Girlfriends
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

DeadlyNeodymium

Head-Fier
I'm just gonna start this.... I think it'd be lovely to hear about everyone's love life here on head-fi. Please rant and rave about your girlfriend/wife below... I'll join in a bit later. And girls, you are perfectly welcome in this thread too, guys, of course, love to hear the other side, and despite what it seems, we adore advice. So, who's first? This should be interesting.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 92
popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 92
i can see this being very interesting, should it pick up.

I am too afraid to comment though :wink: more than happy to read of course.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 92
My lovely wife of one year bought me a T1 for our first year anniversary (and Christmas) present.  
atsmile.gif

She also helped designed the logo that I have on my Westone customs.

She's amazing in every other way as well so I know I'm a lucky person.

When I hear other head-fier brothers talk about how wives/gfs got angry at their headphone purchases, I just look at my wife and sign in contentment.  

tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 92
Quote:
My lovely wife of one year bought me a T1 for our first year anniversary (and Christmas) present.  
atsmile.gif

She also helped designed the logo that I have on my Westone customs.

She's amazing in every other way as well so I know I'm a lucky person.

When I hear other head-fier brothers talk about how wives/gfs got angry at their headphone purchases, I just look at my wife and sign in contentment.  

tongue.gif

mind=blown

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 92
I've been with my wife(ish) for almost 5 and a half years now. That whole time she hasn't really cared much for the audio world and has more often than not been disgusted with the amount I've spent on it. 

Over the last year or so I've had an LCD 2.2, HD800, and SR-009. She didn't care about the LCD 2 much at all and at that point I'd pretty much given up. When I decided to get the HD800 she just reacted like... "Another one?", but once she tried the HD800 she was dancing around (within reason) and said that she liked those a lot better than the LCD 2. 

When I auditioned the SR-009 + LL system she said those were obviously better, but nearly wanted to destroy me when I told her I wanted it. I explained the whole 'When you hear better there's no going back' idea and she somewhat understood. Then I broke it down math wise and realized it would only cost about 2.5k over what I already had invested if I sold some extra stuff (my second Mac, for instance). 

Again, I'd still pretty much given up here...but after a few months worth of listening to the spill from the 009s, and building ourselves a very nice (and growing) LP collection she has decided that we need speakers. "I'm sick of hearing you hear your music and I want to hear it, too." So she is the driving force behind saving and selling a bit once again to get some nice speakers. She went to audition them with me and her favorite (as well as mine) were the Harbeth HL-5. 

While she still claims to not hear difference between amps, turntables, etc I think she hears more than she's letting on. We're going to go audition amps soon for the Harbeths and I have a feeling I'll get a choice out of her (it could be because she hates the gold panels on the Leben gear, but we'll see :wink: ). 

I've found that the key is almost forcing them to sit down and listen to new stuff you get (mainly things that make a major change like new headphones) until you find that thing that makes them finally 'get it'. Once you do that, it seems (in my case at least) that they hit that downward spiral we all know about as well. :D
----
tl;dr - My wife(ish) has decided that we need new speakers because she's sick of listening to my open headphones. She knows we don't half ass anything audio related in this house, so we're going all out. Goodbye tax returns!

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 92
Well my girlfriend has a $1000 purse... ...so she understands $1000 headphones (sorta).  You see, the goal in life if you're a head-fier, is to be a musician, or a professional studio worker, where you can put some HD800s as a purchase on your tax return, so it really doesn't cost you anything. lol

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 92
Think I could write off the half a year's wages I spent on the 009 + LL? :D

Not too sure it works that way for me. lol

Quote:
Well my girlfriend has a $1000 purse... ...so she understands $1000 headphones (sorta).  You see, the goal in life if you're a head-fier, is to be a musician, or a professional studio worker, where you can put some HD800s as a purchase on your tax return, so it really doesn't cost you anything. lol

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #12 of 92
I don't understand cans past $1000... I figure any more and you're only paying for a miniscule improvement, I know you'll argue otherwise, but there comes a point where spending more isn't worth it in my honest opinion.  I dunno.  Never tried any 009s, probably won't ever get to, I've never heard of any head-fi meets in Northwest Arkansas.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 92
Considering HD800s are 1500 bucks that's a bit strange. Used is one thing, but MSRP is usually were you'd value them at. 

Either way. The HD800s are the third best headphone I've ever heard, but there is absolutely more to be had. 

The 009 is what I'd consider an evolution of the HD800 sound wise. Transparent, fast, neutral...but after hearing the 009 going back to the HD800 was hard. I wasn't expecting much going into it. I've always been a fairly loud voice when talking about how small differences between upgrades are as I feel some overstate them to a fairly ridiculous extent. 

But when I heard the 009 and switched back to the HD800 it wasn't subtle. I never thought I'd hear something I considered a 10%+ improvement over the HD800 (especially powered by the likes of Cavalli Audio amps), but the 009 was it. 

I agree there is a point where you pretty much throw your cares to the wind financially in this hobby, but if you can manage to stomach the price of the 009 + proper amp they're just spectacular. 

I say all this but mine might be up for sale soon if the wife and I switch to speaker listening as heavily as I think we will in a few months.
Quote:
I don't understand cans past $1000... I figure any more and you're only paying for a miniscule improvement, I know you'll argue otherwise, but there comes a point where spending more isn't worth it in my honest opinion.  I dunno.  Never tried any 009s, probably won't ever get to, I've never heard of any head-fi meets in Northwest Arkansas.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 92
Most of my stuff is recent purchases. (AKG Q701's, LD MK IV,, Senn HD650 and DT770's in the past month)
I've been banned from spending more on audio for a bit.
This could work out for the better as the next thing i buy will most probably be a flagship :wink:
She enjoys all my gear (most of all my Grado SR-225i though, but not so much to justify dropping £1000 on it)

yet :wink:

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 92
OK...33yrs married here. My headphone gear is small and cheap by many standards but I like it. I do have a weak spot for speakers though and those purchases are hard to hide. I have always been into audio so I think she understands and alot of my purchases are rescues from yard sales and goodwill.....sooner or later I must get rid of some of this stuff...any one looking for some bookshelfs pm me...my wife would appreciate it...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back