Globe & Mail article/rant regarding Blue LEDs
Apr 12, 2004 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Demolition

1000+ Head-Fier
Did anyone else see this Globe & Mail article, in which the author rants about the ubiquity and offensiveness of blue LEDs in electronics? There's a lively discussion about it at Slashdot, as well.

Personally, I like blue LEDs, although I do agree with the author that they appear much brighter than other coloured LEDs and, hence, can be distracting, particular in a darkened room.

D.

edit: fixde teh speeling erorr
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I like blue LED's too. I feel the blue is more relaxing. But maybe thats because blue is my favorite color.

Ditto!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 22
i feel green is more relaxing, but blue just makes everything looks more high-tech

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 22
blue is so cool. I replace most of the LEDs on my computers (the easy to access ones at least) with them. if they are very bright though, then I don't like them.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 22
I do like those blue LEDs. The Larocco PPAs and PRs all come with blue LEDs. Looks great with the silver casing, IMO
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 22
Purple LEDs are next, stay ahead of the curve and go purple before everyone else does.

Here's what I think, blue's just fine for power lights as long as they're resistored down so they're not too bright. This is true of all LEDs, but the thing is blue ones are the most blinding for some reason.

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ayt999
blue is so cool. I replace most of the LEDs on my computers (the easy to access ones at least) with them. if they are very bright though, then I don't like them.

Blue LED's consume more power than red ones. If you go around randomly replacing LED's without taking this into account, some circuits can bite you.

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Has anyone tried a white LED?

Yes, it's called a blue LED.
tongue.gif

For those who don't know, a white LED is just a blue LED with a phosphour coating. This is why most of them are actually blue-white.

But seriously, white LEDs are even more blinding than blue ones, I just can't picture anyone using one, but you never know.

Like I said, purple is future. Soon you'll see purple/violet LEDs popping up on electronics stuff.

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 22
A good example of a manufacturer poorly implementing a blue LED is Logitech. I recently setup some Logitech 5.1 speakers for someone and they have a really bright blue LED right on the center channel (which obviously placed right infront of you). It is blinding. Thank god for masking tape.

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by br--
Thank god for masking tape.

I hear that.

The blue LED on my Sonica is bright enough so I have to unplug the thing at night. I might have to cover it up, or replace it with another color.

White LEDs are nice for replacing bulbs. I bought the wrong size and made a little flashlight that fits on a 9V battery. It's no searchlight, but surprisingly good for its size.

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 22
Yellow LED's don't look too bad and IMO they add a warm glow to a front panel and look pretty classy.

The new gspaudio Solo amp will feature a white LED and will be the first commercial amp I know of to use a white LED...... I'm told it looks pretty special and has been optimised so it doesn't appear too bright :)

attachment.php

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 22
well ofcourse its brighter because of the higher frequencies. but red have long wave length and i am way sensitive to those. blue is my fav color aswell and i would like the wall, the bed, and my clothes dark blue, but my parents doesnt let me. anything with blue led lights are so friggin cool.

so anyway i bought these assorted LED light from ratshack today, and they didnt have wires with rubber protection around them, just two short sticks of metal pointing out. i tried sodering them into the cmoy, but they got extremely hot and died out. also released a very stinky smell when they die also. should have gotton the more expensive ones.

those blue led kept me awake at night so i put the cmoy under the pillow while listening to music. or apply black tape over them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back