Getting my First Headphones looking for some help.
Jun 6, 2017 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NinoDonDino

New Head-Fier
Hello, i'am new here because i want to buy my First Headphones, so far i only got Headsets all the time, but people always say that Headphones have way better Sound so i want to give Headphones a try.

Overall i have no idea of Headphones or Audio stuff at all. But i looked up some Headphones from which i heard that they are good.

Audio-Technica M40X
Audio-Technica M50X
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm or 250ohm (i dont know the difference)

so i dont know if those are good or not... atleast i heard that they are supposed good.

basicly i'am looking for Headphones that are comfy and have big ear cups so that the headphones dont lay on my ears but around them.
I think i would like closed Headphones more then open or halfopen ones, because i think the sound is then better?
I also like a good Bass.
But from what i heard the M50X has better Bass compared to the M40X, but the M50X has some problems with the heights that they are harsher?
I would use the Headphones for Playing Games, Watching Movies/Series and Music (Music wise i hear everything i like but mainly Rock and Metal)
My Money limit is around 150€.
So are the Headphones i looked up good for my claims? or could someone recommend some Headphones that could fit me more?

Besides that is a Soundcard recommended for really good sound? So far i never used a Soundcard.
But someone recommendedme the "Creative Sound Blaster Play! 2" as Soundcard which is a USB Soundcard... but well i have no idea if it is good or not or if i even need it.

Thanks for your help beforehand.

greetings

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 17
The DT770 models really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
Where as the ATH-M40X & ATH-M50X are easier to drive.
What is the make and model of your motherboard?

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 17
The M40x is the more balanced of the two Audio Technicas and you are right, its highs are not as harsh as the M50x's. One other headphone I think you might like is the SoundMAGIC HP150. It is within your budget ($149.99 eur at amazon.de). You might check it out and see what you think. It's closed. And just so you know, there are open headphones that sound outstanding, better than many closed. Just so you are aware.

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 17
Generally open headphones are considered better than closed . This is not always the case but in general it seems to hold true if your looking for soundstage and detail. Not that all closed back have no soundstage or detail as two of my most expensive headphones are closed backs and are great at both but you have to pay a premium for that. I have those for keeping the wife happy as we will sit together as she watches TV and I listen to music.

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 17
I've been very happy with my 250ohm dt770s. They are durable and comfortable, sound great, and were reasonably priced. I wish they had a detachable cable, otherwise no complaints. Keep in mind they are closed back, for me that's a positive but many people prefer open backed. Also they sound best amped. I can drive them with a phone and they sound just fine at max volume, but with an amp they take on another life. They are very common in audio production studios for a good reason.

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 17
I bought now the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm. 80Ohm because in a review i heard that 80Ohm or less dosent really needs an Amp, while for 250Ohm an Amp is pretty much a must have (the more Ohm the more you need an amp) and because i heard that the 80Ohm version has better Bass then 250Ohm.
I also bought the Creative Sound Blast Play! 2 (an USB Soundcard) to see if something changes. I didnt bought a real Soundcard because i think a good one will probably cost around 70+ and 139€ headphones is a kinda big investment for now so i will wait till get more money and see if i really want/need a soundcard.

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 17
I bought now the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm. 80Ohm because in a review i heard that 80Ohm or less dosent really needs an Amp, while for 250Ohm an Amp is pretty much a must have (the more Ohm the more you need an amp) and because i heard that the 80Ohm version has better Bass then 250Ohm.
I also bought the Creative Sound Blast Play! 2 (an USB Soundcard) to see if something changes. I didnt bought a real Soundcard because i think a good one will probably cost around 70+ and 139€ headphones is a kinda big investment for now so i will wait till get more money and see if i really want/need a soundcard.
The Beyerdynamic DT770 is a great choice as a first headphone. I tried it and it seems to have really nice bass and clarity.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 17
The Headphones and the Soundcard arrived today, and i have to say that i'am not really pleased with it. Well atleast for the Soundcard i dont really care much. But i really had my hopes up for the Headphones.
I got the 80ohm version because people sayd it has more Bass as the 250ohm version (even a Streamer i watched for a long Time had these and sayd that they had much bass so that his Head was vibrating when Songs hat much Bass). But for me i had like 0 Bass... i listenng to multiple Songs on Youtube and on my PC and the Sound was really flat but clear. First when i started listening to Bass Boosted songs on Youtube or changed sound settings on my Music player i felt a little bit Bass but it was really minimal.
So i will return them and the search for new Headphones goes on.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 17
That is interesting, I find my 250ohm dt770s to have a good amount of bass. What kind of files did you play on yours? Did you try adjusting eq settings? I would try them with a high quality mp3, flac, or a CD to make sure that's not the issue. Also hook them up to another device to make sure it's actually the headphones that are the issue.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 17
Another option is the new Fostex T-x0 going up on Massdrop... Basically a rebranded th-50rp, with some tuning and comfort tweaks. Price is 149 USD, so I don't know what they will be to you. It would also benefit from an amp.

