Going back to closed backs from Audeze LCD2-C - Recommendations?
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kbelmo

New Head-Fier
Hey all

kinda new here and jumping right in for a recommendation on closed back headphones.

I currently use Audeze LCD2-Cs with Dekoni pads as my main heaphones and I absolutely love them.
But unfortunately I will have to go back to closed back headphones for my day to day use headphones now.
Reason being that I recently moved to my boyfriend and don't have a room for myself anymore now.
And when we are both on our computers during the day it gets a bit noisy in the room sometimes which isn't really pleasing with open back headphones.

So now I'm looking for something closed back that would ideally be somewhat close to the LCD2-C.
I know that it's hardly possible to find a closed back that sounds like an open back but anything close would be great already.

Mainly going for a deep, warm sound because I mostly listen to electronic music with lots of synths.

Unfortunately I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of closed back headphones so I don't really know what options are currently out there.

I already tried my luck with the MrSpeakers Ether CX from Drop (mainly because I got them used for cheap) but I wasn't impressed by them at all (just sounded dead).

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 7
Big fan of the Denon AH-D7200 as closed backs go, and the Focal Elegia is very capable (but you'd need to EQ to get the sound you're looking for). Denon is harder to find and will probably be more expensive; the Elegia went down to $400 when discontinued so there are a lot on the used market around that price now.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 7
Big fan of the Denon AH-D7200 as closed backs go, and the Focal Elegia is very capable (but you'd need to EQ to get the sound you're looking for). Denon is harder to find and will probably be more expensive; the Elegia went down to $400 when discontinued so there are a lot on the used market around that price now.

Thanks!

Definitely going to take a look at those two :)

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Throwing the LCD-2 closed back and Kennerton Gjallarhorn in the Ring.

They do sound different compared to the LCD-2C, but they are great closed cans in that price bracket.

And there isn't that much available for closed backs of that quality

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Hey all

kinda new here and jumping right in for a recommendation on closed back headphones.

I currently use Audeze LCD2-Cs with Dekoni pads as my main heaphones and I absolutely love them.
But unfortunately I will have to go back to closed back headphones for my day to day use headphones now.
Reason being that I recently moved to my boyfriend and don't have a room for myself anymore now.
And when we are both on our computers during the day it gets a bit noisy in the room sometimes which isn't really pleasing with open back headphones.

So now I'm looking for something closed back that would ideally be somewhat close to the LCD2-C.
I know that it's hardly possible to find a closed back that sounds like an open back but anything close would be great already.

Mainly going for a deep, warm sound because I mostly listen to electronic music with lots of synths.

Unfortunately I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of closed back headphones so I don't really know what options are currently out there.

I already tried my luck with the MrSpeakers Ether CX from Drop (mainly because I got them used for cheap) but I wasn't impressed by them at all (just sounded dead).

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated :)
I'm kind of going the other direction from you.

I've had the CA Cascade for a few months now, absolutely love it. I've been thinking of getting an open-back, and when I went to listen to a few the LCD2 Classic was my clear favourite.

If you are after a deep, warm sound with plenty of life, then the Cascade definitely will deliver. They play nice with lots of different sources, even direct out of the 3.5mm on your laptop or phone. But if you have a DAP, or DAC/amp on your desk as well, they absolutely come alive.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 7
I've heard the Cascade aren't the most comfortable (good bit of clamp force). All second hand; never heard them myself, but would like to.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 7
I've heard the Cascade aren't the most comfortable (good bit of clamp force). All second hand; never heard them myself, but would like to.
Yes, they do get that feedback from some folks. I haven't had issues myself, maybe I'm well used to them after months of working from home.

CA do say you can safely bend the headband to get a better fit. I actually tightened mine a little to get more clamping, and therefore better isolation.

All our heads are different shape, so as always YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back