Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #287 of 739
Quick question Baten (or others!): if using the above set up, am I essentially not using the “balanced” properties of the cable? In other words, probably not getting the most out of the cable?
The Gilmore Lite is a single ended amp, using the adapter will make the cable behave like a single ended cable. If you want to use balanced you need a balanced amp.

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #290 of 739
I am impressed with the GL Mk2 ... and I regularly use it in place of my main amp, a Mjolnir 2 (fed by a Gungnir MB) ... this is SS vs Tube-Hybrid and, frankly, it's a close call to my ears. Maybe a bit more airiness in the soundstage with the MJ2 ... if a bespoke PS could lift the already impressive performance of the GL Mk2, that would be stellar. I can't stretch to a GS-X Mini but if it gets me closer at a reasonable price ...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #291 of 739
Quick friendly check-in for @justin w. to see if any progress has been made with the bespoke power supply?

We keep asking about the upgraded power supply for the Gilmore Lite MK2 and HeadAmp is not answering. Originally I seem to remember the power supply was supposed to be available in 2018 and then the first part of 2019. I know HeadAmp is a small company and I love and respect their products, but it seems like finishing this power supply shouldn't be quite this prolonged. There is most likely a Chinese linear power supply that could be adapted to work so that might be something to check out.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #292 of 739
To be fair, I recall HeadAmp saying they were focusing on the GS-X Mini first and expedite all those orders ... and that appears to be an understandable priority ... not sure I want to get involved with modifying a PS to suit ... well above my pay grade !!!

I think I'd prefer to wait for an endorsed and matched unit to the GL Mk2 with predictable and worthwhile sonic improvements.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #293 of 739
I seem to remember there was talk of an updated power supply for the GL MK2 before the GS-X Mini was announced. I purchased my GL MK2 in February of 2018, so we have been waiting almost 2 years for the improved power supply. DIY Audio sells a very nice pcb that can be built to work with the GL MK2 and would probably even go beyond what HeadAmp will do, but of course you have to purchase everything and build it yourself. I'll keep looking for an alternative for myself as there doesn't seem to be any firm timeline from HeadAmp.

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #294 of 739
glmk2 supply.jpg

It is something I have been working on. This is just the current idea which includes the Golden Reference Low Voltage power supplies and as many as 3 output ports. Also, it will have to be a little bit larger than the GLMK2, maybe an inch or two deeper.

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #295 of 739
It is something I have been working on. This is just the current idea which includes the Golden Reference Low Voltage power supplies and as many as 3 output ports. Also, it will have to be a little bit larger than the GLMK2, maybe an inch or two deeper.

That look cool, any plans on sending a GL mk2 / GSX to Amir to have it measured? Love to see how it compares to the other amps on his list

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #296 of 739

Fantastic ... don't mind deeper at all .. what might all these output ports be used for ?

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #297 of 739

I assume the extra outputs are for plugging in additional components such as a DAC or second Amp, is this true? Any chance of adding a USB power outlet for powering something like a Chord Hugo 2?

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #298 of 739
That look cool, any plans on sending a GL mk2 / GSX to Amir to have it measured? Love to see how it compares to the other amps on his list
Measurements are not the end-all. Though I do find them important on the DAC side. I assume the GLMK2 will not measure stellar because when I connect a Modi Multibit to the 887 the sound is... not good. The shortcomings (my preferences) are immediate. The Gilmore Lite MKii sounds great with it though, lending to my belief it is more forgiving.

When fed with the D70 the Gilmore picks up more detail however can't get close to the 887 (which sounds great with the D70 as well). HOWEVER... when it comes to music I always prefer the MKii. It sounds more enveloping, the bass is more natural as the THX's bass is so accurate and focused it loses out in engagement. The Mk2 has great extension and good detail while being musical, warm and just a blast to listen to. The vocals sound fuller as well. If I need a scalpel I'll plug my cans into the 887, but I want to enjoy the music so I prefer Justin's product. I only use the 887 for gaming now and it serves its purpose very well there.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #299 of 739
Measurements are not the end-all. Though I do find them important on the DAC side. I assume the GLMK2 will not measure stellar because when I connect a Modi Multibit to the 887 the sound is... not good. The shortcomings (my preferences) are immediate. The Gilmore Lite MKii sounds great with it though, lending to my belief it is more forgiving.

When fed with the D70 the Gilmore picks up more detail however can't get close to the 887 (which sounds great with the D70 as well). HOWEVER... when it comes to music I always prefer the MKii. It sounds more enveloping, the bass is more natural as the THX's bass is so accurate and focused it loses out in engagement. The Mk2 has great extension and good detail while being musical, warm and just a blast to listen to. The vocals sound fuller as well. If I need a scalpel I'll plug my cans into the 887, but I want to enjoy the music so I prefer Justin's product. I only use the 887 for gaming now and it serves its purpose very well there.

Oh I realize measurements are not the end all, its just fun to see things measured. I see you mention the Modi Multibit. I found it was holding back the mk2 and I greatly prefer the Grace Designs SDAC and Topping D30 over it. Both of those DACs give the mk2 much greater 3d spacing especially in things like games.

My Modi Multibit has been sitting in my closet for like a year. I keep meaning to sell it but haven't got around too it.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #300 of 739
Have a Gilmore Lite Mk2 coming by the end of the week.

I'll use it in a bedroom set up with my Node 2i (which I recently got and am impressed with).

I decided on it over the THX AAA 789 and Rupert Neve Designs RNHP for a few reasons...the 789 is too big for my liking for where I need to use it, and the RNHP is, while cool looking in a unique way, not great for a bedroom setup. And as for sound, I was afraid the 789 or RNHP would be too neutral/clinical/lean (which I do like, but not in a bedroom set up where I'll mostly listen to genres that could use a little "warmth" or smoothness instead of ultimate detail retrieval like classical, jazz, vocal, folk, world, etc). I was also afraid the RNHP wouldn't have the power I'll need (I'll be using my T1 1st generation or HIFIMAN Sundaras). Really wish the RNHP had a gain switch, and do like that the 789 does...but I think the Gilmore Lite Mk2 will power my cans well.

In my main setup I have the Schiit Asgard 2 which I like with reservations: it's always seemed somewhat unresolving, kind of congested or smeary, and just lacking a "pop" or real engagement factor. It's kind of bland overall, if competent and a good all rounder. So I'll be comparing the Gilmore Lite Mk2 to it and if it is better by a large margin, I may just have to upgrade to another Gilmore Lite Mk2 in my main...or maybe I'll try the THX AAA 789 in my main since I'll once again be reminded of how much difference an amp can make (if it does). Or I could just save money and use the Asgard 2 in my bedroom setup and the Gilmore Lite Mk2 in my main. We'll see.

Will post again with impressions after I've spent some time familiarizing myself to the sound of the Gilmore Lite Mk2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back