Getting new heaphones, I need help.
May 15, 2015 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kisbiflos

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Firstly, a little introduction.
I had few headphones, my last one was a Roccat Kulo 7.1, I bought it for gaming and it was surprisingly good (Good bass, average durability, very loud, on ear isolation I ever met, horribly uncomfortable, minimal transportability). For my smartphone I used my factory issue Samsung ear buds (white, they come with the Galaxy S series) and those were amazing, they had decent bass, very high volume and near perfect isolation, but they were not durable at all, even though I was paying attention. My brother has an around ear Alienware TactX Headset and that is a horrible piece of headset in my opinion (quiet, cheap materials, almost no bass, highs hurt ears, extremely comfortable). I tried different Beats headphones many times, but I was not amazed, I think my Roccat Kulo (72 euros btw) produces better sound. Also the Beats did not fit my ears.

I have already read reviews earlier today but I want to make sure that I spend my last 40 euros on something that will last me 1-2 years.

Now, I want to buy something durable, portable, with good isolation and for music, not gaming. Maximum price is 40 euros, not much I know but I am still in school. I intend to use it mostly with my phone and occasionally at my PC/Laptop.

I was amazed by the comfort and the quality of the AKG K 518.

The other pair I am thinking of is the Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision. I never tried these, but ear buds are easier to transport, keep safe and they have better isolation.

What about the KOSS Porta Pro? Are they good?

Does it matter what kind of music I am listening? :D

Today I tried lots of Sony and Panasonic headphones in the range of 10-60 euros, they were all worse than my Kulo, Beats Solo or the AKG 518. I tried something like Urbanear or Urbanic (I don't remember) it cost 80 euros they were very good but small and on ear, with bad isolation.

P.S.: In the future I am planning to buy a Corsair H2100 Wireless headset for gaming, if you have experience with it please share it with me.

May 16, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 8
I was amazed by the comfort and the quality of the AKG K 518.

Well, that's good to know. Because the K518 seem below average on the comfort scale. I think you'll be good with many choices if they were OK to you.

I like the K518 after I modded mine a little (a bit of blue tack in the cups on the inside takes a way a bit of the boominess and improves the mids slightly). I think you might have trouble getting something you like better for 40 euros. Perhaps this portable headphone shootout would help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-114-portable-headphones-reviewed-xiaomi-mi-headphones-added-04-21-2015

I do think IEMs might be the better SQ value around this price point.

May 16, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 8
Since then, I continued my research and found these:

Xiaomi Piston 2 :
I like it because it has a control thingy, and I read that it is durable

Symphonics NRG:
I like it because it is cheap, I read that it has a decent sound quality and I really love the design

Shure SE112-GR:
Only because I read that it is very loud with almost perfect isolation

House of Marley, Midnight Ravers:
Because they are the most beautiful pairs I have ever seen and they look durable. I read that they SQ is no that good.

Well, that's good to know. Because the K518 seem below average on the comfort scale. I think you'll be good with many choices if they were OK to you.

I have been using a Roccat Kulo for years, for hours on daily basis, If I can handle this discomfort then I think I will find most headphones comfortable. The Kulo is tight, warm and uses synthetic leather which makes my ear itch, and the leather has a part which cuts my ears. :D

May 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 8
My vote goes to the PortaPros if you don't mind a warm sound signature. I've had my pair for a little over a year and have had no durability issues. I always keep them tossed in a bag that I take to and from work so they're always being banged around and use them for indoor and outdoor listening (when I go for jogs, etc.). The warranty is pretty nice too.

May 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 8
PortaPros can go pretty loud, I don't even reach the halfway mark on my Ipad and they are loud and clear in a noisy environment. They can get really loud without an amp. Isolation is so so, if you're listening to them in an otherwise quiet room someone would be able to tell that you're listening to music if they came up next to you. What kind of environment do you plan on using them in?

They're pretty comfortable for on ears, they have a comfort level gimmick "comfortZone" with three levels for different driver placement. It basically allows you to angle the drivers outwards away from your ear so that pressure is focused more on the foam blocks above the drivers that fall above your ears. I typically use mine when I go jogging for an hour at a time and I have no trouble with comfort. When it comes to on-ears though, it really depends on your own tolerance for how they rest on your ears so I would definitely suggest trying a pair first if possible or purchasing from a place with a nice return policy if they don't work out.

May 17, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Very good reply, thank you. I am planning to use them mostly during my walks, I live in a village so there is not much background noise, but I will use it in cities too. Other thing is that as I mentioned I also plan to use it at my PC when I want to listen to music on my "natural mystic" nights. I listen mainly to drum and bass,The Prodigy, dub, lounge, trip hop, reggae sometimes break beat, jazz/nu jazz and electro swing. But mainly DnB, Prodigy and dub (not exactly dub but, Thievery Corporation).
On late nights when I am alone and I am "enchanted" when I am listening to music I can feel the music in my nerves, I would like if my new headphones could also give me this feeling.

May 17, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Hmm, I'm not sure if they'd be the best for giving you a great sense of envelopment (there are of course better headphones out there in regards to detail presentation, albeit they run at a higher price) while in an altered state with those genres as I am unable to test them in that manner. They have a good sound and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much when using them and I'd imagine that listening to them while in an altered state, granted that your hearing perception is affected in a positive way, would be enjoyable. They're great headphones for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back