Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #26,266 of 61,981
I was just at a park and walking around for about an hour with just a few trees and no buildings for a Bluetooth signal to bounce off of and I had zero drop outs using the Bose Quietcomfort true wireless earbuds.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #26,267 of 61,981
Based on your ownership of it so far, has there been dropouts? I loved my Bose SSF, except the persistent dropouts or cutouts on one side were just too much to live with.
Just used them at my desk mostly, but there were no issues when walking into the room next door. Let's put it this way, I haven't experienced any drop outs in situations where there shouldn't be any.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #26,268 of 61,981
What is the best sounding TWS under $100 or so with physical buttons, none of this touch malarkey?

I’ve resolved my problem with the T1XS’ by de-syncing and re-syncing everything - that seems to have banished the internal mic rainstorms. Switching on the Easy Mode has restored the full touch controls (which is the opposite of what the app claims it does).

On the other hand I’ve realised that I hate this feeling of having two little computers hanging off my ears, just waiting for any stray touch to react unpredictably. I’m longing for the old simplicity of physical buttons I knew from the Tranyas.

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #26,270 of 61,981
So I received my Bose QC Earbuds too and they have both great and weak aspects.

Starting with what can make or break a TWE, the fit is terrific in spite of the dubious form factor. They don't look as weird as the previous Bose earbuds fortunately and are in fact pretty close to the XM3s going from memory, maybe a tad larger ? The massive difference with the XM3s is that they were clearly designed by people who worried about how they would be worn (what ?!) and are close to perfect in that respect. The tips create a seal (more on that later) that does not vary however hard you might want to shake your head, they balance the weight very well and you forget you have those heavy things in your ears. One slight niggle is that my ears got a bit itchy after an hour but that's possibly due to the rubber having to "wear in" a bit. Unusually I didn't have to use the L size tips so people with smaller ears might feel some pressure with the S size.

SQ is very pleasant if indeed a bit low on bass, especially when you're on the move. Someone mentioned "fatigue" and I can see where that might come from as they are a tad "bright", more so than the QC25 that I usually wear at my desk. I thought the App had an EQ but I was wrong. The separation and soundstage are great, not unlike the LP2s my goto "critical listening" TWEs. More listening required here, especially for the "fatigue" part.

Overall isolation is good and even "impressive" when activated, like for the APPs, but unlike other ANC models you can't tell what's due to passive isolation and to ANC since it can't be turned off (more on that later). The passive isolation seems better than on the QC20 but still quite light as non droning sounds do not get filtered out like they do with the Bomaker SiFi II or the Amazon Echo Buds. The big letdown is the lack of an ANC OFF setting for windy situations, instead we have 3 useless "favorites" (ANC level from 0/Ambient to 10) that can be toggled with a double tap on the left bud. Someone needs to wake-up at Bose and make one of the "levels" off ! In the meantime it will be impossible to use these on a bike and likely while running (will try later) or even while walking in the wind. Oh and an option to pause music when using the 0/Ambient level would be convenient too.

The case is...the bulkiest I have ever seen I think and it's "boxy" too, at least the Echo Buds case is flatter. Also I'm not a fan of the button to unlock it. I can see how it could help in the rare case where you drop it but the rest of the time it's a pain to open as you have to push the button right in.

So not bad, but for the price I'd want them to be great and without all these sore points (no ANC Off, bulk of buds/case, poor controls) for them to replace my goto "travel" TWEs, the Amazon Echo Buds that have only one real negative, their microUSB port and that I can easily live with. As QC25/35 replacements for desk use ? Sure as they are less tiring to wear and don't cut you out from people you might have to interact with. Or if you spend your time on planes, but who does these days ?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #26,271 of 61,981
What is the best sounding TWS under $100 or so with physical buttons, none of this touch malarkey?

I’ve resolved my problem with the T1XS’ by de-syncing and re-syncing everything - that seems to have banished the internal mic rainstorms. Switching on the Easy Mode has restored the full touch controls (which is the opposite of what the app claims it does).

On the other hand I’ve realised that I hate this feeling of having two little computers hanging off my ears, just waiting for any stray touch to react unpredictably. I’m longing for the old simplicity of physical buttons I knew from the Tranyas.
Lypertek tevi would be a good choice.

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #26,272 of 61,981
Pulled the trigger on the discount yesterday.

The 129$ cad L2P are coming in later today :L3000:

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #26,273 of 61,981

Hiss kinda sounds like monitor mode was on TBH.

Which brings me to another wierd quirk with the T1XS: Monitor doesn't even work when you're listening to a non-music steam (like games or whatnot).

Or maybe it's "not working" coz I have "Game Mode" on (which literally knocks 100ms-ish off the already good base latency).

(Upon further testing nahhhh Monitor Mode is working fine, even with "Game Mode" on. It's just that MonMode doesn't actually stop or reduce the volume of the stream being played be it music or anything so the "passthrough" gets covered over with sound unless you pull volume down. So yeah false alarm for the most part)

It's kinda funny that the side switching and "True" wireless-ness of the non-Qualcomm T1XS is actually "BETTER" (as in, truly seamless) than how it works with a TWS+ set (my COAs - and yes I have a Snap 845 with TWS+ enabled). Whatever chipset they're using, it's pretty good at least in that department.

And of course in terms of latency, which it smokes the L2P and the COA at, even with base settings without "Game Mode" on.

Plus, they actually go pretty snug in, which might be both a pro and a con. For one thing passive NC is stellar but the "snug-thud" thing is pretty real lol (not to mention having to tweak it around to make sure my Sony hybrids are not actually blocking sound).

For pure listening joy the L2Ps still take the cake in my mind, even if the T1XSes are proving to be a pretty convenient pair to use day-to-day (small, monitor-mode, relatively good SQ, less finicky truly seamless side switching - with wear-detect off that is).

I do wish they would have stuck a spring into the lid of the T1XS case to make it pop up and stay open. Sometimes it's almost a chore to have to hold the lid open to extract the buds out (and sometimes you get unlucky, and one bud gets caught on the top of the lid as it drops down and is almost thrown out of your hands onto the ground 🤣).

As a side note, I think you can tune down the touch sensitivity on the T1XS through the app if it's bothering you? Not sure how much that would help however.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #26,275 of 61,981
Bilde_2020-10-06_164428.png
What more technical info do you need?

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #26,276 of 61,981
I feel like they are all more or less the same now. There is only so much they can do with the current crop of Qualcomm chips

Oct 6, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #26,278 of 61,981
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #26,279 of 61,981
Oct 6, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #26,280 of 61,981
I've been loving the XM3's as my primary TWEs (with only a couple of Chi-Fi options as my backups), but am intrigued by the Bose QC's. I never had the fit problem with the XM3's that many do and I think they are overall a great pair. I love the ambient sound and sound quality in general. With that being said, for people who have tried and liked the XM3's and now have the QC's, how much better would you say the QC's are, and is it worth upgrading?

It's either that or wait for the XM4's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back