Getting into Porcupine Tree - what albums to get first?
Jan 29, 2011 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

b0ck3n

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been listening to Opeth since forever, definitely one of my favourite acts, and I really loved the impact Steven Wilson had on Deliverance and Damnation. So I figured I'd try some Porcupine Tree, and started off with "Fear of a Blank Planet" 'cause I'd heard great things about it. It's easy to draw parallels between it and aforementioned Opeth recordings, and I really enjoyed it on the first listen.

So, I figured I'd ask what other albums Porcupine Tree fans around here would recommend. I generally dislike happy music but loved the melancholic atmosphere on "Fear of a Blank Planet".

Appreciate the help!

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 37
The Sky Moves Sideways
Signify
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
In Absentia
Deadwing

Their most important albums, besides Fear of a Blank Planet. Stupid Dream is my personal favorite, but In Absentia is considered by most to be their Magnum opus. Be warned that the pre-Stupid Dream albums are of a different style and can be hard to get into.

And while you are at it, check out Riverside, another great band, starting with either Out of Myself or Second Life Syndrome.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 37

Quote:
The Sky Moves Sideways
Signify
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
In Absentia
Deadwing

I agree with this for the most part. I'd say that Deadwing is my favorite and really dragged me in, Stupid Dream being the weakest in this bunch. YMMV, of course. The Sky Moves Sideways is good and melancholy, but I wouldn't say that it's absolutely essential to get started.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 37

Quote:
The Sky Moves Sideways
Signify
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
In Absentia
Deadwing

Their most important albums, besides Fear of a Blank Planet. Stupid Dream is my personal favorite, but In Absentia is considered by most to be their Magnum opus. Be warned that the pre-Stupid Dream albums are of a different style and can be hard to get into.

And while you are at it, check out Riverside, another great band, starting with either Out of Myself or Second Life Syndrome.

I imagine your CD collection is on the larger side
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm very grateful for your assistance in my quest to expand on my music library, thanks a bunch.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 37
I'd say first would be In Absentia, followed by Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. In Absentia is really accessible, without losing Porcupine Tree's edge.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 37
1. Stupid Dream
2. Lightbulb Sun
3. Recordings

And others worth checking out after the above three:
Up The Downstair
Signify
In Absentia
Deadwing

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 37
I really love Opeh and Porcupine Tree both. I think, though, that an Opeth fan would probably like Deadwing or The Incident best, as they are PTree's heaviest albums. My favorite is In Absentia, but it is less heavy. Same with Lightbulb Sun.

Forgetting about how heavy they are, I would rate them:

In Absentia > Deadwing > Lightbulb Sun > The Incident > Fear of a Blank Planet > Stupid Dream > Signify > etc etc

Of course YMMV...

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 37
they are all great!

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 37
If you like Opeth I'd start with In Absentia, move on to Deadwing, and then work your way back through their catalogue. Throw The Incident in their somewhere too. The further back you go the more different they sound. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 37
the "second phase" after the psychedelic albums, I'd say Stupid dream, Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia, any of those will be OK, such a good band.

I've always love PT live albums, Arriving somewhere ... , XM Radio Special and Warzsawa are my favorites.

Have you ever tried Blackfield?

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 37
Alot of PT fans here I say :) Like I said in the first post I got 'Fear of a Blank Planet' first and really loved it right away, and it gets better and better every time I listen to it. 'In Absentia' is currently playing, and halfway through I'm quite enjoying it, although it's a bit too accessible/mainstream for my tastes. I've listened to, and enjoyed, some weird music in my day, so I doubt that there's anything in their catalog that's too "difficult" for me.

Either way, I think it's becoming clear that this might very well be a new favourite of mine and I'll work my way their entire discography, and that's both good and bad news. Some 20 albums amount to a fair bit of cash :) And both Riverside and Blackfield sound interesting from what I could hear on YouTube.

Thanks all for your contribution!

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 37
I also came to Porcupine Tree after listening to Opeth for a while.  For some reason though, I just can't get into Porcupine Tree's heavier albums such as In Absentia and Deadwing as much as their more psychadelic stuff. For me, their heavier stuff just isn't thought out at as well. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 37

Quote:
I also came to Porcupine Tree after listening to Opeth for a while.  For some reason though, I just can't get into Porcupine Tree's heavier albums such as In Absentia and Deadwing as much as their more psychadelic stuff. For me, their heavier stuff just isn't thought out at as well. 

the other way around for me, found a track by opeth in a PT album, then i read it was because Wilson mixed that album

Death Whispered a Lullaby from Damnation is in Futile

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 37

Quote:

I've only heard two albums thus far, where In Absentia didn't blow me away at all, but Fear of a Blank Planet had a LOT of Damnation atmosphere about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back