Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 17, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #18,721 of 62,129
Not to rain on everyone's parade but if for you AAC codec compatibilty is important (iPhone users), I need to warn you, that so far my QCC3020 equipped Bomaker Sifi, can't connect to any device with AAC but only SBC, On the other side APTX codec does work if forced on my Apple laptop. It's a shame because indeed in terms of sound they are very good while using them with superior APTX versus with SBC...

SBC codec always has a characteristic shrill high pitched overtone sound, when sub-bass sounds are produced. Usually you can hear this clearly with the test "Bass Shaker" over the Audiocheck Headphones Test webpage: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

If you want to confirm which codec you are using with your Qualcomm 3020 chipset equiped TWSs and if you have an Apple computer, you can press the Bluetooth icon on the top bar together with the Alt key and you get a more complete menu which describes which codec you are currently using with your device.

It's a pitty, but they will be returned to Amazon for false advertising on the AAC codec compatibility. At the same time I've checked the Qualcomm 3020 page and nowhere is to be found AAC compatibility. Amazing that every product equipped with the QCC 3020 (Bomaker Sifi, Mpow M5, Tronsmart Spunky Beats, etc...) they all tout AAC codec compatibility... Chi-fi at its best...

Another PSA for fellow APP enthusiasts. A YouTube video brought to my attention the existence of 3rd party memory foam tips for the APP with a link to eBay where they can be had for 30$ for the set.
Quick deep dive on AE reveals much better pricing and also sponge tips and color tips.

also regular replacements are available for cheap and they already have some positive reviews.

ordered the memory foam ones and will chime back in in “30-50 days” :wink:

Beware that the sponge ones are also labeled as ‘memory foam’
Thanks for the Links, I ordered some Mem Foam and Some Grey and Black tips, I'm excited!

have you gotten one from a company called World? i've gotten a few messages from them on fb somehow. i replied to the first
I have not. I got my invite directly from Ida @ tranya. She also told me there's a new Rimor being released at the end of this month.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #18,722 of 62,129
Thanks for the Links, I ordered some Mem Foam and Some Grey and Black tips, I'm excited!
I knew someone else would get excited about accessorizing their APP (how many cases did you get so far? I have no idea what the hype is on AE with 'DHL' logo as a design choice, but somehow I needed THIS case :D )

DHLAE.jpg

I am still holding off on those red tips, as they want to charge me over 3$ for shipping (might be my location being the issue). Waiting for more sellers to offer them

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #18,723 of 62,129

I have not. I got my invite directly from Ida @ tranya. She also told me there's a new Rimor being released at the end of this month.
world is different than Tranya as far as i can tell. My invite for the b530 pro came from ida. but this World" is supposedly a different company, they want to release a sports focused twe is really all i know at this point. not gonna work with them though, because they want a 5star review. i didn't even bother replying back.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #18,724 of 62,129
I knew someone else would get excited about accessorizing their APP (how many cases did you get so far? I have no idea what the hype is on AE with 'DHL' logo as a design choice, but somehow I needed THIS case :D )

There can be problems with some of these APP cases. I have a silicon one where the hinge prevents you from using a wireless charger because the design prevents you from laying the whole thing flat against the charger. Then there are the hard types where when you open the case it puts unnecessary pressure on the APP’s own hinge.
There was also one for the Sony WF-1000XM3 where its magnetic flap interfered with the auto power on of the earbuds.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #18,725 of 62,129
just got an invite to review Tranya's upcoming B530 Pro. Apparently will have BT5, 80 hours playtime including charges in case, guessing that either means they expect 8 or 10 hours from the iems. also says APTX compatible with CVC8.0. Wonder if they're using Qualcom's QC3020 that would make sense from a battery life perspective and CVC8.0.
They will charge via USB-C and retail for $69.99
How do you get an invite? Do they contact people they are familiar with as reviewers?

