"Gloria": Them (Van Morrison) or Patti Smith?
Jul 27, 2009 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tru blu

Headphoneus Supremus
This isn't a poll, I was just wondering which version of "Gloria" Head-fiers feel closer to, the Van Morrison '60s original or Patti Smith's '70s revamp? Does that preference have anything to do with which one you heard first? Both are quite distinctive.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 7
Somehow I missed this one. I would say Patti's. It just seems to rock more in the way that the song is intended to. And I am a big fan of both artists, so I don't think I'm biased in that regard.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Well I would pick Them's version as the reference despite preferring Patti's version........my favorite version is the Doors
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Them's version hands down.....Van is the Man (or the sixteen year old kid then).

I do like Patti Smith's version though.

It's sad that Morrison himself now more or less disowns the song. I saw him do it live a few years back and he went to tirade about how much it pi##ed him off that he had to pay someone else to perform his own song.

He did say though that he thought it has stood the test of time.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 7
I just listened to the Patti Smith version again.. and can definitively say I think Them's version is much, MUCH more listenable. I can see how some might prefer Patti Smith's version, but man it's just not that pleasant to listen to. Still, it's better than her version of My Generation.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see how some might prefer Patti Smith's version, but man it's just not that pleasant to listen to.

True. Long live punk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back