Going for some SR-60s, looking for support/dissuasion
Oct 21, 2005 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

camms

New Head-Fier
Hey, I've been a part of head-fi for a while but haven't been here much lately, nor was I much of a presence when I was visiting more frequently.

I have er-4ps, but don't exactly love the whole iem experience - I find that for me personally (yeah I'm a minority I know) they just aren't comfortable for extended periods, plus they're a pain to be sporting if you're constantly removing and reinserting them to be a part of a conversation.

So... now that I'm off at University (Queen's University in Canada) and don't have a whole lot of extra time to be listening to music (with rowing every morning, if I sit still for more than 5 minutes - ie. every lecture - I WILL fall asleep) intensely, I figure I don't exactly *need* the most top-of-the-line cans to satisfy my hunger for musical enjoyment. Therefore, I am looking at ordering some SR-60s to play out of my Karma as I cruise around campus. The open nature of these phones is not an issue, as I still have the etys for situations like airplanes and libraries (if I ever do that studying thing), and I have a single room with speakers, so roommate considerations are moot.

Basically, I'm making sure I'm not missing something equally awesome and low-cost, thanks for you time,
Cam

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 10
I am perfectly happy with my SR-60's though I do use a GoVibe amp with them most of the time with my Dell MP3 device. I read a lot about other phones but I like the sound and if I don't listen to anything "better" I'm content.

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 10
thanks.

Also, I'm just looking around right now for a list of the different pads you can use with Grados. Does anyone have any experience with what works well with the sr-60s?

Thanks,
Cam

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Just get a ksc-75 (approx. $20USD) for wandering about. Although grados are somewhat transportable, the thick long cable can be a real hassle. Hell, get em both if you can.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I heartily endorse the SR60's. There is nothing close to them at that price point. I also empathise with your ER-4 problems - wonderful sound, but unnerving experience.

As to pads - I am quite content with the standard issue SR60 flats.

Get the SR60's and be happy
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by camms
yeah, I'm going for them. Thanks for the responses. One last question though - don't the sr-60s come with comfies, not flats?

Thanks,
Cam

Yes comfies.

Oct 22, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 10
sr60 are the best value headphones period. so much sound for so little dough.

use the comfies with the quarter-sized hole mod.
use the bowls.
use senn hd-414 pads with holes cut in them.

enjoy a fantastic set of cans!

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by camms
thanks.

Also, I'm just looking around right now for a list of the different pads you can use with Grados. Does anyone have any experience with what works well with the sr-60s?

Thanks,
Cam

A headphone amp that is designed for 32 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back