Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #16,741 of 62,084
There is an on board volume controls, but the catch is i have to assign it to either buttons (can be left or right) but i have to give up the ambient toggle function. Because i would pretty much use the ANC on all the time and would just pull the earpiece out for ambient/conversation, i rather loose that and have volume.
Yea, The implementation of the controls is pretty silly if you ask me. Why on earth can't you assign one side to volume controls, use 1 tap for up 2 taps for down and hold for ambient mode cycle? I am really impressed with the XM3. it's taken some different tips and some eq'ing but I really love them.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #16,742 of 62,084

The two have different drivers/driver revisions.

Don't worry squad... I think they're supposed to actually be somewhere around $200 - they're going for 19,800 Yen or $182.48 in Japan. It appears that there are some gouging listings on Amazon (for these and the Mavin's) - we just have to wait for Nuarl's official store to be selling them directly on Amazon. :grin:

That's good to know. So about the NT01AX...? Do you have them? I'm sure someone on here does or has one of the Previous models. Seems like last time I looked at them they were 2x as much.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #16,743 of 62,084
That's good to know. So about the NT01AX...? Do you have them? I'm sure someone on here does or has one of the Previous models. Seems like last time I looked at them they were 2x as much.
Ah yes.

I've posted a couple of times in the thread about them - but they were an early TWS I tried and really just enjoyed for their total package. I don't have hiss, which one other member has complained of. The fit, case size, battery, call quality are all great for me. However, I really enjoy them sound-wise over almost every other pair I've gotten - XM3, L2P, Mavin Air-X, MTW, _even though I agree with another member's assessment that their bass relies a bit on resonance in the TWS body vs a large driver (only 6mm).

That being said - it's a non-fatiguing, EQ-able sound that I love and keep coming back to.

I know it may be a little atypical for this thread - but my goal is to have only 2 TWS - one for my laptop/work. One for my phone primarily/on the go/working out. Right now I use the ES100 with SONY MDR-EX800ST for work - and the Nuarl have been my king of the hill TWS for the a _long_ time. I bought them at $160. I encourage you to get them if you're curious - but I'm also excited by the new ones, new controls, new case, usb-c, and if they keep what I love about the NT01AX but improve the sound/bass even more - whoo boy, I'll be a happy camper.

Apparently in Japan they even offer a trade-in program. I may message them when I see them listed on Amazon to see if I can do it in the USA too somehow :p or get a coupon. If you get them, let me know what you think!

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #16,744 of 62,084
Ah yes.

I've posted a couple of times in the thread about them - but they were an early TWS I tried and really just enjoyed for their total package. I don't have hiss, which one other member has complained of. The fit, case size, battery, call quality are all great for me. However, I really enjoy them sound-wise over almost every other pair I've gotten - XM3, L2P, Mavin Air-X, MTW, _even though I agree with another member's assessment that their bass relies a bit on resonance in the TWS body vs a large driver (only 6mm).

That being said - it's a non-fatiguing, EQ-able sound that I love and keep coming back to.

I know it may be a little atypical for this thread - but my goal is to have only 2 TWS - one for my laptop/work. One for my phone primarily/on the go/working out. Right now I use the ES100 with SONY MDR-EX800ST for work - and the Nuarl have been my king of the hill TWS for the a _long_ time. I bought them at $160. I encourage you to get them if you're curious - but I'm also excited by the new ones, new controls, new case, usb-c, and if they keep what I love about the NT01AX but improve the sound/bass even more - whoo boy, I'll be a happy camper.

Apparently in Japan they even offer a trade-in program. I may message them when I see them listed on Amazon to see if I can do it in the USA too somehow :p or get a coupon. If you get them, let me know what you think!
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I’ve also noticed they have the NT01A for $108 on amazon. Do you know what improvements were made?

Edit: scratch that. I found it.
upload_2019-12-4_23-39-47.png

Attachments

• 30A4F1AD-DB58-4114-886F-131CAC482EDB.png
    30A4F1AD-DB58-4114-886F-131CAC482EDB.png
    503.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #16,747 of 62,084
Ah yes.

I loved the sound of the Nuarl NT01AX (my favorite TWS sound by far) but I have to say that they were quirky to a fault. The earpiece fins being on top of the housing were completely useless, and I'm disappointed to see that Nuarl is using that design again. Since gravity, y'know, pulls things DOWN, the fins did nothing to stabilize the earpieces being on top of the earpiece housings. It's the stupidest placement and the fins just ended getting in the way when putting the earpieces back in the case.

I also found the fit to be hard to get without major suction/air pressure differential in my ears. This is probably just my weird ear physiology though.

Unfortunately the build quality of mine were suspect as well. The case was really cheap plastic and the battery would drain itself down in a couple days without me even taking the earpieces out. In comparison the Mavin Air-X I can literally leave for weeks at a time and it will be at whatever charge level I last left it at.

The final dealbreaker for me was the random disconnects despite my phone sitting motionless on my desk in front of me at work. They weren't constant, but occurred often enough to ruin the experience, and I ended up returning them.

