Girlfriend-Fi: <$75 closed cans; <$60 IEMs?
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

s3r

New Head-Fier
After me bothering her for some time for being content with her stuck iBuds, my girlfriend has now (through her own free will) decided to upgrade.

She wants closed cans and IEMs. Music taste is everywhere, price requirements sorta flexible.

For the cans, pretty much in order of importance:
-Must be closed (will be used mostly in a school architecture studio with other people and their music)
-Comfort is priority (she routinely spends 8+ hours per day in studio) (related side note: small ears)
-Style is important
-Efficiency - driven from an iPod or PowerBook G4
-Portability

If there was a closed version of the HD555 I probably would've just gotten her those, but as it is I'm pretty unsure. DT-231 maybe, but not quite fashionable enough; AKG's cheaper offerings don't look long-term comfortable with supra-aural earpads and metal headbands; Sennheiser has so many inexpensive closed offerings I don't really know where to start (my old HD-497s do seem circumaural for her, though, but my pads are flattened from age so it's hard to tell). What about the Sony D333 new Eggos?

For the IEMs:
-For around campus, air travel, around-town bus trips
-iPod and PowerBook G4 again
-Preferably white, silver

The j-JAYS seem well-regarded, she likes the looks, and with shipping would probably be under $60 - any reason not to go for these? I've looked at the Mylarones and Sennheisers in this price range but they fall flat on the looks, and really, for her, looks will come before sound (any should be a huge upgrade from the iBuds, so the difference between them would be subtle in comparison).

Thanks for looking, and thanks more for any suggestions.

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 19
get her a pair of Grados
tongue.gif
Just kidding! ES7's look too wonderful to resist! I'm just commenting on the pictures I've seen of these cans.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 19
The es7's sound really great, especially for the price. They are really fun!!! The one flaw is that they don't isolate very well! They are also not really that comfortable. I have small ears and the ES7s are like circumaural [go over my whole ear] headphones for me (although not as comfortable as most circumaural headphones).

I would say to go for a pair of Equation Audio RP-21 but they are pretty ugly (I haven't heard them but they are supposed to sound better than any closed headphone in that price range)!

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 19
I'd say the j-jays are a pretty good choice as far as IEM's go. How about some v-moda vibes or er-6i's as alternatives?

As far as the closed cans go, if you don't feel like spending the $100+ for ES7's, the Audio Technica SJ5 seems like a good second choice. They're definitely there on comfort, sound quality is great for the price, and they come in black or silver.

I would advise against the D333's simply based on other available options and the fact that the DXXX series has been discontinued in the US.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 19
I actually got my gf the white X3s, and she's been quite happy with them. The newer ones come in some styles that aren't that ugly, my gf didn't like the black w/ red 'n blue rings either.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 19
It'd help if she sampled your gear, and gave a more specific round of what kind of sound that she enjoys. But as far as the suggestions go, you can't go wrong with most of them unless she's a total basshead
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd help if she sampled your gear, and gave a more specific round of what kind of sound that she enjoys. But as far as the suggestions go, you can't go wrong with most of them unless she's a total basshead
tongue.gif

To be honest, I'm really not sure she'd care. I've had her A/B my HD497s and SR60s before (I had just gotten the SR60s and was infatuated with how different they sounded, at least on a certain track) and she couldn't really hear it. I am pretty sure she's not a basshead, though.

The ES7s are really nice looking (she agrees), but the two 'phone setup is more appealing to her. Right now it's looking like the SJ5 and j-JAYS, though I would still love to hear more opinions and suggestions. (I'll be searching around on these two 'phones as well)

Thanks again for all the comments so far and any comments yet to be commented.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many of you guys actually own the S7?

-Matt

LOL...shame shame, we know your name!

To the OP: I don't really know...I'll say that the X3's are excellent for the money, if she doesn't mind the look of the new X3i (do a search for the thread).

Unfortunately, since I think that the grado line looks really cool and "retro", I'm probably not the best judge of cool for a recommendation. A lot of folks here do seem to like the sound of the ES7, but I've never heard 'em.

Good luck,

Nylan

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 19
I think it would be hard for a ~$70 closed headphone not to sound like garbage. Perhaps some ~$130 iems or closed cans?

Sennheiser have several offering under $70, the old EH series was 'ok' - haven't heard the new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back