Goign for my first awesome speakers and amp setup for pc need suggestions
Nov 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #46 of 77
No problem, I wasn't very clear.  Sorry you missed out on the $45 deal.  Hope it comes back, or a better deal on the 41s.  Really wondering how that Lepai amp will do with the speakers.  High end sound for $100 is pretty unbelieveable.

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #47 of 77
No problem, I wasn't very clear. Sorry you missed out on the $45 deal. Hope it comes back, or a better deal on the 41s. Really wondering how that Lepai amp will do with the speakers. High end sound for $100 is pretty unbelieveable.

So i got the amp already and it came with a vonage ac power adapter. Most ghetto i have ever seen but it works. Now i just need for those speakers to go back on sale.

Btw have you gotten your set yet?

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #49 of 77
I was looking around the internet and on ebay i found some energy take 2.2 mini speakers.  here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330827103108?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

any idea if these speakers are good and what should my max be if I were to bid on them?

also I found these on craigslist

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/3377898496.html

between these 2 which would be better?

or should i continue to wait for the pioneers to go back on sale?

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:
I was looking around the internet and on ebay i found some energy take 2.2 mini speakers.  here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330827103108?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

any idea if these speakers are good and what should my max be if I were to bid on them?

also I found these on craigslist

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/3377898496.html

between these 2 which would be better?

or should i continue to wait for the pioneers to go back on sale?

Ask over on AVS in the Energy Owners Thread. Very active (over 42,000 posts). They can tell you. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #51 of 77
The Pioneer BS21s arrived today (paid $45 delivered), and I compared them with the BS41 (paid $80 delivered).  The 21s are not THAT much smaller - about an inch shorter, and identical shape and build quality, with an identical tweeter and a smaller woofer/mid.  Very similar sound.  Highs and mids are the same - I noticed no difference at all.  I played some music with a lot of bass - a really nice piano recording with a lot of low notes, and some cello music.  The 41s, being bigger and having a larger mid/woofer, sounded more resonant on low notes.  But the 21s played the notes with a nice clear taught sound, just lacked the very lowest resonance on the bass notes.  I was actually surprised - I was expecting a lot smaller and less capable speaker, but the 21s are very nice.  I really like the metal grills.  Both have high quality binding posts and you can tell they have real proper crossovers and very good quality components.  Tweeters just sing, without being the slightest bit bright or harsh.

They are both a steal at these sale prices, and sound great on my desktop.  I'm using a good quality Nuforce Ikon usb/dac/pre/amp (rated at 20w/ch), and they play plenty loud for me - not going to rock the foundation of the house, and might not be adequate in a very large room, but great for desktop (I generally listen with the volume knob between 11:00 and 1:00 - never more than that).  Volume output was very similar from both speakers - the bigger speakers did not seem noticably less efficient.

Next step is to try the little 21s in my bedroom system - a much larger room with a more powerful receiver and subwoofer (replacing much larger and more expensive Infinity Beta speakers).  Why am I replacing the Betas - because they just don't have the sweet treble that these pioneers have.  They are a little to anticeptic sounding.  But maybe I'll change my mind when hearing the pioneers in the same system.  I'll report back on that.

Pictures didn't turn out very good, but you can see the size comparison.

I'll report back.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #53 of 77
Quote:
The Pioneer BS21s arrived today (paid $45 delivered), and I compared them with the BS41 (paid $80 delivered).  The 21s are not THAT much smaller - about an inch shorter, and identical shape and build quality, with an identical tweeter and a smaller woofer/mid.  Very similar sound.  Highs and mids are the same - I noticed no difference at all.  I played some music with a lot of bass - a really nice piano recording with a lot of low notes, and some cello music.  The 41s, being bigger and having a larger mid/woofer, sounded more resonant on low notes.  But the 21s played the notes with a nice clear taught sound, just lacked the very lowest resonance on the bass notes.  I was actually surprised - I was expecting a lot smaller and less capable speaker, but the 21s are very nice.  . .

This would explain why with the new versions, Pioneer released an updated BS22, but not a BS42. Probably not much advantage with the larger driver there either. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #54 of 77
The 41s received great reviews in the audiophile press, but the big retailers like best buy didn't carry them. They were pretty hard to find, while the 21s were readily available. So I think it had more to do with retailer demand than acoustic merit.

We all know that most people who buy low priced speakers don't care.Junk like home theater in a box are big sellers, and $100 for speakers sounds expensive when compared to a bunch of cheap tweeters. I can't tell you how many friends have speakers facing in wrong directions, or bookshelves sitting on the floor. You can't listen to low priced speakers properly set up in the stores. The loudest cheapest speakers sell best. So I wouldn't give much credence to sales figures.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #58 of 77
Cool. Looking forward to your review.

I hooked the little ones up to receiver with sub in a big room and like them just as much as on my desk. That sweet tweeter turns a bit harsh at really loud levels, but that's to be expected in any speaker under very high prices. I wouldn't recommend them for an outdoor rock concert. But at all reasonable levels they sound great.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #59 of 77
change of small plans.  After looking around on the internet i stumbled across the nht super zero speakers for $77 per speaker.  So i went ahead and canceled my newegg ordered and spent a bit more on some speakers. 

hopefully i choose excellent speakers, as the reviews would indicate. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #60 of 77
Quote:
change of small plans.  After looking around on the internet i stumbled across the nht super zero speakers for $77 per speaker.  So i went ahead and canceled my newegg ordered and spent a bit more on some speakers. 

hopefully i choose excellent speakers, as the reviews would indicate. 

The Super Zeros are very good. They will need a sub, though. Did you pick out your sub yet? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back