With that said, they sounded so pleasing and smooth that I'm going to buy the N6 Pro whenever they're released in the hopes that they've improved the design compared to the previous model. Heck, I'm tempted to buy the AX again at that discounted price. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #16,748 of 62,084
my Wf-1000xm3 just arrived this morning, and I've been testing it for a while. initial impressions are good (apart from the clingy and pushy google assistant :laughing:)

sound is full, rounded, and pleasant. i don't hear any glaring negatives. i do however set the bass boost at a lower -1 or - 2, because it's just my preference bass amount. I'd say it's on the same level of SQ as the Galaxy Buds, with the difference that the sony is more relaxed and pleasant, while the G buds is more aggressive on the mid treble section and more exciting in initial listening.

buttons are a bit fiddly.. this is typical example why i don't like touch controls. i prefer like the galaxy buds that would turn off the sensor when it's not on the ear to eliminate accidental button touches. i also like to use the button with my whole palm instead of just my finger.. i find that it's more accurate.

size of the case is a bit problematic compared to my other TWS.. and i might be more hesitant to just pocket the earpieces like i usually do with my cheaper TWSs.

ANC is good with youtube noise samples. tomorrow I'm going to test it on a 5 hour train trip to see how it really perform in real life scenario.
i ended up just setting the ANC on all the time and use the left button for volume controls instead.

so is it a great product? I'd say yes, though for me personally when factoring price, size, function, sound, etc, i might prefer the Galaxy Buds instead as a better buy.

now does anyone here have compare the ANC of the Wf-1000xm3 to headphones or other ANC IEMs like Bose, etc?

Yes I've done that comparison and the WF are noticeably behind the Bose QC-25, the problem is they don't have very good passive isolation (probably due to their weird design) and ANC only works well for lower frequencies not for the higher frequencies that have to be dealt with by passive isolation. Same problem with the APPs (and the Liberty Track Air+ or the QC20) in fact. Sure the ANC is "impressive" when it's turned on but that's because their passive isolation is not great. Contrast with the Amazon Echo Buds that have great passive isolation (the concha is completely blocked), turning on ANR isn't super impressive but with both combined it's the best isolation on the market for TWEs (see rtings measurements and you can listen to their samples too), very close to the QC-25.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #16,749 of 62,084
Yes I've done that comparison and the WF are noticeably behind the Bose QC-25, the problem is they don't have very good passive isolation (probably due to their weird design) and ANC only works well for lower frequencies not for the higher frequencies that have to be dealt with by passive isolation. Same problem with the APPs (and the Liberty Track Air+ or the QC20) in fact. Sure the ANC is "impressive" when it's turned on but that's because their passive isolation is not great. Contrast with the Amazon Echo Buds that have great passive isolation (the concha is completely blocked), turning on ANR isn't super impressive but with both combined it's the best isolation on the market for TWEs (see rtings measurements and you can listen to their samples too), very close to the QC-25.

i made speculation in my mind that the ultimate noise blocking solution would using an IEM and put an ANC headphone above it :o2smile::o2smile:

the passive noise blocking of this Sony is indeed a bit less than the others. I'll try tip rolling later to find the best noise reduction, though this one is good enough to remove rumble and letting people voice to come through, so i can still hear them talking a bit (can be a plus or a minus)

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #16,750 of 62,084

They are the best true wireless earbuds sounds wise for me. Perfect in every way. Maybe the bids could be a little clearer, as they are not quite as clear as super clean wired buds like the ER4s, but the bass has great bite, the highs sparkle, the imaging is sharp, and the fit is great. With the spin fits the fit is amazing, but if you go too fast you can get air pushed/trapped in your ear and it is a little painful.

I did put some black vinyl tape over the LEDs though, blinking in stand by was annoying.
I do get the hiss on mine unfortunately, but after the last firmware upgrade it is better. I've had it on three different models I tried, and the first one was the noisiest but firmware upgrades clean it up little by little every time.

The role swap thing is annoying too. To get more play time on the buds the master changes from left to right depending on which bud has more charge at the time. It's a neat idea but now the volume setting on each bud is different, so volume when the left one connects I have to set my phone to volume 4, but when the right one connects, I have to set it to volume 10, and adjusting on the bud itself is like three clicks on the right bud for one tick.

I will try the N6 pro in stores when it comes out, and if I like it as much or more I will use their upgrade service to send my NT01AX in for a nice 10, 000 yen rebate on the the N6 pro. If the sound is the same but the hiss is all gone, and the case is as slim as it looks in those pictures, I will be very happy.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #16,751 of 62,084
I'm currently writing my Lypertek Tevi review. I've spent so many hours with it, I don't want to be too locked-up in my own judgment. What do you think of it, compared to your other (favorite) wireless earphones?

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #16,753 of 62,084
So I just got myself a pair of Aviot TE-BD21f-pnk. I've been intrigued by news of the first hybrid driver true wireless (I dynamic 2 armatures) when I heard of them, and when I saw a friend of mine was in Tokyo, I got her to grab a pair for me. They were out of stock of the original TE-BD21f, but had a limited edition TE-BD21f-pnk, which was apparently "specially tuned" by Pierre Nakano, a drummer with a Japanese rock band (?). From what I understand through Google Translate, these ones are more warm sounding than the originals. Cost 18,900 yen after tax rebate, also more expensive than the originals.

