches don't register as I don't hit the sensor fully.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #30,213 of 62,117
The truck with the touch controls is not to touch then by accident. Very quickly I have learned to handle it annual the buds from the top and bottom of the body avoiding the touch sensor.
Can it them in and take them off or August them this way as there is a good are of surface to do so.
I prefer the larger surface area compared to the jbl where 1/3 of time my touches don't register as I don't hit the sensor fully.
JBL's touch controls really feel like an afterthought in comparison. I suppose you could consider each one a different extreme on the spectrum. It's possible focus groups didn't go for the name "Cambridge Melomania Breath-Counts-as-a-Touch"

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #30,214 of 62,117
JBL's touch controls really feel like an afterthought in comparison. I suppose you could consider each one a different extreme on the spectrum. It's possible focus groups didn't go for the name "Cambridge Melomania Breath-Counts-as-a-Touch"
Completely agree re: the JBL. Similar to the Sony WF's. You can't have volume controls AND passthrough controls with play/pause. Dumb. I love the JBL's but this one thing has been driving me nuts. That and I've been getting random skips while listening to music. As if the buds disconnect for a millisecond. Doesn't happen with any other buds I own.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #30,215 of 62,117
To put them back in the case correctly I have to take the large flanges off.......is everyone else finding they have to do this?

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #30,216 of 62,117
OK I will give my initial impression as requested. I wasn’t going to as I am no expert in headphones etc. I come on here to get advice rather than to give it to be honest

First things first the instructions are not good at all, I followed them exactly and I could not pair the earphones or connect them. Eventually I succeeded but this was time consuming and I succeeded by luck rather than the instructions provided.

I swapped the flange and tips for large and the fit was OK, pretty snug actually , at first I was pleased with this , but later realised that they do move about when I move….or even smile :relaxed:

First impressions soundwise was not good if I am honest. Bass overpowering everything , muddy as hell , could not hear any treble detail at all. The EQ is A MUST! So I have boosted the treble a little and tined down the bass too and it sounds a lot better. The Balanced option in the EQ was horrendous to my ears. Muddy , cloudy not so much a veil over the music …more like a big thick bath towel :relaxed::relaxed:

They are a bit fiddly to get in the ears too, and I end up turning them off sometimes when doing so, although I suspect this is my mishandling of the units until I get used to them.

The big plus so far is the EQ, its excellent and very responsive , the changes are very noticeable and they are immediate. I am still to get the sound I want but I will keep trying some options .

My main issue is I am struggling to charge them , been charging over an hour now and according to the App they are not charging, ie the percentages are staying the same. Again I will have to get the manual out and see what I am doing wrong ….it certainly a VERY TIGHT fit into the case so I am not sure I am placing them in the case correctly.

I just want to stress that I bought these for convenience and occasional use when lying in the garden in the summer for example so I was not expecting them to blow my mind.

My other gear is quite good too so I feel I may be a tad spoilt in this area.

Overall I need to hear more detail than what I am hearing. I have the ER4XR and I guess this is the sound I would like to get close to ……I will keep experimenting with the treble to see if I can get closer to that sound.

Only had them in for an hour and the ears are very itchy, like uncomfortably itchy….so I will have to see how this goes. I always use Comply foam tips for better comfort but not sure how they would go with these, and I certainly would not get them in the case

It sounds like I am not that impressed, but its early days and they are a convenience buy for me, They will be used sparingly I would imagine …..but I wanted to share my first impressions.

For me there is still a huge gap between wireless and wired from what I can hear. However in the past I have found new gear takes a little bit of adjusting to so I will continue to listen and experiment with the EQ.
I felt the very same way when I first started listening to them. I am in a similar boat as you (spoiled a bit...:)) I come from planar headphones/IEMs and BA IEMs too. But, after finding the EQ I use, I just listened to them for a week or so, and they are sounding better to me, whether it is (the debated) burn-in, or brain/ear burn-in I do not know, but I agree with everything you noticed about these. Once you get the bass under control it does have very nice texture to it, though not as fast as something like a good BA or Planar. But, it just doesn't drown everything else out. I boost the highs and mids and subtract sub-bass (the main culprit), and boost the upper bass a bit to give it less rumble/boomy, and more thump. IMO this gives the perception that the bass is a bit tighter and faster (the way I love it).

It's a shame about the charging issue though. I have had 0 issues with mine, as long as I verify that the slow blinking light is on both of them before I close the case. I do hope you get it all squared away, as they ARE good (better than most I have listened to thus far) for TWS, even though out of the box they are not the tuning I prefer at all. I DO agree with you, that there is still a noticeable gap between TWS and even the next quality step up, wireless. I have a pair of Hifiman Deva (bluetooth) that are REALLY close to wired sound, so I hope the TWS category will catch up pretty soon.

