Getting my wisdom teeth pulled this saturday...
Mar 24, 2006 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

alexs

100+ Head-Fier
That's going to be interesting...appointment at 11 am, and Pearl Jam tickets go on sale at 10am...I better be able to get some :p (btw I already have tix for May 10th...now need tickets for May 9th)

I just hope that I will be able to be myself the next day..I know my sister was high on drugs for like 3 days and slept alot. I've heard bad things, bad stories...can someone help me out and tell me I'll be ok?
biggrin.gif
thanks!

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 26
It's not as bad as what people say. I had mine pulled right after Christmas last year. I only had to take the painkiller once and it was the first day. Keep cleaning the area where you've had your procedure though. I had an infection about 2 weeks after the procedure.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 26
I had no problems when mine were pulled. The nurse gave me a shot in the arm about 30 minutes beforehand in the waiting room. When it was time, I stood up, fell down and smiled. I was so happy listening to the suction made when the teeth were pulled, and staring at the cleavage of the nurse leaning over in front of me the whole time. I was a 19 year old dude who couldn't have been happier. The next 24 hours is rather blurry. I slept a lot and drooled a little blood, but that was it. The following day I was OK to leave the house, but my face looked like a chipmunk. It went down after a couple days. In all, no pain and a much more enjoyable experience than I imagined.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 26
They loaded me up on Vicodin. If you can stand having a slightly sore mouth (think that feeling you get when you've been chewing something for a very long time and your jaw is tired), not being able to eat solid foods, and not being able to move your jaw, you'll be fine.

Be careful about dry sockets, they hurt and will delay recovery. If you get a stinging feeling at all, go to the dentist right away. He can fix it in less than five minutes, and it's so much better. Medicated piece of rubber that keeps it clean from debris and everything, and makes it not sting. Hell, if the dentist is up for it, have him start out by putting the rubber things in there. They make it so much better.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about Vicodin and Morphine and all the industrial strength painkillers. They made my jaw slightly less sore, and that's all. I was on them for five days, never felt any different from normal. Why people get addicted to them is beyond me.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 26
My jaw bone got infected after I had mine pulled. After about 2-3 operations of the doctor scrapping and drilling bone I was still infected. I was on antibiotics for around 6 months while I washed out the hole in my mouth with chemical loaded syringes. Finally had an operation where they put me under and gave my jaw bone hell with a drill. Now I'm fully recovered.
icon10.gif

My situation does not occur often, especially for people my age (16-17 at the time).

Good luck.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 26
It's not so bad.

I remember waking up after getting my wisdom teeth out (all 4 impacted), feeling totally tripped out and loving it, and getting extremely excited, ranting to my girlfriend about how we had to go home ASAP so I could blast some house music. Unfortunately, by the time I got home I didn't feel like house music anymore lol. Instead I fell asleep haha.

Actually it was awesome to lie on the couch and eat icecream for a few days. I watched the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in one sitting, among other feats. Pretty good times, gave me a nice excuse to take a break from working on my master's thesis at the time
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 26
Make sure you get the gas cause it's funnnnn.
biggrin.gif
I remember when I got a couple teeth pulled they said to let them know when I felt like was floating. Well, I kind of waited a little longer to let them know I felt like I was floating and let's just say I don't regret it. I can't wait to get teeth pulled now
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 26
I got my bottom left side done 3 weeks ago. It was nothing during the extraction. Got around 4 stitches. Then an hour later the pain begins, blood traces came out once in a while. For me it was unbearable, so i slept the whole night. I find it hard to eat on that side, so i took all liquid foods for the day after. From the second day, everything was okay, i slowly began to eat solid foods. Overall i survived for this first experience. 3 more to go.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 26
I got both on the ride side done last November. The Xray's showed that they hadn't attached themselves to the jaw bone yet, so getting them out was easy, no gas needed. I was having liquid food later the same day, and solid food 2 days later. I took a total of 1 painkiller pill.

For my left side it's going to be worse. I forgot to schedule to get them out, so it's been over a year now. X-rays show they have attached to the jaw bone so it's going to be major dental surgery now...not looking forward to it.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 26
It wasn't bad at all; the only reason I did have it worse than it should have been was because I didn't take painkillers often enough for a few days. Make sure they use general anesthesia- the whole surgery seems like it lasts 2 seconds; you won't even realise they've done it. And it's an excuse to lie out for a few days
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 26
too late for general...decided to save my parents some money and went for local...we'll see how it goes.

thanks for scaring me with your complications btw..lol. that helps...but to be honest im not at all worried..like i said, more worried about getting PJ tickets
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about Vicodin and Morphine and all the industrial strength painkillers. They made my jaw slightly less sore, and that's all. I was on them for five days, never felt any different from normal. Why people get addicted to them is beyond me.

Try taking 2-3 vicodins on an empty stomach and get back to me. You'll feel like $1 million.
biggrin.gif
I have heard of some people having stomach upset though. I believe laying down alleviates possible nausea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back