Gilmore Amp
Oct 20, 2002 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
I know antness has sent out some gilmore amps ,does anyone have anything to report yet?I would love to read a comparative review between a gilmore amp and a maxed out meta42.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 17
Oh, and don't forget the super mini meta and the super super mini meta, because they are, afterall, super!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 17
Hmm? I think the approximately $400 price differential between the Super Mini and antness's KG Dynamic might give you an idea of what you can expect.

I'd also like to hear some comments if anyone has one yet. I've been soliciting opinion requests via PM -- I'll post what I find out if the same people don't post here.

kerely

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 17
The META42 is not designed to be a high end amp and I think comparisons of this type may be a little unfair.

As to FixUps amps, one might argue that those aren't really even META42s depending on which definition of META42 you use.

Oct 21, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 17
The Gilmore amplifier kit goes for $349 and the completed amp runs $479. I did a lot of shopping around for just the parts through various venders and they dont seem to come anywhere remotely near to the $349 price tag. More like half that cost or less.

Oct 21, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 17
Andrew,

Did you read over my parts list for the amplifier and base your shopping on that?

FYI, it cost me about exactly $300 in parts to build my first Gilmore with mini boards from ExpressPCB and I had to etch the power supply board myself.

Also, as the resistors, LEDs, and transistors should be matched near perfectly, many extras of these parts need to be bought which adds to the cost.

Then of course there is the time involved in creating the boards, drilling panels, not to mention shipping costs when you order from 5-6 different vendors.

If your parts list is that cheap, then I'd LOVE to know where you shop!

-antness

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 17
Come to think of it, i didnt include the $60 for both your PCBs or the $ for a nice case, or labor for work on the case. The numbers i spoke of were simply to populate the boards. You are right, it is closer to your price if you add in those factors. I apologise for any confusion here.

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 17
I don't mean to crap on this thread, but what better opportunity to ask Antness a question.

Antness, does your kit include a pre-cut, pre-drilled case?

NGF

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 17
It really depends on what components you use. I can say that Antness' kit price is pretty resonable considering what I paid sourcing the parts myself. Of course you can make it cheaper than what he charges but it really depends on the quality of components you use. You can, for example, make it cost thousands by using crazy things like those super nifty Black Gate capacitors.

The one I am building will cost me probably $400ish. I'll post some impressions when I get it done and pics.

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Just wondering. . . what makes the amp expensive(to me)? Lots of parts, or a few expensive parts?

Both - and the power supply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Which also makes it impractical for a portable/battery amp as META42 may be used. (Just nailing in that point that they're very different designs and aren't really directly comparable.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back