Godspell
Mar 11, 2006 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Firam

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know why I posted this maybe because I'm excited. Next weekend my high school is presenting "Godspell". I am the certified spotlight aimer. I love musicals so much. My freshman year we did “Les Miserables”, which was really long and boring at 2 hours. Next was “Fiddler on the Roof” which was better. Last year was “Footloose” which was fun due to the wide variety of songs. Finally this my senior year is “Godspell”. I must appreciate the musicals more and more each year because I like this one the best. The first ¾ is funny and exciting followed by the remaining ¼ being very sad.

The line “Then the man they called Judas Iscariot went to the chief priests, and said, "What will you give me to betray him to you?" They paid him thirty pieces of silver and from that moment, he began to look out for an opportunity to betray him.” Gives me shivers and I’ve seen it at least 10 times plus I’m not even religious.

I have been lucky, a company has come and taped out shows, and I have bought and will buy this year's musical on DVD.

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 11
Last year my school did Godspell. It wasn't all that great. Ended up being pretty powerful in the end, but in the meantime I found the music a little too, well, happy? Perhaps my particular school just stunk.

This year we're doing Pirates of Penzance and I'm the Sop. Clarinet/Bass Clarinet/Alto Sax player and it totally kicks buttocks.

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Last year my school did Godspell. It wasn't all that great. Ended up being pretty powerful in the end, but in the meantime I found the music a little too, well, happy? Perhaps my particular school just stunk.

This year we're doing Pirates of Penzance and I'm the Sop. Clarinet/Bass Clarinet/Alto Sax player and it totally kicks buttocks.

I guess some parts are happy, but I don't think overly so. I think there is no way to call the last fourth happy. But maybe our production is different than yours. I guess each school has their better musicals. I just don't think I could say anything bad about somthing I worked so hard on, lights, set, ect.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 11
did you say "certified spotlight aimer"
biggrin.gif
now that is c o o l

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 11
I loved being in musicals in high school but we would never have done "Godspell" because it was "too controversial." I do like the songs from it, though; you just reminded me I gotta get the CD! Ever see the original movie? Whew, a very vivid snapshot of early 70s fashion (such as it was).

We did Bye Bye Birdie - geez, it's so long ago I can't remember the other 2 I was in!! Probably because I got stuck in the chorus every time
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
did you say "certified spotlight aimer"
biggrin.gif
now that is c o o l

The past three years I have done set and was backstage but this year the kid that was helping the lightbooth operator with the spotlight left town for a few days. So I stepped in and becuase I will have had more experience than the other kid with it I'm the person to be doing it for the show. Its not glamorous but at least I'll be in the lightbooth and will be able to see the show and help the lightbooth guy if need be. It isn't that hard you aim the light, adjust the size and edges. The only difficult part is when you have to move it while shining it on someone without shaking it too much.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 11
ahhh good old high school theater.

I remember when I was the sound engineer for three years in my HS. Even though it was fun our school didn't really have that great equipment to work with. Actors/actress' are a pain for a sound engineer though...seems like asking them to remember to flick a switch before and after they get on stage is too much too ask.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 11
The choir director is the sound engineer. It can be a pain because somebody’s mike is always off even with mike checks. Plus he has to deal with regulating mike levels and music levels. It is a lot of work.

Today we had a first performance for a live audience, the middle school kids. It went surprising well, I only messed up a few times but nothing major. We got a few laughs. You can’t expect the kids to understand the parables so we will get a better response on our Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon performances.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
I don't know why I posted this maybe because I'm excited. Next weekend my high school is presenting "Godspell". I am the certified spotlight aimer. I love musicals so much. My freshman year we did “Les Miserables”, which was really long and boring at 2 hours. Next was “Fiddler on the Roof” which was better. Last year was “Footloose” which was fun due to the wide variety of songs. Finally this my senior year is “Godspell”. I must appreciate the musicals more and more each year because I like this one the best. The first ¾ is funny and exciting followed by the remaining ¼ being very sad.

The line “Then the man they called Judas Iscariot went to the chief priests, and said, "What will you give me to betray him to you?" They paid him thirty pieces of silver and from that moment, he began to look out for an opportunity to betray him.” Gives me shivers and I’ve seen it at least 10 times plus I’m not even religious.

I have been lucky, a company has come and taped out shows, and I have bought and will buy this year's musical on DVD.

lol I read this message and had to see where you were from, our schools doing godspell too, my freshman year we did les Miserables
biggrin.gif

ours is pretty cool though we lack people (our crew consists of four people and a carpenter
rolleyes.gif
)

Edit: hehe I'm kinda the unofficial sound guy of our play, irs really cool (but very annoying, I spent about 4 hours today making xlr cables! we need 60
mad.gif
) its pretty cool that your spotlight guy, thats one of my favorite jobs, we use dual 1000 watt spots, I love swinging them around. lighting has always been the coolest part, we did some very cool effects for the play. our set consists of 40 ftx 16ft worth of flats, in the middle for about 8 feet (four feet of the ground) is a platform for the band which is behind a chainlink fence (which we hang jesus off of). we can make avery erie blacklightis glow where everything behind the fence glows but the stage has a redwash to it, we do another one where the band glows a bright blood red
biggrin.gif
) our suspension of jesus is very cool too, we tie him to a chain link fence about 4 feet up but it actually looks like hes hanging there (we actually took part of a leafspring from an older car, cut it and we slide that hout under his heels as they're hanging him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back