Jun 8, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 17
That is interesting, I find my 250ohm dt770s to have a good amount of bass. What kind of files did you play on yours? Did you try adjusting eq settings? I would try them with a high quality mp3, flac, or a CD to make sure that's not the issue. Also hook them up to another device to make sure it's actually the headphones that are the issue.
Well i already returned them, but when i Tested them i compared them with my HyperX Cloud Headset. The HyperX Cloud had way way more Bass, not that i would say that it has a good Bass but i can feel that there is some Bass in many Song. While with the Beyerdynamics with the same Song i heard like nothing it was just clear Sound and the Beyerdynamics were quieter too.
To listen so music on my Pc i use Windows Music Player and there fore i use the Graphic Equalizer to change the Bass, Highs and Mids and all that stuff.
To get for my Taste the Best Bass out of the Graphic Equalizer i go for following Settings.

http://imgur.com/wJKARsL

From left to right.
14, 10, 6, 4, 2, 2, 4 ,6, 10, 14
For me i get a good Sound and they Sound stronger because they dont really get more Bass with thoise settings.
But with the Graphic Equalizer i got a problem right now. Everytime a Song is finished and the next song starts or the same songs Starts again the Sound gets really rough and scratchy and i dont know why.

Well i know Windows Music Player is for sure not the best option to listen to Music and my setup is no doubt about it not really good to get the best or nearly really good Sound (since i dont even have a Soundcard), but with the same Setup for me the HyperX Cloud sounds better then the Beyerdynamics.
And maybe or probably with a Better Setup that would change but my Money is kinda limited and so the Beyerdynamics+ a Soundcard or something like that would be way to expensive for me rought now.

Another option is the new Fostex T-x0 going up on Massdrop... Basically a rebranded th-50rp, with some tuning and comfort tweaks. Price is 149 USD, so I don't know what they will be to you. It would also benefit from an amp.
I cant find them on any German site where i know i could get Headphones from i will look around abit more. But thanks for the recommendation

Jun 8, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 17
From left to right.
14, 10, 6, 4, 2, 2, 4 ,6, 10, 14
For me i get a good Sound and they Sound stronger because they dont really get more Bass with thoise settings.
But with the Graphic Equalizer i got a problem right now. Everytime a Song is finished and the next song starts or the same songs Starts again the Sound gets really rough and scratchy and i dont know why.

Not quite sure why you would adjust a headphone with a v-shaped sound signature with a v-shaped equalizer setting but... to be quite honest, if you like the HyperX, just stick with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be the kind of person who just wants skull crushing bass. Most "audiophile" headphones won't appeal to you if that is the case.

You can try checking out this thread for some recommendation on bass heavy headphones but I'm not liable for any head trauma you get from the recommendation there...
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Not quite sure why you would adjust a headphone with a v-shaped sound signature with a v-shaped equalizer setting but... to be quite honest, if you like the HyperX, just stick with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be the kind of person who just wants skull crushing bass. Most "audiophile" headphones won't appeal to you if that is the case.

You can try checking out this thread for some recommendation on bass heavy headphones but I'm not liable for any head trauma you get from the recommendation there...
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

Hm. I'am not sure if i want Skull crushing bass... i just want good amout of Bass and not just kinda flat sound. I mean multiple people sayd that the dt770s have really good bass and i think that they have like no Bass. Like i sayd i currently use the HyperX Cloud which is a 80-100€ Headset and it has more Bass.
To the v-shape... well i have no idea of sounds and all the equalizer stuff i was just going for what sounds for me the best.
And i dont really like the HyperX... they arnt really comfy and for me they have not enough bass... yeah they have more bass as the dt770s, but a bit more bass would be better but i dont think that the bass has to be skull crushing.

Jun 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 17
Hm. I'am not sure if i want Skull crushing bass... i just want good amout of Bass and not just kinda flat sound. I mean multiple people sayd that the dt770s have really good bass and i think that they have like no Bass. Like i sayd i currently use the HyperX Cloud which is a 80-100€ Headset and it has more Bass.
To the v-shape... well i have no idea of sounds and all the equalizer stuff i was just going for what sounds for me the best.
And i dont really like the HyperX... they arnt really comfy and for me they have not enough bass... yeah they have more bass as the dt770s, but a bit more bass would be better but i dont think that the bass has to be skull crushing.

Maybe try something from VModa? I can't comment on their other models apart from the M100 (which is $250 so it's out of your price range) but most of their headphones look solidly build and I would assume they are as comfortable and have a comparable sound quality to the M100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back