Gilmore Lite or Headroom Micro for k701?
Mar 20, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 37
I've got a Gilmore Lite and I'm absolutely in love with it...but it seems like the AKG's have issues with bass, so if you go with the g-lite I'd suggest getting the dedicated power supply for it as well. Apparently it has a rather significant impact on bass performance. Can't comment on the Micro though, sorry.

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 37
For what ever reason my Gilmore lite has trouble powering my k501s.It works great with my Senns and Grados though.I've heard the 701s are more efficient than the 501s.Akg phones in general seem to be rather power hungry.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz
For what ever reason my Gilmore lite has trouble powering my k501s.It works great with my Senns and Grados though.I've heard the 701s are more efficient than the 501s.Akg phones in general seem to be rather power hungry.

What?! I can't believe the G-lite having problems powering the K501s... By "trouble", what do you really mean? Clipping? Distortion?

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 37
The GS-1 sounds extremely good with the 701 AND drives the 701 with ease. I find the Headamp sound very synergistic with the 701's. The 62 ohm impedence of the 701's will be no trouble for the Lite. I bet the Lite would be an excellent match for the 701.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 37
The Micro with Desktop Module and the K701 is a killer combination. I have such a set up (simulated) in my bedside system and it sounds fantastic - they are just made for each other. If you buy one new from HeadRoom, you always have their 30 day guarantee, which you shouldn't feel timid about taking full advantage of. If you don't like it, you can try the Lite, or indeed any other amp.

Get it new you can buy with confidence.

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
What?! I can't believe the G-lite having problems powering the K501s... By "trouble", what do you really mean? Clipping? Distortion?

It has more to do with bass than anything else.When ever I listen to my 501s with my antique sound lab tube amp it seems to really open up the bass on them.Other than the bass issue the Gilmore isn't bad.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical
what will be the difference between the 120 vac and 220 vac versions of the micro?

No difference. Thats just the voltage selection, chosen based on your location.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 37
oh ok, i knew that
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 37
What are you going to use as a source? I own a Micro Amp (120 VAC) and ordered a K 701 like 6 weeks ago. I plan to amp the K 701 with the Micro and I think it should sound pretty good. However, I've also heard that the sound is going to depend a lot on the source. My source right now is just the line out of my Mac Mini. When the K 701 arrives I'll give it a good listen and if I think it's not sounding good enough I may consider getting a Silverstone EB01 to complete the setup.
701smile.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 37
One word - crossfeed. Best invention ever for headphone listening.

And, as TheSloth said, return the thing to HeadRoom if doesn't make you happy.

Good luck!
Beau

Users who are viewing this thread

Back