The site still lists microUSB for the B530 Pro. I suspect they are leaving it for the Rimor and the new version (which might have AptX).

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #18,726 of 62,129
How do you get an invite? Do they contact people they are familiar with as reviewers?

The site still lists microUSB for the B530 Pro. I suspect they are leaving it for the Rimor and the new version (which might have AptX).
Back in August, at Jimmyr posted in this thread that Tranya was looking for testers in the states. a bunch of us went and liked their fb page and messaged saying we were interested. or maybe emailed first i canlt remember for sure. but i think i messaged them then got an email, reviewed the b530 and now will do the same for the b530 pro.
What i posted about USB-C and APTX was included in the email i got yesterday as part of the invite. I'll be able to confirm when they get here tomorrow.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #18,727 of 62,129
Not to rain on everyone's parade but if for you AAC codec compatibilty is important (iPhone users), I need to warn you, that so far my QCC3020 equipped Bomaker Sifi, can't connect to any device with AAC but only SBC, On the other side APTX codec does work if forced on my Apple laptop. It's a shame because indeed in terms of sound they are very good while using them with superior APTX versus with SBC...

SBC codec always has a characteristic shrill high pitched overtone sound, when sub-bass sounds are produced. Usually you can hear this clearly with the test "Bass Shaker" over the Audiocheck Headphones Test webpage: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

If you want to confirm which codec you are using with your Qualcomm 3020 chipset equiped TWSs and if you have an Apple computer, you can press the Bluetooth icon on the top bar together with the Alt key and you get a more complete menu which describes which codec you are currently using with your device.

It's a pitty, but they will be returned to Amazon for false advertising on the AAC codec compatibility. At the same time I've checked the Qualcomm 3020 page and nowhere is to be found AAC compatibility. Amazing that every product equipped with the QCC 3020 (Bomaker Sifi, Mpow M5, Tronsmart Spunky Beats, etc...) they all tout AAC codec compatibility... Chi-fi at its best...
This is really interesting. I didn’t mind codecs so far, mostly because I just review earphones on how they sound. The underlying codec may perhaps be relevant for like 10% of the earphone buyers? So far though, I always write the supported codecs in the specs above my review. May have to reconsider I see. Have to check it better appearantly.

I don’t find it a really big problem however, as I find the Sifi sound so good. :)

Just tested the Geekfly GF8. First thought is the implementation is definitely intriguing for a true wireless. After listening to the GF8 different modes, I am very impressed by the sound. For the sound, I will choose the GF8 over my Sony WF-1000XM3.

Sounds great! Can you tell more about the sound signature?

Nice review, I'm a bit surprised you find they isolate well though as it's been acknowledged by most (all?) here that it's not its strong point and can only really be used in quiet environments. The wings do help (without them the fit would probably be as bad as on the WF-1000Xm3 unless you ram them in your ear) for the fit but still not very stable due to their size and weight. The T1X are much better for both these aspects in my experience. Thy don't sound as pleasant though with their rather narrow (at least compared to the L2P) soundstage.
I seem to prefer a less soundstage with excellent instrument placement way above a wider soundstage with poor placement. :)

Edit: bought the Geekfly TWS. And the new TFZ Coco. And the new Wharfedale WPods. :p

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #18,728 of 62,129
There can be problems with some of these APP cases. I have a silicon one where the hinge prevents you from using a wireless charger because the design prevents you from laying the whole thing flat against the charger. Then there are the hard types where when you open the case it puts unnecessary pressure on the APP’s own hinge.
There was also one for the Sony WF-1000XM3 where its magnetic flap interfered with the auto power on of the earbuds.

this is what i use for my XM3

20200117_143533.jpg 20200117_143542.jpg

i also opted from buying the ones with magnetic flaps because some reviewers said it interfered with the battery life of the case. this one uses push button, so it's safe. also it's real leather, i just love the feel and smell of it :ksc75smile:

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #18,729 of 62,129
this is what i use for my XM3

i also opted from buying the ones with magnetic flaps because some reviewers said it interfered with the battery life of the case. this one uses push button, so it's safe. also it's real leather, i just love the feel and smell of it :ksc75smile:

This looks like the kind of case @georgelai57 is describing as in 'take out of case if you like wireless charging' :) It sure looks good and I am not a super duper vegan, but I refrain from buying leather, as nice as it looks / feels / smells ... my other case is simple 'faux' pleather.

