getting started
Jun 11, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 19
I honestly cant tell any difference
confused_face_2.gif
. I even tried switching through files like 41.7/16 and 96/24 and could tell no actual differences.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 19
  I honestly cant tell any difference
confused_face_2.gif
. I even tried switching through files like 41.7/16 and 96/24 and could tell no actual differences.

You mean 16/44.1? There isn't supposed to be any difference between those settings, in fact if you upsample or oversample you risk adding noise to the track - there was a white paper before where they took measurements from extremely high oversampling DACs (that were not DSD DACs) and they found noise in the signal. Keep it at 16/44.1 or whatever the native resolution of your music is. 

Personally the only real reason to up/oversample any track depends on what benefits you actually get for doing so, and right now the only one I'm aware of is that it allows digital volume control without dropping below 16bits, which is a necessary thing to have on Direct Digital designs where the input is digital and stays that way all the way up to the amplifier output stage, meaning it deletes a lot of analog signal paths - including the potentiometer (volume control). If you're not using a Direct Digital amplifer+DAC, skip oversampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back