Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #29,701 of 42,214

miserybeforethemusic

Headphoneus Supremus
That sounds like a rough day. Realistically though, the only tip I can't get out with my fingers if they lodge in my ear was the Apple dual-driver IEMs from way back in the day. The tip was about twice the length of the nozzle connector piece of the tip and the headphones needed deep insertion and a strong seal to get bass out of them. Luckily the filters screw into the IEM's housing nozzle.

Good luck on your adventure. If all else fails there is Loctite.
Hah never Loctite. Neither Gorilla Glue, since we apparently have to clarify in year 2021.

Didn't last long, anyway. The SpinFits technically attach to the bud and they did stay secure during my testing, but...

IMG_20210225_144206.jpg
You can clearly see there's a massive difference in both protection and apparent port size for each tip. While the SpinFits do stay secure on the nozzle (and even fit inside the case), they do have to be stretched on pretty tight. I think that, in combination with the longer nozzle and smaller bore, produce a transmission effect and I don't mean that in a pleasant way. The bass was completely sucked out and upper mids/treble got stabby. I don't think I lasted more than a couple minutes.

But hey...they don't come off, so if comfort's an absolute requirement and the 85t aren't cutting it, I suppose this would work in a pinch.

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #29,702 of 42,214

miserybeforethemusic

Headphoneus Supremus
Learned something interesting about the UE FITS. Wonder what the logic was behind taking such a large dynamic driver and reducing its usable surface area to this:

IMG_20210225_144049.jpg
And it still sounds fantastic. Weird.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #29,703 of 42,214

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
One of the reasons why I gave up portable/IEM in favor of fullsize HPs and desktop setup was because I got so tired of tip rolling w/ IEMs. You're never sure which one sounds the best so you're constantly tip rolling going back and forth between hundred different sets of tips. In the end I usually settled with spinfit or comply foam tips. Another thing you have to contend with is the possibility of drastic sound change with certain tips.

So do you find tonal balance acceptable with the 85ts? What about timbre? I don't care about lack of bass as long as there's some 'body' in the midrange and the HF isn't shouty or sibilant.
Tips making a significant different is real. It just baffles me how much of a difference tips make in how iem sounds. It's a must for all iems for making any final judgements on it. Usually, when there is elevated treble, tip rolling will not change that, but I notice tip rolling will change how the details, sound stage, imaging, and bass are presented. It's been years since I've listened with iems, and when I first noticed how even the bore size changes how the sound is perceived baffled my mind.

I don't mind tip rolling personally. The part of the fun for me is, anticipating what the tips will do the sound, and sometimes results in unexpected surprised, and it feels like payoff. I just find it sad that companies chooses to ignore this and provide crappy tips, and sometimes with trial and error you arrive at sound performance you didn't expect.

After tip rolling alot you notice what tips works well consistantly or most times. For me it's been Final Audio, Spiral Dots, Kanas Pro, and in minor cases Spin Fits. Those are almost always guaranteed to get the maximum sound performance out of any iem I try so I go through them first. Tips can't vary too much you'd find, once you narrowed down to several top tips that works best for you.

Tonal balance is better than acceptable with 85t. I think the tonal balance is one of the best. It doesn't lack bass. Bass is highly present above neutral. The quality isn't on the level of Galaxy Buds Pro, but Buds Pro comes with it's issue of highs being too much at times. I find it warm sounding, and lower minds may need some reduction.

The trend I'm noticing with TWS are proprietary tips following Apple's trend. This is a terrible trend for tip rolling.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #29,704 of 42,214

voicemaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Headphones also benefit from earpad rolling FYI. :)

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #29,706 of 42,214

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
One of the reasons why I gave up portable/IEM in favor of fullsize HPs and desktop setup was because I got so tired of tip rolling w/ IEMs. You're never sure which one sounds the best so you're constantly tip rolling going back and forth between hundred different sets of tips. In the end I usually settled with spinfit or comply foam tips. Another thing you have to contend with is the possibility of drastic sound change with certain tips.

So do you find tonal balance acceptable with the 85ts? What about timbre? I don't care about lack of bass as long as there's some 'body' in the midrange and the HF isn't shouty or sibilant.

Just FYI, ear pad rolling is a thing too. I tend to not tip roll outside supplied tips unless I'm not getting a good seal (drop-off in bass) or run into flex issues (seal too strong). I also tend to also not ear pad roll either, though I believe I did that with the HE-560 at one point with HiFiMan's focus pads. How the full-sized is placed on your head (more forward or backward, physically) can also change the sound too. With regards to IEMs, how deep you insert the IEMs will also change the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #29,707 of 42,214

KPzypher

500+ Head-Fier
Just FYI, ear pad rolling is a thing too. I tend to not tip roll outside supplied tips unless I'm not getting a good seal (drop-off in bass) or run into flex issues (seal too strong). I also tend to also not ear pad roll either, though I believe I did that with the HE-560 at one point with HiFiMan's focus pads. How the full-sized is placed on your head (more forward or backward, physically) can also change the sound too. With regards to IEMs, how deep you insert the IEMs will also change the sound.

Of course ear pad rolling is a thing. I own enough headphones and have aftermarket pads for almost all my headphones. But I do it more to keep a backup pair rather than to remedy fit/seal issues. Pad swapping on headphones is way less stressful than tip rolling on IEMs.