Yeah, when browsing through cases I made sure that it looked flat enough for charging (also: not adding too much bulk) and nothing fancy (not sure I ever noticed 'magnetic flap') ... those DHL ones are just 2 not even connected pieces that happen to fit nice and tight, only thing missing is a hole to see the charging light.

Interesting side observation: those little cases we see on AE for 1$ (simple silicone) or 2-3$ (bit more fancy), are being sold in Japan for 2000¥, 3000¥ and more, so, like 10 times. Some smart importer puts them in fancy looking boxes to make them look extra premium (same with phone cases!)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #18,730 of 62,129
Back in August, at Jimmyr posted in this thread that Tranya was looking for testers in the states. a bunch of us went and liked their fb page and messaged saying we were interested. or maybe emailed first i canlt remember for sure. but i think i messaged them then got an email, reviewed the b530 and now will do the same for the b530 pro.
What i posted about USB-C and APTX was included in the email i got yesterday as part of the invite. I'll be able to confirm when they get here tomorrow.
Oh, now I remember hearing something like that... unfortunately not in Canada (they had a big sale on Amazon.ca just before the Rimor was launched but it still isn't on there.)

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #18,732 of 62,129
Jan 17, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #18,733 of 62,129
This is really interesting. I didn’t mind codecs so far, mostly because I just review earphones on how they sound. The underlying codec may perhaps be relevant for like 10% of the earphone buyers? So far though, I always write the supported codecs in the specs above my review. May have to reconsider I see. Have to check it better appearantly.

I don’t find it a really big problem however, as I find the Sifi sound so good. :)

I do also find them amazing performers for the price, but it's a pity they advertise AAC when in the end they don't support AAC (I've noticed that they updated their german and french amazon pages and removed any reference to AAC).

I know that talking about codecs might seem nitpicking, but like I mentioned when you hear sub-bass range and even bass range coming through a SBC codec, there is always a high pitched noise at the same time, which is far from ideal (you can really hear what I mean when A-B between SBC and APTX on the Bomaker Sifi with the "Bass Shaker" test at https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php). Of course when you listen to music with several frequencies at the same time, these annoying noises get drowned and less noticeable and in the end that's what most people will care about, but for the true head-fiers this will bother their sleep... :beyersmile:

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #18,734 of 62,129
Got my Spunky beats Tuesday and have switched a lot between them, N6pro, MTW and Fiil. i'd have to agree with the similarities between SB and N6p. i really enjoy it.

I did my first run with the Spunky Beats today and they performed very well. They do sound better than the APP ... my usual route has a lot of traffic that even the APP's ANC can't totally filter out, the SB did passively about the same. Quite impressed, especially given the price.

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #18,735 of 62,129
I did my first run with the Spunky Beats today and they performed very well. They do sound better than the APP ... my usual route has a lot of traffic that even the APP's ANC can't totally filter out, the SB did passively about the same. Quite impressed, especially given the price.
That's awesome. I'm gonna try them out on the bus i take to work later this morning then to see if passively they isolatew well enough for that. Are the touch controls on yours rediculously sensative?? i didn't spend a ton of time with the first pair, but i bought a pair as a christmas gift for my Friend's son and i felt like the touch panels on his were mor sensitiv haen on my pair. I make it a point to touch just the outter most edge of them while putting them in etc and 99% of the time theres no issue. Also, not a deal breaker, but i do wish the controls were reversed. e.g. volume up and rwnd on left instead of right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back