getting harder and harder...help!
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cauc4sian

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I am looking for a headphone with sound quality preferred over price (yet have limits). Spended more than 10 hours searching forums, reading reviews and recommendations and become more confused.

I am going to use headphone with iMac 2011 21''. Not interested in portable headphones.

I listen almost all music genres (except rock-too noisy for me). rap and electronic are favourites. Bass is important for me.

I don't have amp.

I have never listened open back phones and the only apple inner ear headphones.

After some research decided to buy DT990 600 ohm version. But hard to decide on amp.

Some reviews and recom. says ssa are better for beyers, some says otl.

Please help me on decision.

Thanks

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 10
So you don't need headphones, you just need to decide on an amp then? What's your budget?

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 10
So you don't need headphones, you just need to decide on an amp then? What's your budget?

Thanks for reply

Almost decided for headphones. But I'll be glad with any suggestions according to my first message.

And yes, I need to decide on amp for DT990 600ohm.

Do you think audeze lcd2 worth to buy vs 170$ DT990?(I mean in terms of its 5x price).

I want to spend around 1000-1500$ for a long 'journey'.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 10
I would recommend Hifiman He 560 headphones! It is crazy good performing headphones for the price! I doubt you find something better in 500 price range or more.
My recommendation is to buy He 560 and go to it's forums and ask for good amp pairing.
I own Sennheiser HD800S, but im still eyeing He 560 heavily.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 10
If youre into bass I dont see the need for open backed headphones,as closed back have bigger and heavier bass than opens.Further I dont find the DT990 to be super bass heavy,certainly not basshead territory.

It might help if you told us just how important bass is to you....

And yes, I need to decide on amp for DT990 600ohm.

If youre stuck on the DT990 I'd opt for an OTL.

Do you think audeze lcd2 worth to buy vs 170$ DT990?(I mean in terms of its 5x price).

LCD-2c is coming out shortly( or might already be out) and its reasonably priced.It has prodigious sub bass extension,but it doesnt slam super hard.Still I think the LCD-2 is a superior listen vs. the DT990,but be aware they are totally different sounding headphones.DT990 is very bright.The LCD-2 is quite warm.

If I were you Id look for an original HE-400(not the 's' or 'i' version)or check out the Taction Kannon if you want extreme bass.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 10
I would recommend Hifiman He 560 headphones! It is crazy good performing headphones for the price! I doubt you find something better in 500 price range or more.
My recommendation is to buy He 560 and go to it's forums and ask for good amp pairing.
I own Sennheiser HD800S, but im still eyeing He 560 heavily.

Thanks for reply

I'll check it now

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 10
No problem, its very easy to buy overpriced headphones these days, that perform weak in its price range but Hifiman He 400i and He 560 is not one of those.
Just whatever you do dont buy Dt990 for music.
I loved it absolutely for gaming and movies but it is not suitable for music because it sounds very non realistic and extremely harsh.
My Violectric V280 sounds fantastic with many planars and especially good with HD800S, Utopia and He 560, but it is way over 1000 us.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 10
If youre into bass I dont see the need for open backed headphones,as closed back have bigger and heavier bass than opens.Further I dont find the DT990 to be super bass heavy,certainly not basshead territory.

LCD-2c is coming out shortly( or might already be out) and its reasonably priced.It has prodigious sub bass extension,but it doesnt slam super hard.Still I think the LCD-2 is a superior listen vs. the DT990,but be aware they are totally different sounding headphones.DT990 is very bright.The LCD-2 is quite warm.

If I were you Id look for an original HE-400(not the 's' or 'i' version)or check out the Taction Kannon if you want extreme bass.

Thanks fot reply

I'm not basshead i guess... since i m a noob. But i feel bass into my bones and looking for a phone make me feel music into bones.

I'll check HE400,thanks.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks fot reply

I'm not basshead i guess... since i m a noob. But i feel bass into my bones and looking for a phone make me feel music into bones.

I'll check HE400,thanks.

Headphones arent capable of making you feel bass in the bones.Headphones arent capable of what speakers are.If you want that kind of bass you need to get one of these
The Taction Kannon would be the next best thing.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 10

Thanks for reply, appreciate it.

Not looking for extreme bass. I'll be looking for hifiman series you guys adviced here. thanks a lot again

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back