Getting line out of iPod without bulky dock?
Feb 22, 2006 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
With my amplifier I've been toting the large bulky dock around with me to hook up to my headphone amp. Is there a way to get just the line out without the rest of the dock?

If I didn't still use the dock to charge I'd dremel it down to size. hehe
biggrin.gif

What are my options? It's a new video iPod so I'd like to not simply "upgrade the source" if possible. Yea, it's an ipod, it sucks, i know. I'm a sucker for apple products though.

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 17
TURBOdock II option looks killer! As does the sik din, right to the amp. Thanks gshan!

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 17
Why doesn't anyone sell one of those with the mini-mini built in?

Biggie.

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 17
Feb 22, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
With my amplifier I've been toting the large bulky dock around with me to hook up to my headphone amp. Is there a way to get just the line out without the rest of the dock?

If I didn't still use the dock to charge I'd dremel it down to size. hehe
biggrin.gif

What are my options? It's a new video iPod so I'd like to not simply "upgrade the source" if possible. Yea, it's an ipod, it sucks, i know. I'm a sucker for apple products though.

The Red Wine Audio iMod will be your best best when it comes to size(no dock!) and sound quality(better than with dock!) at a price of ~$200

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
The Red Wine Audio iMod will be your best best when it comes to size(no dock!) and sound quality(better than with dock!) at a price of ~$200

He has a video ipod which Vinnie won't mod.... so a dock is the only real way to go about it

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 17
I also have an older iPod 3rd gen. It seems to have lots less noise regardless of headphone/line out or wether or not anything is playing. The 3rd gen in general sounds better to me, maybe I should mod that one?

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
I also have an older iPod 3rd gen. It seems to have lots less noise regardless of headphone/line out or wether or not anything is playing. The 3rd gen in general sounds better to me, maybe I should mod that one?

Did you say that iPod 3rd gen has a better sound than the iPod 5th gen?

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 17
Well to me, my ears and my super.fi 5's, yes. They are quite revealing of hiss/noise present in both iPods, even more so through my amp and I can 100% positively detect more in the 5th gen ipod than the 3rd. Blindfolded, with my hands behind my back. And my legs crossed. No problem.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 17
I have the pocketdock, the Sik Din and the TurboII. Turbo's product is noticably better than the other two and his customer service is outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back