Gilmore Lite (v1) First Impressions...
Aug 31, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 28
701 is far from cold but needs an amp that can muscle it around to wake up. On my Reference, the 701 is quite alive especially bass wise where its just a notch below the 650.

I reread my email, that 10 v1 should read less than 10% not 10
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Are you really really certain that the "romanticized interpretation" isn't the pure factual truth, while your "as it really is" isn't just the music voided of its inherent romantic component?

Yes.

At any rate, these look awesome. Too bad they obviously aren't designed for use with a computer or else I'd buy one.

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 28
blink.gif

Emu 1212m > HeadAmp Lite > Senn 650/Beyer 880/AKG 701 makes a great budget rig. Why would it not be suitable for PC use?

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #19 of 28
There are no headphone input plugs, just RCA inputs. I don't have any RCA outs on my computer. I'm not going to buy a new sound card or dac just to get some. I suppose I could use an adaptor (like we do at my work for hooking up the mixing console to the CD recorder) but bleah.

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Are you really really certain that the "romanticized interpretation" isn't the pure factual truth, while your "as it really is" isn't just the music voided of its inherent romantic component?
basshead.gif

Yes, because my Pimeta adds that "romantic" component to *every* song. In other words, transparency is lacking to some degree.

Also, it should be dead obvious (to anyone who can think clearly) that not all music sounds "romantic" or is mastered warmly. Some music is supposed to sound cold and icy, by intention of the musicians or mastering engineer. But maybe you've had those HD650s on your head too long. If you're lied to often/long enough, you start to believe the lie... it's a matter of human nature.

Quote:

I envy you for your so self-assured stance
redface.gif

Your sarcasm really gets tiresome, Andrea. One day soon you're headed for my ignore list. Except it's amusing watching you try so hard to hide HD650 fanboyism, so for now you stay off it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #21 of 28
Maybe you're hearing your source, which isn't appealing to you? You're using the DT880's too? Those aren't what I'd considered "romantic" headphones either...

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Maybe you're hearing your source, which isn't appealing to you? You're using the DT880's too? Those aren't what I'd considered "romantic" headphones either...

I know it's not the source, because I've used multiple sources with my Pimeta and this is by far the warmest. But it could well be the DT880/GLite combination, I wouldn't be the first person to dislike that combination.

I haven't made up my mind yet though... this is all still first impressions territory AFAIC. I don't make decisions on gear until I've lived with it awhile (multiple weeks at least) and heard it under a variety of conditions. If it turns out I don't like the sonic character of the GLite, I'll sell it... no great loss. Still want to hear it with K701s first before making any decisions.

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #23 of 28
I liked the Lite/880 combo more than the Grado 325 or Senn 600 and the Lite. But after hearing the Senn 650 with it, well the Beyer had to go.

As for PC use, the Emu 1212m has no RCA or stereo phono jacks but that's besides the point. Every cable manufacturer and their dog make RCA to stereo phono cables now. Very few headphone amp manufacturers make phono in amps though. Not at this level anyway.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #24 of 28
Well, I do believe my ears are adjusting to the DT880/GLite combo... it's probably more a lack of OPA627 warmth than overt brightness I'm hearing, as well as increase in speed of transients with the Lite and an overall more forward quality. There is definitely a "romance" to the OPA627s that mates well with the DT880, but of course I'm giving this up to gain in other areas (transparency, speed, background blackness) with the Lite.

I did a quick (non volume matched) A/B between the two amps, and the GLite is definitely not as bright as I thought initially. Rather, the Pimeta is warmer, more laid back (GLite more forward), slightly compressed/muffled sounding and "blurred" compared to the Lite. I probably could have lived with the Pimeta/880 combo just fine, but I expect differences would favor the GLite even more with a low impedance headphone like the K701... if I ever have the funds to pick up one of the dang things.
rolleyes.gif
Expendable income seems to be in shorter & shorter supply these days. Oh well, we're delayed on a pair of those until October probably.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
701 is far from cold but needs an amp that can muscle it around to wake up. On my Reference, the 701 is quite alive especially bass wise where its just a notch below the 650.

I reread my email, that 10 v1 should read less than 10% not 10
wink.gif

Two remarks:

- you have a niiice aftermarket cable in your K701
wink.gif

- even the HD650 can sound "cold" for me (it does, I mean
smily_headphones1.gif
), when not paired with a rich enough sounding amp.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Yes, because my Pimeta adds that "romantic" component to *every* song. In other words, transparency is lacking to some degree.

I wasn't talking of your Pimeta (that I've never heard btw), really. With the OPA627 in especially, I imagine it could very well sound "romanticized" as you described it.

And I absolutely won't oppose transparency to "romanticism", or "passion". It's pure mental dichotomy void of reality.

Quote:

Also, it should be dead obvious (to anyone who can think clearly) that not all music sounds "romantic" or is mastered warmly. Some music is supposed to sound cold and icy, by intention of the musicians or mastering engineer.

I 'feared' that. There I could only be speaking subjectively (???). If you like cold and icy music, then it's clear that you're seeking a correspondent coloration in your headphone system... which is fine; the problem is that you seem not aware of it.

P.S.: I doubt that a mastering engineer would/could be so creative
wink.gif

Quote:

Your sarcasm really gets tiresome, Andrea. One day soon you're headed for my ignore list. Except it's amusing watching you try so hard to hide HD650 fanboyism, so for now you stay off it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feel free.
wink.gif

However, the point that I made was entirely serious (and it still is). Not that I'm asking you personally to be able to realize it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #27 of 28
Not really a problem for me to acknowledge, I surely am biased towards the HD650; because I'm biased towards its own "spirit".

You think you are neutral?
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude

I found the same when comparing the two side by side on an SFT Dynamight, a couple of my own creations, a GS-1, and a while earlier an Earmax Pro. Definitely agree about having an amp that can muscle the 701 around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back