So got the phones on Tuesday. Looks ok, came with an extra case (looks like the Shure 500 case) that you can store the charging case and wire. The charging case is plastic on the side, and a lookalike metal top. Also in the case were normal silicone tips, and also specially designed Spinfit tips in various sizes. There is also a strap that you can hook the earpieces to, like bifocals.

Insertion is straight in, slight twist to get a good seal. I used a pair of medium spinfits.

So, please take this "review' with a pinch of salt, as I'm not an audiophile. From reading Japanese reviews you need a burn in of 36- 40 hours. Out of the box, they reminded me of the old Etymotic 4Ps, very clinical, some bass. About 7 hours in, the bass is more pronounced but still not to the level of my Senn MTW.

I listened to Hotel California as a reference (Remastered, Spotify, aptX). Could hear instruments clearly, especially drums, cymbals etc. Bass was present but not thumping. Highs and mids were very clear. Compared to the Senn MTW (standard silicon tips) which is my normal go-tos, there was a lot more clarity in the separation of instruments. The Senns sound like a concert/ radio whereas these sounded cinical(?), like in a studio. Not saying the Senns are muddied but Aviot's highs and mids a lot more pronounced than the Senns, and bass was less. The Senns had more bass. I'm hoping the bass will get better with more burn in. The Senn was also louder.

There is no app so any equalization will be through your player, so I'm assuming no updates of any kind. Comes with the bluetooth 5 and a listening time of 7 hours, although I have not tested that yet.

Could you tell me if your TE-BD21f-pnk have any noticeable hiss? I got the regular TE-BD21f two days ago, still in burn-in stage. I love the overall package but the hiss kills me. Slightly less than L2P 2nd version, but still quite noticeable. If I paid their regular price in Japan (~$150), I won't mind, but I paid $260 here in USA from 3rd party on Amazon, so it's a little bit hard to swallow. Other than that, I would say they're upgrade, non-fatigue version of L2P with less bass, clearer mids, sparkly yet non piercing highs. The bass impact is still there with good texture and decay from the 9mm DD, just not so profound as L2P. Most importantly, the tonality/timbre is accurate to my ears, which is not the case in L2P. Comparing with Aviot te-d01b and Nuarl nt01ax, they sound sightly warmer and thicker, closer to NW07. Their shape is Frankenstein in ears, but very light (about 5g) and extremely comfortable and great isolation. A funny thing is that their nozzles are oval shape, and the stock tips are oval as well both in stem and outer, a first in my IEM collections. Their sound sig is tuned toward main stream music, which surprised me as I excepted they go up along te-d01b. Without the hiss, they're a keeper, though not so wowed as by te-d01b. Now with the hiss, I may still keep them in rotation, considering the difficulty in returning them. The seller delivered them in 2 days from Japan, and responded well with my concerns, sending me an English manual. I'll see if I can stand the hiss later on.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #16,754 of 62,084
They are the best true wireless earbuds sounds wise for me. Perfect in every way. Maybe the bids could be a little clearer, as they are not quite as clear as super clean wired buds like the ER4s, but the bass has great bite, the highs sparkle, the imaging is sharp, and the fit is great. With the spin fits the fit is amazing, but if you go too fast you can get air pushed/trapped in your ear and it is a little painful.

I did put some black vinyl tape over the LEDs though, blinking in stand by was annoying.
I do get the hiss on mine unfortunately, but after the last firmware upgrade it is better. I've had it on three different models I tried, and the first one was the noisiest but firmware upgrades clean it up little by little every time.

The role swap thing is annoying too. To get more play time on the buds the master changes from left to right depending on which bud has more charge at the time. It's a neat idea but now the volume setting on each bud is different, so volume when the left one connects I have to set my phone to volume 4, but when the right one connects, I have to set it to volume 10, and adjusting on the bud itself is like three clicks on the right bud for one tick.

I will try the N6 pro in stores when it comes out, and if I like it as much or more I will use their upgrade service to send my NT01AX in for a nice 10, 000 yen rebate on the the N6 pro. If the sound is the same but the hiss is all gone, and the case is as slim as it looks in those pictures, I will be very happy.

Have you tried spiral dot++ tips on nt01ax? These are not regular spiral dots, but the new version. They really help clearing the mids for my nt01ax. Yes nt01ax has been my favorite for quite some time, until recently replaced by Avoit te-d01b.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #16,755 of 62,084
I'm currently writing my Lypertek Tevi review. I've spent so many hours with it, I don't want to be too locked-up in my own judgment. What do you think of it, compared to your other (favorite) wireless earphones?
You should wait until the app is released. It's imminent. Got this message two days ago: "Sorry for the confusion. We will release the detail instruction this week. :)"
The app is ready for download in the Apple app store, and already got 2 or 3 updates. No sign of any app on Google Play.
https://apps.apple.com/sg/app/lypertek/id1486702910

Users who are viewing this thread

Back