Going audiophile!
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kr4lhes

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

So I've wanting to go audiophile for my ps4/pc gaming, and for what I've been researching I really liked the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250ohms, but from what I've read/saw, the 250 ohms for the ps4 aren't that good since the ps4 can't provide enough power for the headphones to be heard properly (correct me if I'm wrong).

My question is, having in mind the dt770 pro 250ohms, (I'm sticking to the dt770 pro because people say they're really comfortable for long sessions and really good audio) what would I need to buy (not having a budget atm) so I can have the dt770 pro working properly for both my ps4 gaming(FPS) and my future PC(I'm building one)?
If that isn't possible, what would be a nice setup for both my options? Or would I need to build a setup for each of my systems?

So far I've seen the astro mix amp (pretty sure the mix amp can't power 250ohms while the Soundblaster can, but the Soundblaster can't connect 2 sources) or the creative SoundblasterX G6 as possible amps/dacs to help with my problem. But I'm still not sure if it would work.
Keep in mind that I'm only talking about ASTRO mixamp or Soundblaster because I don't know any amps/dacs or what would be appropriate for my needs. What I truly want is to be able to connect my ps4 and Pc and be able to change its output on a press of a button (usb switch maybe?) like the astro does, but astro can't power the DT770..

For the chatting part.
I'm thinking of a modmic(antlion 5.0) or a standalone mic like the hyperx quadcast or the blue microphone yeti

I'm really a novice when it comes to audio stuff but I'm tired of "gaming" headsets..

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 12
My question is, having in mind the dt770 pro 250ohms, (I'm sticking to the dt770 pro because people say they're really comfortable for long sessions and really good audio) what would I need to buy (not having a budget atm) so I can have the dt770 pro working properly for both my ps4 gaming(FPS) and my future PC(I'm building one)?
If that isn't possible, what would be a nice setup for both my options? Or would I need to build a setup for each of my systems?

So far I've seen the astro mix amp (pretty sure the mix amp can't power 250ohms while the Soundblaster can, but the Soundblaster can't connect 2 sources) or the creative SoundblasterX G6 as possible amps/dacs to help with my problem. But I'm still not sure if it would work.
Keep in mind that I'm only talking about ASTRO mixamp or Soundblaster because I don't know any amps/dacs or what would be appropriate for my needs. What I truly want is to be able to connect my ps4 and Pc and be able to change its output on a press of a button (usb switch maybe?) like the astro does, but astro can't power the DT770..

I'd just get the G6 for the PS but note that you can't plug into the controller anymore in case you have this in your living room.

For the desktop PC I think the G6 software doesn't work as well, plus you might as well get a decent motherboard. It's rare for gaming mainstream platform motherboards to have a crap VRM and VRM cooling without a decent audio circuit ie a somewhat acceptable headphone amp circuit for higher impedance headphones and Virtual Surround.

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 12
To me, the Soundmagic HP151 is like an improved DT770.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 12
I'd just get the G6 for the PS but note that you can't plug into the controller anymore in case you have this in your living room.

For the desktop PC I think the G6 software doesn't work as well, plus you might as well get a decent motherboard. It's rare for gaming mainstream platform motherboards to have a crap VRM and VRM cooling without a decent audio circuit ie a somewhat acceptable headphone amp circuit for higher impedance headphones and Virtual Surround.

So, for the ps4 I could get the SoundblasterX G6 while for pc I would only need a good motherboard? Wouldn't I need an amp to use on pc to provide the power to high ohms headphones?

And basically, that config I'm looking for (to have both systems plugged in and change with just a button, isn't possible?

Thanks for the reply

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 12
I would say to get a used Sound Blaster G5 for the PS4 and a Sound Blaster G6 for the PC.
Then use an audio switch box to switch between them.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 12
So the astro mixamp wouldn't help me at all? I'd be better "building" myself 2 separate configs? Ps4/Pc
I guess you could use the Astro Mix-amp if you went for easier to drive headphones, like the Audio Technica ATH-A990Z/AD900X or Sennheiser HD5XX series.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 12
Don't think that'll happen but thanks for the info. I've really taken a liking to beyerdynamic, I'm still pondering which to get, the 770 or the 990.
I own the DT770/DT880/DT990, guess I would take the DT990, over the DT770.
Open headphones are a little easier on the eardrums, then closed headphones.
But like my Soundmagic HP151/HP200, over the DT770/DT990.

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Wouldn't I need an amp to use on pc to provide the power to high ohms headphones?

That depends.

I mean, sure, you need some kind of amp circuit. Does it have to be a circuit with a giant torroidal transformer pushig 2500mW at 0.0001% distortion and noise? Or in your specific question, what exactly would an external unit running off USB limited to 500mA 5V do any better than comparable parts running off the 24pin power connector on the motherboard that it's on?

I still have my Z170 Gaming from Gigabyte and it uses the same op amp as my Meier Cantate.2. Sure, only one of them, where the Meier has eight, but I'm using a 99dB/1mW 32ohm headphone on it, not my 97dB/1mW 300ohm headphone. Actually I could use my 97dB/1mW 300ohm headphone on it. Why? Because not getting 0.0001% THD+N clean power isn't going to drastically make that explosion or that crunching clash when Cao Cao's cavalry crashes through Yuan Shu's lines sound much worse than if I was playing music where my attention span isn't focused on "don't let Yuan Shu's infantry support those crossbows" and "don't get outflanked by Ma Teng's cataphracts" so I can clearly hear how that drum hit sounded a like the drummer has anemia vs the lively hits when using my Cantate.2.

So, for the ps4 I could get the SoundblasterX G6 while for pc I would only need a good motherboard?

Because, again, if you're going to get a good overclocking gaming motherboard, chances are it comes with a decent audio circuit. It's not 2013 anymore where you can get an Asus Sabretooth that might have liquid cooling barbs for the VRM heatsinks but it has a crap sound circuit compared to, say, a Maximus VI board where by the VIII generation or so there's a soundcard daughterboard.

It's the one that says Supreme FX Impact on it
1585757406204.png

As long as you're not using a low impedance, low sensitivity headphone a decent motherboard nowadays likely has a fairly decent soundard with all the same useful DSP features...that being virtual surround and EQ.

And basically, that config I'm looking for (to have both systems plugged in and change with just a button, isn't possible?

If the two systems are practically next to each other then this is an option even with a good motherboard due to the convenience...provided you can actually "switch with just a button." Confirm that with SB because i don't see a source selector switch on it.

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 12
If the two systems are practically next to each other then this is an option even with a good motherboard due to the convenience...provided you can actually "switch with just a button." Confirm that with SB because i don't see a source selector switch on it.

Yeah the soundblaster doesn't have a selector switch. Wich I assume I'll get a soundblaster for the ps4 alone and then I'll buy a good motherboard with an amp in it or a soundcard for my future PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back