Go-Vibe Magnum or Practical Devices XM5?
Aug 18, 2008 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pellothed1

New Head-Fier
Well, in the vein as the other newbie amp questions, here's mine. I recently did some downsizing of my office system because I want to move to headphones. I'm not entirely new at this, but I'm starting from scratch.

I'm looking at both the Go-Vibe Magnum and Practical Devices XM5 with the BUF634P upgrade. I have no experience with either and unfortunately live in a disconnected mid-western/southern U.S. city with no place to try anything. I'm looking at these because they are in my price range and both have the ability to accept a line-in as well as USB. I will be using the amp both at my office and on the road. At the office I'm going from CD>USB>AMP. On the move I'll be using a 4th Generation IPod. The IPOD can be substituted, but that's what I'm sticking with for now. I have no headphones but will be looking for complimentary IEMs in the $225 or less range.

What are your thoughts, comments and recommendations?

I'm considering the Ety ER4P's, Klipsch Custom-3's, etc. Mainly I'm looking for a pretty easy going system, as neutral and true to the recording as is possible in this price range and given my limitations. I listen to everything, I just finished listening to the score from "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and am now moving to "Bloody Kisses" by Type O Negative, next will probably be Copland's Billy the Kid Rodeo. That should give you some info. With regards to IEMs, I would say that comfort and sound are equally important for me, but I do like big soundstages when possible, some people would even say exaggerated.

So lay it on the dumb newbie. Considering the two amps, which would you choose and which IEM would you choose and why? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back