Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
May 10, 2006 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone else buy this album today? This usually isn't the type of music that I get into but the singles that I heard were extremely catchy. I'm listening to the album straight through right now. So far so good.

May 10, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 18
No?!
eek.gif

May 10, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 18
...have been hotly anticipating this release for some time, just picked it up yesterday...have enjoyed everything I've heard of it so far...maybe was just a liiiiittle over-hyped...will post more impressions.

May 10, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
...have been hotly anticipating this release for some time, just picked it up yesterday...have enjoyed everything I've heard of it so far...maybe was just a liiiiittle over-hyped...will post more impressions.

Well, like I mentioned above, this type of music isn't my bag. I heard 'Crazy' on a local independent radio station the other day. The I heard 'Smiley Faces' a day or two later. I had never even heard of Danger Mouse or Cee-Lo. Anyhow, I like the album a lot but I definately like 'Smiley Faces' the best followed by 'Crazy'.

May 11, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
Well, like I mentioned above, this type of music isn't my bag. I heard 'Crazy' on a local independent radio station the other day. The I heard 'Smiley Faces' a day or two later. I had never even heard of Danger Mouse or Cee-Lo. Anyhow, I like the album a lot but I definately like 'Smiley Faces' the best followed by 'Crazy'.

I am a big fan of Smiley Faces also. This is a very fun album that stays away from the common hip-hop trends. I didn't realize that there was so much hype over it, but I don't listen to the radio. Go Go Gadget Gospel was also a creative piece.

May 11, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 18
I don't usually touch the radio, but yesterday I heard "Crazy" (having no idea who it was), and was impressed. and yes, that song is damn catchy.

I've since been listening to the whole album, and i like it, i'll have to pick it up. No every song is great, but it's good listening. I like Cee-lo, and the production is great at times.

I was wondering who/what Gnarles Barkley was...and now i know
wink.gif

May 11, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm a huge fan of Dangermouse ever since his DM & Jemini release (expect a follow up this summer!). Also, His production work on Gorillaz Domon Days album and the Mouse and the Mask (a colloboration with MF Doom and Comedy Central's Adult Swim) was top notch. that said, I plan on picking up this CD today, and I hope that I'm not disappointed.

May 11, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 18
They cover the Violent Femmes... its so great... i'm diggin' it right now. If you haven't heard of Cee-lo, you should check him out. Not his latest, but the previous album (solo album) was really good. It might not be your cup of tea, but it might be a good transition into a new genre for some people. It is a genre i stayed clear of for many years, but with a little guidance, one can find a lot of good stuff in the R&B/Rap/Soul-ish stuff out there.

I'm liking the album so far... 2 spins as opposed to 1/3 of 1 disc of the new chili peppers (28 songs is a lot... don't have that much time).

**BRENT**

May 13, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 18
"Crazy" is a great and awesome song, and IMHO, the rest of the album doesn't come close to it. I guess I was hoping for more of the soulful stuff (since I like Cee-Lo's singing voice and I really dig Danger Mouse's beats and production on both the latest Gorillaz and that MF Doom cartooney collaboration).

But the album as a whole is still a wild and interesting listen, and I highly recommend it for those who are looking for something other than the same 'ol same 'ol.

May 14, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 18
This album realy blow my mind. Song like St-Elsewhere and crazy give me happy goosebump.
I've been following these two artists since their beggining and am so happy about this get together.
Danger mouse have been realy busy these times, working on a lot of project that just prove his dopeness.
You guys might wanna listen to DangerDoom album too.
Very different style but still realy shine on the production and Mf Doom his one of the best lyricist right now IMO.
So give these boys a good head-up, and best regards to the commercial radio station who are playing that kinda music.
If all top 40 songs sounder like CRAZY ill be a pop-head forever
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 18
I was listening to the radio again yesterday and the DJ mentioned that 'Crazy' was the most requested song at their station ATM. Very cool. I really like that station. It's called Independent Radio 103.9 'The Edge'. It's a great station. You can listen live online, so if you'd like to check it out:

www.theedge1039.com

May 17, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 18
Still not picked it up despite being a big fan of Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse, I'll need to get it soon though.

May 17, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 18
I had no idea who/what Gnarls Barkley was when I noticed this thread title, but then it popped up on Rhapsody and I am giving a spin right now. This is pretty cool stuff, and anybody that does that good a job covering the Femmes is alright by me. Crazy is crazy cool, Gadget Gospel is hot and Transformer cracked me up.

May 19, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 18
I bought this album today and I like what I've heard so far.

However, on "Crazy," I hear some crackling throughout the song.

Does anyone else notice this?

My setup: iPod Nano -> Black Dragon Interconnect ->PA2V2 ->Shure E4c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back