Going from 3.5mm to 1/4 amp
May 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

themunce

New Head-Fier
I have an Astro mixamp, and am wondering if there is an amp I could use after the mixamp that would step up from the 3.5mm pole to the 1/4 inch pole for the new head phones I might be buying (HD 598.)

I have no knowledge of amps so this will be the first one I might buy. Is going to be used for music, but mainly to drive the headset better than the astro mixamp. Give a little more power.

May 26, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 5
  I have an Astro mixamp, and am wondering if there is an amp I could use after the mixamp that would step up from the 3.5mm pole to the 1/4 inch pole for the new head phones I might be buying (HD 598.)

I have no knowledge of amps so this will be the first one I might buy. Is going to be used for music, but mainly to drive the headset better than the astro mixamp. Give a little more power.

The mix-amp is great for gaming with gaming consoles, but you might find something better for music.
What sources will you be plugging the Astro mix-amp into?

This ($22) replacement cable for the HD518/HD558/HD598 comes with a 3.5mm plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The Mix-amp on it's own should decently drive your 50-Ohm HD598s.

May 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 5
  The mix-amp is great for gaming with gaming consoles, but you might find something better for music.
What sources will you be plugging the Astro mix-amp into?

This ($22) replacement cable for the HD518/HD558/HD598 comes with a 3.5mm plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The Mix-amp on it's own should decently drive your 50-Ohm HD598s.

I havnt bought the 598s yet. It pushes my AD700s just fine. I'll be using the astro mixamp with my macbook and PS4. I was just trying to get more power out of them, so things might not sound so grainy or distorted at higher volumes. Idk if that even makes much sense, or would work, as I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to headphones and electricity.

May 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 5
  I haven't bought the 598s yet. It pushes my AD700s just fine. I'll be using the Astro Mix-amp with my Macbook and PS4. I was just trying to get more power out of them, so things might not sound so grainy or distorted at higher volumes. Idk if that even makes much sense, or would work, as I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to headphones and electricity.

Usually Macs come with decent built in audio hardware, i would "assume" the ATH-AD700 would sound just as good plugged directly into the Mac, as it would with the Mix-amp.
I would assume Even a cheap USB DAC/amp, like the ELE EL-D02 ($20) would give the mix-amp a run for the money.

May 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 5

Usually Macs come with decent built in audio hardware, i would "assume" the ATH-AD700 would sound just as good plugged directly into the Mac, as it would with the Mix-amp.
I would assume Even a cheap USB DAC/amp, like the ELE EL-D02 ($20) would give the mix-amp a run for the money.

I used the Mixamp with my mac on counter strike last night and it worked pretty well. Not as great as the sound card I had in my desktop, but good enough for directional sound. Man, nothing can really beat a sound card =( Too bad I got spoiled. Do those cheap usb DAC's have 5.1 virtual surround?

The built in audio hardware on my macbook pro sounds just as good anyway, just the 5.1 needed for surround. I don't have a clue what kind of equipment would be needed to get that good of a sound out of a PS4, or something. That's why I'm thinking AV receiver. Wish there was something that did it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back