Anyways, my recent foray into TWS made me realize once again how much I hate fiddling w/ in-ears to get a perfect seal and good fit to avoid discomfort.

I think I've sampled enough current gen TWS to get a good feel for their strengths and weaknesses WRT latest TWS tech, so I'm going to move to full-size wireless ANC for a bit until next gen TWS starts to hit the market (5.2, LE, LDAC, etc.).

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #29,708 of 42,214

miserybeforethemusic

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going to move to full-size wireless ANC for a bit until next gen TWS starts to hit the market (5.2, LE, LDAC, etc.).
I highly, HIGHLY suggest that you start with the Soundcore Q30 if you do this. In my opinion, those are the current gold standard for entry-level ANC over-ears. Anker/Soundcore got so many little things right when they designed these. If you could imagine this forum building that one pair that would bridge the gap between normal listeners and the enthusiasts, I think you'd end up somewhere close to what Soundcore released. Sure, they're not going to be the best-sounding pair you'll run across in your journey, but I really think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't see how all-around good those Q30 are. Seeing them ask less than $100 for them is honestly shocking.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #29,709 of 42,214

tinyman392

Of course ear pad rolling is a thing. I own enough headphones and have aftermarket pads for almost all my headphones. But I do it more to keep a backup pair rather than to remedy fit/seal issues. Pad swapping on headphones is way less stressful than tip rolling on IEMs.

Anyways, my recent foray into TWS made me realize once again how much I hate fiddling w/ in-ears to get a perfect seal and good fit to avoid discomfort.

I think I've sampled enough current gen TWS to get a good feel for their strengths and weaknesses WRT latest TWS tech, so I'm going to move to full-size wireless ANC for a bit until next gen TWS starts to hit the market (5.2, LE, LDAC, etc.).

Full-sized ANC tends to do better than IEM ANC which is often shallow fit. Though I always found the passive isolation with a pair of IEMs that seated deeper to be more than adequate; not needing ANC.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #29,710 of 42,214

Canabuc

500+ Head-Fier
Might need to be careful with this one. The 85ts require different tips than most IEMs; I couldn't use any of my spare stock without having the tips end up lodged in my ears. That's an easy enough fix when at home, but I couldn't imagine that happening to you while commuting.

85t tips have wax guard built into the tip not the bud. Be careful or if wax get into the body of the earbud you could ruin the volume and sound.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #29,711 of 42,214

miserybeforethemusic

Headphoneus Supremus
85t tips have wax guard built into the tip not the bud. Be careful or if wax get into the body of the earbud you could ruin the volume and sound.
Thanks and I agree. I honestly just did it because I wasn't sure if it would work and I'd rather have found out for myself. Something akin to a "hold my beer" moment for me. I'd much rather run the stock tips based on how they sit in the ear.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #29,712 of 42,214

jibberish

100+ Head-Fier
I wish I could've tried the 85t with the stock tips, but the largest stock tips still weren't big enough for my ears, and I could never get a seal. I am using them currently with the big, narrow bore orange silicon tips from the Sony MH755, and it's working quite well. That is a good point about the screen guard in the stock tips though, I should figure out a solution for that.

I still really am enjoying the 85t though. I think the tuning, sound stage, and imaging are all very good, but it does lack a bit in terms of resolution and ability to handle complex passages. The bass does go deep when you have a good seal, very audible sub bass with good extension, just not very good texture or impact. Also all the non-music aspects about the 85t are top notch.

I'm now considering the JBL Club Pro Plus, based on the feedback I've seen about that set. I do think I'll try to wait to see if a sale price pops up though, I'm in pretty good shape with the 85t and Technics AZ70 at the moment.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #29,714 of 42,214

tinyman392

Anybody know what the personal audiogram does? I took a hearing test on the Jabra app that created an audiogram.
If it’s like on iOS and the AirPods, it’ll adjust/EQ the sound of the headphones to your hearing. So if you have lost higher frequency hearing due to age, it would adjust that for example.

Edit: there are a few apps that do this as well on iOS if I’m not mistaken. The audio gram has to be tailored to the respective headphone. Not a warning for you, since you’re using the Jabra app. For others though, don’t create or use one if it’s not designed for your specific headphone as you’ll get sporadic results. I haven’t personally used any audio grams though.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #29,715 of 42,214

FYLegend

1000+ Head-Fier
I highly, HIGHLY suggest that you start with the Soundcore Q30 if you do this. In my opinion, those are the current gold standard for entry-level ANC over-ears. Anker/Soundcore got so many little things right when they designed these. If you could imagine this forum building that one pair that would bridge the gap between normal listeners and the enthusiasts, I think you'd end up somewhere close to what Soundcore released. Sure, they're not going to be the best-sounding pair you'll run across in your journey, but I really think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't see how all-around good those Q30 are. Seeing them ask less than $100 for them is honestly shocking.
I've been enjoying them a lot as my daily driver but the creaking headband drives me nuts. I've also had occasions my long hair gets caught in the headband when taking them off. My Dyplay Urban Traveller 2 has superior ANC and build quality but lacks an ambient mode and the sound with ANC on may be too bright for most listeners.

Back in 2019 my gripe was most of these budget headphones still didn't have USB-C, but the budget market is opening up and I'm curious how the Tranya H10, Monoprice BT-600 compare... Wyze is another promising budget option.

Users who are viewing this thread