gilmore lite or cayin ha-1a for hd600
Jun 28, 2008 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there gonna be a big difference in how these amps sound? Is the cayin totally going to crush the glite? Anyway, I like the description of how the glite sounds for matching with my hd600s, now will a tube amp like the cayin sound more sluggish and will I hear the hum they say these have on the hd600s?

I'm sort of in a hurry to know because people are waiting for transactions to be made to trade with my audio technica ad2000.

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 8
which do you think you will prefer? it sounds like you already know. so buy it.

Im sure it wont change your mind, but the cain ha-1 did well enough when I rocked out with it & my R10 and someones elses ED-9 at daves mini-meet around this time last year. There was no hum to speak of but I dont think anyone listened to a single senheiser at that mini.

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm 50/50 swinging to the cayin side at this moment actually. So would you say they are neutral and transparent or do they add bass, etc...

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 8
I havent heard either, so take my remarks with a grain of salt. But if I was amp-matching for the HD600 on a budget, Glite would be one of my first picks.

From what I understand of the Glite its based on the Dynalo kevin gilmore design, which is known for being quite linear and dynamic. I would expect this to mate quite well with HD600 musicality, as my Pico does.

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 8
The sound of HA-1A depends on the tube you match with and there's also the impedence switch and choice of Triode and Pentode mode to play with.

I wouldn't call it sluggish at all, but I don't think it can rock & slam like a good SS amp. Vocals (esp female voices) and well recorded acoustic instruments like piano and brass sounds amazingly good thru my 880. I've never tried a 600 with it, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 8
ok looks like I'm getting the glite anyway because the seller is charging shipping for the trade with my ad2ks. Too expensive

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havent heard either, so take my remarks with a grain of salt. But if I was amp-matching for the HD600 on a budget, Glite would be one of my first picks.

From what I understand of the Glite its based on the Dynalo kevin gilmore design, which is known for being quite linear and dynamic. I would expect this to mate quite well with HD600 musicality, as my Pico does.

How would you describe the differences between your raptor, M^3, and pico with regards to using HD600? Thanks!

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you describe the differences between your raptor, M^3, and pico with regards to using HD600? Thanks!

The Raptor I never got to hear with the HD600, I was using the SA5K as my home 'phones at the time.

The M^3 has the potential to be superior to the Pico purely from a customisation and power output standpoint, but its difficult to find the 'ultimate' set of opamps. With the M^3 there's also the question of source and interconnects to consider. OPA637 created a lovely seductive midrange, but lacked lowbass control. AD8610 was very dynamic and punchy, but also slightly fatigueing and glarey, even with a headphone as musical as HD600 and mosfets in the output stage. And the THS chips were just too dark and uninvolving.

With those complications taken into consideration, Pico would be the better choice, particularly if you're disinclined to play around with configuration options hunting for synergy. Pico is amp and source in one, with an extremely short signal path between the two, and brings lovely clarity and dynamics to the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back