Ghentaudio Cables - Impressions & Opinions. (First impressions & pictures in!)
Jun 16, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #91 of 198
I got a 3.5mm stereo to dual rca 0.5meter cable for connecting my geek out to a passive preamplifier and it's great.. really nice rca connectors too

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #93 of 198
Does anyone have an opinion on the B01 cable vs. the B02 cable?

The question is if it is better to use x2 Canare L-2B2AT per channel or use a single Canare L-4E6S.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #94 of 198
I actually emailed ghent and asked them which one was better..  here's their reply

"Certainly, for standard 3.5 to RCA cable, B01 is better sound quality than B02.

B02 is designed to be suitable for "active speaker", so split is beginning from 3.5 end."

so basically the b02 is to plug into two active powered speakers that's why the split is from the 3.5mm jack all the way to the rca connectors.  I use the b01 for my geek out to headphone amp or speaker preamp

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #95 of 198
It's very interesting to know what happens with the braided shield of the B01 after the split.
My initial thought was that since the B02 has two channels and each one has shielding foil there should be less interference between the two channels compared to the B01.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #96 of 198
Hmm I assume it's only connected on the 3.5mm end because mostly the 3.5mm side would be the source

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #97 of 198
I stumbled upon Ghent Audio when looking into new Class-D loudspeaker power amps.  They seem to make a nice ICEpower amp and case for the new Hypex NCORE modules, so I figured they know what's up.  I ended up ordering Canare speaker cables and a USB cable and I have to say the quality is superb and a great value!  Ghent Audio will be one of my goto cable suppliers.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #99 of 198
I plan to get this USB cable: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/u05.html

It is to replace a Monoprice one I got which looked good on paper but crapped-out after less than a damn week.

From the experience of all you folks who have used Ghentaudio cables, should this definitely be reliable and good and all that?  It seems to me like this guy's cables have the same level of build typically seen from cables several times more expensive from companies like Audioquest, right? :)  Does anyone here specifically have experience with the Ghentaudio USB cables and how reliable or not they are?

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #100 of 198
I don't have one of their usb cables but I have a few of their 3.5mm to dual rca adapter cables and a 1/4" female to 3.5mm male adapter and the quality is great, flexible yet tough, the sleeving has stayed on without moving off the ends like I've had happen to some cheaper handmade cables I got from other places.  I always check ghent first before ordering cables.. I've had some bad luck with monoprice, had to get cables from them replaced under warranty.  they are good about replacing the cables but getting 2 cables where the right channel cuts out or has a hum unless you twist the cable doesnt' make you feel like you're making a smart choice to connect your expensive audio equipment with lowest quality stuff.  

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #101 of 198
  I don't have one of their usb cables but I have a few of their 3.5mm to dual rca adapter cables and a 1/4" female to 3.5mm male adapter and the quality is great, flexible yet tough, the sleeving has stayed on without moving off the ends like I've had happen to some cheaper handmade cables I got from other places.  I always check ghent first before ordering cables.. I've had some bad luck with monoprice, had to get cables from them replaced under warranty.  they are good about replacing the cables but getting 2 cables where the right channel cuts out or has a hum unless you twist the cable doesnt' make you feel like you're making a smart choice to connect your expensive audio equipment with lowest quality stuff.  

Yeah Monoprice is crap >_<  Ugh.  Lol.

Thanks for your impressions!

I'm just wondering about the ol' USB-audio conundrum.  Alot of folks say cables don't matter because digital data is digital data, just ones and zeroes.  But the issue with that is timing. . .jitter can be introduced by a cable, because a lot of USB cables are made to carry data accurately but with no regard for the timing between data packets since they aren't meant exclusively for audio applications.

I'm wondering if the Ghentaudio USB cables are engineered well in that regard to eliminate jitter.

Edit:  Question.  Which of the Ghentaudio 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cables would give me the best quality connection between a Fiio X3ii (used as a USB DAC) and a pair of cheap but decent desktop computer speakers which are separately powered by a wall outlet?????  Am I correct that the best answer would be the D11, i.e. this: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d11.html  ?????

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #102 of 198
I will never buy from this company ever again. Everyone seemed to think these cables are so good and reliable, so I went ahead and bought a half-meter (1.5ft) micro-USB cable from Ghentaudio. It got here a few days ago. IT IS ALREADY MALFUNCTIONING. I was using it with my X3ii as a USB DAC with my laptop, and now the micro-USB connector at the X3ii end seems to have become touchy. . .whenever the cable is moved slightly, the connection cuts-off.

I don't even know what I should do.  What SHOULD I do?  It's not like there is warranty coverage, is there?  Is there some way I can get a refund?

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #103 of 198
I'd email ghent and let him know the cable isn't working and ask for a replacement ghentxu@ghentaudio.com

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #104 of 198
Hi Folks,

just wanted to share my own view of the recently bought B03 cable. And I must say it won't be that sweet and honey. In fact these cables are nothing! I.e. it's not that they are particularly bad but they just sound nothing, i.e. doesn't improve your sound at all. Don't bring clarity, improve sound stage and etc... For example, another cable from Ghentaudio for a similar price uses Canare L-2B2AT. This Canare cable in my local market here costs less than 1$/meter. Don't even think it will sound good for this price. It just have different qualities for professional use, i.e. durability and RF isolation. I thought Chinese OFC cable would be better... but it's not!

Pailiccs connectors are also not that good. Not very tight and copper connectors are not very well polished as well. I.e. there are scratches here and there underneath(!) the "gold" finishing.

But assembly quality is good, I agree here.

All in all, these cables are just not worth their money. For half of that price one might get a similar-sounding cable in their next-door retail store (i.e. philipps, vivanco gold series and etc...). You just need to select carefully. There's lots of crap as well. =)

I also see reviews here very often saying cable is sturdy... is that what you really value most when bying a hi-fi cable?

(i've been comparing my Ghentaudio cable to a Van Den Hull the First bundled with a good quality off-the-shelf 2xRCA to 3,5 TRS adapter)

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #105 of 198
Dont know about Phillips but regarding Vivanci dont see how they are inferior, at least in my little comparisson ( i had the ones from the Pro or Premium or whatever it was called, 2x RCA) at home. That said im still waiting to experience a cable that made all that difference sound-wise and i quote " bring clarity, improve sound stage, etc...", maybe those that cost more than i can afford do, otherwise thats not what ive experienced in some different brands.

And isnt the Van Den Hull the First like 10x more expensive? I hope they are different for the price difference :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back