Gift for a friend [-$50 range]
Jul 29, 2010 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Esymptote

New Head-Fier
My friend really liked my JVC HAS-700s and begged me to find her a pair of decent headphones for her birthday.
Of course, I could just get her a pair of the JVC's, but I was hoping you guys might like to throw out some recommendations.
She does not want in-ear/earbuds, which is why I've posted in this section.

Also, I really doubt that she can differentiate between OK quality and Good quality, if that helps.
And she didn't really like my portapros, probably because they look different.  So keep in mind that she's a girl and looks probably will play a factor in how much she enjoys my our gift.

EDIT: She'll be playing them through an ipod nano.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 34
The Maxell's look promising, but I'm worried about their build quality.
I saw in the other thread about how Amazon reviews aren't the best, but my friend is really bad with taking care of her things. Horrible.
Would they stay solid through extreme abuse?

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 34
The DHP-II are probably the best-sounding option (out of the small circumaurals) but knocking them about is not the best idea. How about the Panasonic RP-HTX7? They are decently built and sound good (better than HA-S700 after the treble settles in).

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 34

Quote:
The DHP-II are probably the best-sounding option (out of the small circumaurals) but knocking them about is not the best idea. How about the Panasonic RP-HTX7? They are decently built and sound good (better than HA-S700 after the treble settles in).

Agreed. Like I've said before: These phones got an undeserved bad rap because of a small pack of idiots on Amazon. They won't turn to dust in your hands like those reviews suggest. Having said that though they are not beater phones. These are definitely not phones you want to throw on the floor to get stepped on or shove in a packed drawer.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 34
Sennheiser PX100. Koss Portapro.

Hard to give people IEMs, often not appreciated. I've given both of these 'phones as gifts, always a big hit.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 34
AKG K81DJ are decent for closed, more portable options in that range. I'm not personally a fan of their dark, slightly sloppy, bass-heavy sound though. Many people like it. Does she like bass?  That's really a tough price bracket, largely because of the KSC75.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #9 of 34
Consider also Superlux HD668/681s.  Those are both fantastic phones for the money, and the 681s are usually my go to gift for fashion/budget conscious ladies because of the nice red trim.  They're also pretty easy to drive, which is no doubt important for an iPod nano.  If she wants something smaller, over the ear type, try the iGrados.  They're pretty bass heavy, and they don't have great detail or treble extension, but they definitely sound good to the uninitiated and the look is distinctive, if not for everyone.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 34
Sennheiser PX100s look like they might be a good option, they don't look too goofy, and they get rave reviews on Amazon.com.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 34
She doesn't like my portapros, she says they're uncomfortable.
The PX100's look a bit flimsy and I'm guessing that she wants headphones that are a bit thicker?  She said she really likes how the JVC's looked as well.
K81DJ's are a bit out of my range.
So for now, the superlux is looking real good.
Second would be the Maxell's and lastly the Pannys.
But are there any shorter-corded options?
The superlux look great, but to carry around the cord would be too much for her.  (Girl's pockets aren't as deep as guy's)

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 34

Quote:
  (Girl's pockets aren't as deep as guy's)

Which is why we are always spend all the money, right?....right? 
dt880smile.png

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
Don't go Maxell. Horrible reviews on Amazon, bad build quality.

Well if we all start going by Amazon reviews now we will end up with Skullcandy Skullcrushers and Sony V150s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back