Gilmore Lite good for these cans?
Jul 14, 2006 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

TiTaN

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the following cans and wondered if the Gilmore Lite would sufficiently and synergetically (new word, but hey) drive them all.

K701
SR225
DT770-80
UM2
E2c

Thanks guys, have someone with a GL and DPS lined up if it's a good match
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Definitely good for the 225s.

I definitely agree on the 225 .... also good with the 770 although I dont like that headphone very well. The senns are all very good as well .... 580/595/600/650.

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 32
I've just had my Gilmore Lite for about a week, but I enjoy it. The build quality is top notch, and it works good with my DT770pro 250ohm. I can't comment on how it sounds, because I don't have enough listening time and comparisons.

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiTaN
can anybody comment on how it does with the K701 by either experience or speculation?

I spent a little time with that combo at the last meet, and found it so incredibly neutral it was boring. Made me understand why people like a little coloration in their system.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I spent a little time with that combo at the last meet, and found it so incredibly neutral it was boring. Made me understand why people like a little coloration in their system.

So as far as sound quality goes it was ok but not a "fun" listen? I still may pick up the amp but may get me some HD650's to try out on it to compare with the K701.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiTaN
So as far as sound quality goes it was ok but not a "fun" listen?

Yeah, I don't think there's a pair of dynamic 'phones on the planet that the GL can't drive. Okay, K-1000s. But anyway, yeah...GL + 701s was (for me) the very definition of clinical. Could be a handy combo to have around to settle arguments about what, exactly, is on a particular recording, but it'd be more of a tool than a toy.

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Yeah, I don't think there's a pair of dynamic 'phones on the planet that the GL can't drive. Okay, K-1000s. But anyway, yeah...GL + 701s was (for me) the very definition of clinical. Could be a handy combo to have around to settle arguments about what, exactly, is on a particular recording, but it'd be more of a tool than a toy.

I agree with this. I am starting to think the K701 needs a tube amp to sound less analytical. It synergizes very well with my X-can hybrid.

The 225 would work great and I haven't heard the others.

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 32
My Gilmore Lite is great with:

K601
HF-1
K81DJ (can be a tad sharp)
KSC35 (actually makes a difference!)

With my recently sold A/250's, it was kind of rough, though those cans were very bright in their own right. That combined with the fact that I wanted a closed can, forced me to sell them.

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 32
If the e2c's are anything like the e3c's, then I wouldn't match the two. Noise gets pretty high with the Gilmore topology using the e3c's.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
If the e2c's are anything like the e3c's, then I wouldn't match the two. Noise gets pretty high with the Gilmore topology using the e3c's.

grasshpr,

Can you explain what you mean? My Shure E3 are silent with the Gilmore Lite even with the volume all the way to max.

If you are experiencing any noise, it is likely from your source. Unplug the interconnects before doing any noise testing.

- Justin

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 15, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w.
grasshpr,

Can you explain what you mean? My Shure E3 are silent with the Gilmore Lite even with the volume all the way to max.

If you are experiencing any noise, it is likely from your source. Unplug the interconnects before doing any noise testing.

- Justin

Hi Justin,

Sorry for not being clear, I was talking about my dynalo, not the one built by headamp. The gilmore amp design is really built for high impedance phones. I'm not exactly sure what gain the gilmore lite is using but with at least a gain of 5 or so I can notice some noise from the output. BTW, I had been testing with both the zhaolu and the MSB link dac with a zu oxygen interconnect.

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 32
Whoh...welcome back Justin!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back