getting started
May 18, 2015 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

willclark

New Head-Fier
I am thinking between the akg 612 and dt 880. What would be good choice if I am after a well balanced headphone. It would be great to hear any opinions on the two headphones.

May 18, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 19
Those are both good choices. Another popular option in the same class is the Sennheiser HD600, for a smoother, less fatiguing sound. I'd also suggest the Audio Technica AD-900x. All of these are clean, balanced headphones with different presentations. Do you want something slightly more sterile and neutral, more smooth, more aggressive, more fun, etc?

What amp are you using?

May 19, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 19
thank you for asking I was planning on that. I Have read reviews on both the dt880 and akg612 and have found the akg probably a better value? Those sennheisers also look very tempting because people say they have a very full sound. As far as an amp I am thinking a modi/magni combo. Do you think I will really need the modi to bring out the full potential of the headphones? I am also considering the head fiman ef2a tube amplifier. 

May 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Modi and Magni are a good place to start. If you want tubes, Id consider the Vali over the hifiman amp.

The AKG is definitely cheaper than the DT880 or HD600. Are you sensitive to treble? The basic tradeoff is that brighter headphones can sound more exciting but also give a headache. Warmer or smoother headphones are easy to listen to but can sound more boring. It boils down to preference.

May 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 19
If it helps, I just posted my K612 Pros to the for sale forum on Head-Fi. They are good headphones, and ended up with them over the DT880s after trying those.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 19
I bought the magni/ modi. What music programs are used to get high quality files? is itunes considered a good candidate? also do I have to buy an adapter to run the magni/modi from my desktop computer?

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 19
  What music programs are used to get high quality files?

You download the files as is, or each site has its own download manager, then playback is handled by a dedicated player. For example www.hdtracks.com sells everything from 16/44.1 FLAC to DSD, depending on what formats each album they have is available in; I use their download manager, then when it's done I copy the file to a back-up drive and to the folder used by MediaMonkey where I check file tags (and for those with certain restrictions on their players, the album art resolution) and then copy it to the microSD card I use in my phone.

also do I have to buy an adapter to run the magni/modi from my desktop computer?

Buy a USB-A to USB-B cable.  If your motherboard has SPDIF (coaxial or optical), and your version of the Modi has it too, then get whatever cable there is depending on what your computer has.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 19
  Sorry I still dont understand what spdif is.

Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format.

so all i need to get is a usb a and usb b cable to connect the modi to the computer.

Unless your Modi is like the photo above and your motherboard has a corresponding Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format port and you'd rather try that. It requires no drivers but you'd have to set it on the sound device options.

what about a program like tidal?

If your music is available there and your internet connection has no issues, then go right ahead. I haven't heard of any problem so far working with USB DACs.

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 19
I got the magni and modi and my computer doesn't recognize the usb. I believe I have it hooked up correctly. both units are on and the rca cables are hooked up correctly. It just keeps playing the music through the computer speakers on itunes .What am I doing wrong? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back