Give me a DIY amp project for HD650
Nov 24, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #16 of 21
cant fault the bijou with the 650's. Roll in some 61np's and any hitn of veil disappears.

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love design overkill. intellectually, I see the benefit of the other designs but I have to keep going back to the real world situation of what we are listening to (RECORDED music) and that we are using 100x better playback systems than the musicians themselves (and the techs) use.

I really have no idea what you mean by this...you have clearly not been in the control room of a professional recording studio and listened to a $50,000 monitor setup.

As wonderful as some of these DIY projects sound, they can only hope to approach what the big time guys use in studios.

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As wonderful as some of these DIY projects sound, they can only hope to approach what the big time guys use in studios.

do the 'big time studios' use the fancy virtual ground topology and such? or are they more utilitarian and basically don't take things to the anal levels 'high end' purists go?

I know for a fact that pro audio does not care much about high end cables, high end 'power cords' and so on. that kind of voodoo is left to the retail stores where wallets of rich consumers are drained. at the pro audio level, I don't see the magic and voodoo, I see regular working people hooking up regular rackmount gear that does regular work. I'm not sure about the highest price tag stuff but the working man's pro audio is quite down-to-earth and uses nothing in the way of 'boutique' parts.

I'm in the middle of modding some rane crossover for home use. its a good design but I don't see any 'magic'. maybe high end purists would rate it low but pros use this gear to MAKE our music every day..

all I'm saying is to think of the total end to end path the audio takes and your 'last mile' will only do so much.

I've been straining to hear any real problems or faults with any of my DIY's and I can't hear any issues. they don't have a 'sound' to me, they are 'wires with gain' and they have no problems that I can describe. they amplify and drive loads and they do it well. what more do you guys want??

sometimes, I miss the fact that I didn't drink the koolaid like some of you did..

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes, I miss the fact that I didn't drink the koolaid like some of you did..

There are all kinds of studios, but the upper end to employ a lot of voodoo that none of us ever think about (de-magnifying wands, etc), but regardless of the belief, it is what you can hear. Sometimes we can hear a difference (seperation, speed, components, placement, air, shimmer and decay) that you have never heard before. Chalk it up to 'different' presentation if you will, but, if you hear things better the verbage (pro or con) is irrelevant.

Because you haven't partaken of the koolaid yet means you just haven't tried the right flavor... or, that you simply don't like koolaid.

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really have no idea what you mean by this...you have clearly not been in the control room of a professional recording studio and listened to a $50,000 monitor setup.

And that's a shame that so many of these studios release albums geared toward the mass market, e.g., with average quality and compressed recordings... All that technology behind a bean counter economy.

Back to the OP I think the M3 would be my vote (for your price range) for HD-650.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the OP I think the M3 would be my vote (for your price range) for HD-650.

yes, if you wanted to go SS, the M3 is excellent - very flexible and you can roll opamps. i've built 3 of Ti's designs, all superb, and his participation in the DIY community is outstanding as well. different sonics from the Bijou though.

i'm currently putting together a BOM to convert my M3 into balanced to serve as a double-duty speaker amp with remote control for a small HT set-up in my living room. it should be a good time to buy a new LCD TV after x-mas, as i'm sure the retailers are going to take a big hit with the economy in the toliet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back