One day soon, a company will do something like Hifiman has done (with their over ear phones), and create an audiophile grade TWS that is cheaper than most regular TWS. I believe this will start a trend that we will benefit from most.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #30,217 of 62,117
To put them back in the case correctly I have to take the large flanges off.......is everyone else finding they have to do this?
Yes! The Large flanges jut out quite a bit. The proper in-case tolerance for those is probably really small, so you might want to consider going down to a Medium and just rotating the buds a little further towards the back of the ear to keep a grip.

Now that I'm proficient with insertion/removal, it really can be a one-handed thing and I think I've stumbled across a thing or two:
  1. Don't go for deep insertion like you would with the Etys; try them with the tip just resting on your ear canal instead and see if that doesn't help.
  2. The larger earfins are not necessarily better for helping keep these things locked in your ear. I used to think I needed a Medium fin on all of my pairs to keep a secure fit, but was having issues with sore cartilage over time. Going down a size has eliminated that entirely and long-term comfort is massively improved. Yes, it takes getting used to.
  3. Chances are, things are probably going to feel boomy at first, which you can tame by using the EQ to drop Bass 1 (subbass) and Bass 2 (aka bass/midbass).

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #30,218 of 62,117
If I had to go through that much of a hassle pairing every time, I think mine would have been used for target practice a while ago. Fingers crossed you're good. If they still act squirrely, please give the factory reset a shot.

Also, inside the box for the MTs, you'll find the CEO's direct company email. I would highly suggest sharing your experience with them. I got a response within about a week that wasn't just copy-pasted, so that was pretty cool. My guess is, without any real ability to send error reporting to them otherwise, they may not know about some of these issues or they need a sufficient amount of people to escalate a bin request (aka a requested "fix").

Now that I'm used to them, I think they're great...as long as I'm not using UAPP. Then again, almost none of the TWS volume controls work very well when using UAPP, so it's not isolated to the MTs.
Might be your install of UAPP, as I have had no issues for over a year with UAPP (it is my go-to app for the PEQ and Tonbooster Morphit) on my DX160, even with bluetooth.

The truck with the touch controls is not to touch then by accident. Very quickly I have learned to handle it annual the buds from the top and bottom of the body avoiding the touch sensor.
In this case I think proof-reading is a great thing my friend. I get the main gist, but can't understand a lot of what you are trying to convey here.. hehe Did you write this from your phone? Prolly' "Auto-correct" in action..... At least it didn't put in anything too dirty... LOL

But, to your point, I do the same thing, and it was very tricky at first.... I think the lack of instant pairing has helped these, as I can normally manage to get them into my ears before they actually pair. This prevents me from hitting something by accident. Maybe they should have added a touch control to not have them turn on automatically, and you have to hold the touch pad for a time before they turn on. This would give you time to get them into your ears and comfortable before they try and pair.
I didn't have this issue when I was using the large wings... I have found the best way (for me) to put them in the case is to line them up from about half inch away from the case, then when you drop them, gravity and the magnet strength will get them where they need to be. But from what I have been reading, not everyone's case is the same, and there were issues with them seating properly in the beginning.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #30,219 of 62,117
Might be your install of UAPP, as I have had no issues for over a year with UAPP (it is my go-to app for the PEQ and Tonbooster Morphit) on my DX160, even with bluetooth.
Good point. Could also be because I used OnePlus Switch to migrate everything over from a Pixel 3a, so brought some gremlins over in the process. Let's see if an uninstall/reinstall helps.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #30,220 of 62,117
Good point. Could also be because I used OnePlus Switch to migrate everything over from a Pixel 3a, so brought some gremlins over in the process. Let's see if an uninstall/reinstall helps.
Hope it does because UAPP and Neutron, and even the Hiby app are all top-of the line (for android) apps. There may be better out there but I have yet to find ones that sound so good and have all the features these apps have. Let us know if that helps. If it doesn't try uninstalling it then booting your phone into recovery mode and clearing your cache, and reinstalling it.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #30,221 of 62,117
BTW. I found this forum, that seems to have a lot of people that have had the MT since the beginning. You can read about the woes they had before FW updates fixed a lot of things here

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #30,222 of 62,117
Hope it does because UAPP and Neutron, and even the Hiby app are all top-of the line (for android) apps. There may be better out there but I have yet to find ones that sound so good and have all the features these apps have. Let us know if that helps. If it doesn't try uninstalling it then booting your phone into recovery mode and clearing your cache, and reinstalling it.
OnePlus restricted their options on the Recovery screen, so now you can't dump cache in Recovery Mode. Considered doing that as well. Will probably just end up doing a full wipe this weekend for the peace of mind.

Good news is my son gifted me $25 in Google Play credit. Could probably pick up both the HiBy and Neutron players and still have some spare change. Good call.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #30,224 of 62,117
Thanks for all the help again guys. I am off to do some listening now so hoping they just work straight out of the charging case this time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back