Getting into electrostats
Nov 7, 2008 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I was planning on getting a brand new electrostatic system and was wondering whether I should start with the stax 2050 system or the koss esp950. Ive heard things about the bad amp of the 950, but the headphone itself being very capable. Problem is... Don't you lose the koss lifetime warranty if you mod the 950s in any way?

Where should I start?

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 60
If you are not sure whether stats are for you, it is easiest to cough up a bunch of $$, get a pair of O2 and a SRD-7pro. If the O2/SRD-7pro can't do it for you then sell the system and move to high-end dynamics.

I am almost all electrostatics now, but I do agree they are not for everybody (for example, the bass, the bass and the bass). Going directly to the O2 will save $ and time, in the long run.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 60
I've had the esp950s before actually. This was around 1993 I think before I got my hd580s which i didn't like as much at the time... even though I was a basshead back then. The 580s although having more bass didn't satisfy me with my headroom amp at the time. The koss was nice and tight sounding. I was an idiot for selling them. I only have stereophile to blame hehehe.

Anyway, I only have money to buy either of the ones I mentioned... So based on that, what would you vote for. Which one sounds clearer without any peakiness with the included amps?

Also to the guys that vote... I would highly appreciate it if you stated why you voted for the one you did so that I can have a better grasp of what one does better than the other... Thanks

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 60
to add to the mix, ive heard good things about the stax 003 but dont like the portable form factor. On sq alone though feel free to comment about the 003 cause it will probably be a part of the candidates if it sounds better than the above cans

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are not sure whether stats are for you, it is easiest to cough up a bunch of $$, get a pair of O2 and a SRD-7pro. If the O2/SRD-7pro can't do it for you then sell the system and move to high-end dynamics.

This is why I love the high-end forum. If you're not sure whether something is good, go for the pinnacle of its technology and then make a decision
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 60
Anybody with a link comparing these cans by the way? Ive never seen a stock esp 950 review in the first place how much more a comparison between the 2050

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 60
I had the 252 amp before and was not impressed (it was driving a 003, in a SRS-005). Had the Lambda pro before and wasn't impressed either. so I'd guess 2050 can't be that good..... only guessing, guessing, you know....

The 950 is the way to go if you have to pick one of the two. Even if you end up getting better amps to drive the 950 later on, the E/90, though supposedly crappy, is still useful as transportable (just add a 12V li-ion battery pack). Of course the same can be said about the 252 amp but the 202 phones (supposedly) don't have as much potential as the 950.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why I love the high-end forum. If you're not sure whether something is good, go for the pinnacle of its technology and then make a decision
biggrin.gif

hehe, this is the high-end forum, we can get away with doing that, no?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 60
Why don't you sit back and wait for comment. Its only been two hours and your jumping all over the shop.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 60
I own the ESP950 system and I would say the amp is passable, but not good. I switched to the KGSS and the phones improved tremendously in body and tone. The phones definitely have a higher headroom than the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back