Getting Impressions, still unsure of what IEM
Jan 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

raif

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=xx-small]DISCLAIMER: I am going to keep my trend of barely read threads going here, so if you have been following my past efforts, it will be more of the same.(i.e. requests for discourse vs. specific questions, non-sensational observations and realistic interpretations of audio quality improvements)[/size]

I am going in for impressions today and I am still a little torn on which route I would like to head for my custom iems. I will be pairing them with the nano->tomahawk and using apple lossless.

Right now I am swaying towards the es2. I am a huge fan of the grado sound and have read that their presentation is somewhere between the 225s and ps-1s. If that is true, then I will be pleased as punch.

I originally was interested in the ue-10 but recent threads have put me off a bit. It seems that they need to be played loud to reach their potential and I am a big fan of low level listening. Specifically, doobaloo and neilvg's impressions are what have worried me.

I am also curious about the sensas. However, once again, recent threads have spooked me a bit. I don't like the idea of their supposed increased brightness, nor the exorbitant repair costs.

If any one has any opposing observations than the ones I have previously read I would love to hear them.

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 2
[size=xx-small]This is great. It's like my own little Live Journal.[/size]

So I pulled the trigger on some es-2s today.

A little advice for those going in for impressions, be prepared for some deep probing. They put a little foam device basically all the way down to the eardrum, then the stick what looks like a caulking gun up against the foam and fill your entire ear. Really weird experience, and my left ear is still a tad tender.(from the foam, the caulking substance actually felt pretty good.) I always used to worry that I cleaned my ears too deep when using a q-tip, now I know I am no where near the end of my ear canal.

I am curious if the isolation of the actual iem will match whatever it is they used for my impressions. If so, I can't wait. I am going to be walking around the streets in my own personal musical heaven, right up until I get hit by a car.

So apparently my westone should arrive in a fortnight. I will probably get back with some impressions that like me and one other guy will actually read. So if you are that guy, thanks for tuning in, I'll talk to you again in about two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back