gilmore v2 & V2se
Jun 17, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 11
They are pretty similar at first listen. The V2 SE is smoother and has greater dynamics than the V2 does. Not that the V2 doesn't have good dynamics, but ther is just that shade more with the SE. In addition, the stepped attenuator gives you better level matching between channels than the pot on the V2, particularly at the low levels I like to listen at. The SE also has a considerable amount of flexibility as a preamp which is nice, mine is slated to be used mostly as a preamp in my second system in the future. There is no upgrade program I know of, you should discuss this with Justin before going ahead with an order. Even though they are pretty similar I found I would rush home from work to listen to my SE even after a day spent listening to my V2. I wouldn't part with either of these amplifers, they are both nice pieces of gear. If you can use the preamp, I would head straight for the SE, if not it depends on how far you want to push your headphone listening.

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 11
I just spent 2 weeks auditioning the V2. It is superb - smooth, quiet, grainless. It blows away all my previous amps (Creek OBH-11, MG-Head DT, and Audio Valve RKV Mk II).

It could just use a bit more gain when I listen to vinyl - but Justin can supply it with 50% or 100% more gain, along with a gain switch for different inputs.

I am buying the V2-SE - which I'd wanted to audition but wasn't available in an audition copy. Judging by what I've read, it will be even better than the V2 - and that was an absolutely superb amp.

J!

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
With the exception of the stepped attenuator and the gain switch is there any difference to the circuit between V2 and V2SE?.

Upgraded output caps on the v2-se.

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Upgraded output caps on the v2-se.

output caps ?
confused.gif

Power supply caps I suppose ?

Jun 18, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 11
The second pair 4700uF is the output caps of lm317/337.
But the really 4.7(5)uF output caps of opa548s is omitted on V2 and V2SE.
All caps belong in power supply section. It's a DC design.

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
With the exception of the stepped attenuator and the gain switch is there any difference to the circuit between V2 and V2SE?.

The same PCB, so the same circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back