Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Apr 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #226 of 5,506

Hickeydog

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Posts
36
Likes
11
I just got called out some little punk kid on campus for my Bose.  He said that nothing beats Beats and I was an idiot for buying Bose (well, he did have last part correct.....) I just told him "enjoy your $40 sounding phones then" and walked off.  
 
Apr 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #229 of 5,506

pjs42

Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Posts
50
Likes
11
it happened to me downtown i was wearing a second hand pair of hd25-1s.4 hip hop,rappers i think were sporting their "beats" and asked me if it was worth the fifty bucks i spent on my cans.lol.i then let one of them listen and i saw the guy's jaw hit the ground!
 
Apr 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #230 of 5,506

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Posts
3,031
Likes
103
Location
Seattle
Same here, a few of my friend own the Solos and the Studious. They are ignorant and think the sound is absolutely incredible. I am done trying to argue as well, it's just not worth it.
 
Apr 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #232 of 5,506

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Posts
13,282
Likes
296
'ey dawg, how dem $50 cans workin' fo' ya? (various giggling from cohorts)
 
Quite well, thank you. In fact, check it. (Hand over 25s)
 
...shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
 
---
 
This is what went through my head after reading your post. lol
 
Quote:
it happened to me downtown i was wearing a second hand pair of hd25-1s.4 hip hop,rappers i think were sporting their "beats" and asked me if it was worth the fifty bucks i spent on my cans.lol.i then let one of them listen and i saw the guy's jaw hit the ground!



 
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #233 of 5,506

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Posts
577
Likes
14
I have had 2 incidents with co-workers. I don't bring my cans to work because I have no opportunity to listen to them, but they know I am into them. One person, who I a am somewhat friendly with, told me it was evil to buy headphones as expensive as I have. He insisted that music producers say you can not hear the difference over $300 headphones. He is a Musician by the way, calling it evil. He also said I should not own custom IEM's because only musicians need them, apparently I am not deserving.
 
Another co-worker, asked why I didn't own any Beats since I liked audio so much. I told him they were horribly overpriced and not very good sounding. I don't think he would have spent the money on them anyway, but I believe I may have changed his opinion on the subject. If I can stop even one sale for Monster, I have done my job.
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #234 of 5,506

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Posts
13,282
Likes
296
Well, Monster DOES make some decent products. Miles Davis comes to mind. Sure, there are better, but they're not bad considering the rest of their track record.
 
Also, I think if he were a producer he'd feel differently. Just because he's a 'musician' doesn't mean he cares about SQ, that's not really his job. He just plays it. lol
 
Quote:
I have had 2 incidents with co-workers. I don't bring my cans to work because I have no opportunity to listen to them, but they know I am into them. One person, who I a am somewhat friendly with, told me it was evil to buy headphones as expensive as I have. He insisted that music producers say you can not hear the difference over $300 headphones. He is a Musician by the way, calling it evil. He also said I should not own custom IEM's because only musicians need them, apparently I am not deserving.
 
Another co-worker, asked why I didn't own any Beats since I liked audio so much. I told him they were horribly overpriced and not very good sounding. I don't think he would have spent the money on them anyway, but I believe I may have changed his opinion on the subject. If I can stop even one sale for Monster, I have done my job.



 
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #235 of 5,506

WhiteCrow

Is not fooled by rapper-endorsed products.
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Posts
3,529
Likes
120
but have you seen the price?
 
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #236 of 5,506

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Posts
577
Likes
14
I know Monster makes a few good products. While I appreciate that, I feel like 98% of their products are overpriced and misrepresented. Of course they are not the only company selling Audio/Video cables for way to much money, but they do one of the best jobs preying on peoples ignorance. As a business you always want to sell your product at the max the market will allow, so I suppose you can't fault them too much, but I would not cost them much more money to make the beats a decent headphone. If other companies can sell better for hundreds less, at least they could make something that people like us could only make fun of for being overpriced. As it stands now it is overpriced, and horrible sounding.
 
While a musician may not care about sound quality to the level a producer or engineer should, it does not mean they should be so closed minded as to call it evil. It was just a bit over the top for me. I could have understood if he said he could not hear a difference and found it to be a waste of money. That is fine, but evil.
Quote:
Well, Monster DOES make some decent products. Miles Davis comes to mind. Sure, there are better, but they're not bad considering the rest of their track record.
 
Also, I think if he were a producer he'd feel differently. Just because he's a 'musician' doesn't mean he cares about SQ, that's not really his job. He just plays it. lol
 


 


 
 
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #237 of 5,506

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Posts
13,282
Likes
296
Oh was he serious? Evil tends to be a sarcastic term I hear a lot. But honestly evil? How so? It's your money, not his. :|
 
Quote:
I know Monster makes a few good products. While I appreciate that, I feel like 98% of their products are overpriced and misrepresented. Of course they are not the only company selling Audio/Video cables for way to much money, but they do one of the best jobs preying on peoples ignorance. As a business you always want to sell your product at the max the market will allow, so I suppose you can't fault them too much, but I would not cost them much more money to make the beats a decent headphone. If other companies can sell better for hundreds less, at least they could make something that people like us could only make fun of for being overpriced. As it stands now it is overpriced, and horrible sounding.
 
While a musician may not care about sound quality to the level a producer or engineer should, it does not mean they should be so closed minded as to call it evil. It was just a bit over the top for me. I could have understood if he said he could not hear a difference and found it to be a waste of money. That is fine, but evil.

 
 



 
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #238 of 5,506

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Posts
577
Likes
14
He was very serious about it being evil. He was trying to tell me I would not be able to tell the difference in anything over $300, and how spending that much was why America is horrible, consumerism, blah blah blah. I sort of stopped listening. We are both very stubborn people, so I just stopped arguing eventually. I knew I could not change his mind. I honestly just believe it is Jealousy. Anything better than he has, must be evil. I have also been criticized by him for going to Private school. Apparently we are all stuck up snobs that believe ourselves better than everyone else. He tried explaining how that made him better than private schoolers, such as myself. It did not make a whole lot of sense. I live in New Orleans, where unfortunately the public school system is worse than most, and if you want a quality education you have to pay for it. It is getting better, and if I am lucky things will be dramatically different by the time I have a wife and kids. I have no intention of paying the kind of money for my kids education that my parents spent on mine. I ran into one of my high school teachers last year and I was told tuition is now up to $17,000 a year. That is obscene. I start Nursing school this fall and I think tuition + books will cost me around $4,000 a year. Do you realize how many pairs of Beats you can buy for $17,000.
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #239 of 5,506

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Posts
13,282
Likes
296
That IS ridiculous. 17 grand a year for a private school (I'm assuming K - 12?)...A lot of colleges don't even cost that much. Absolutely ridiculous.
 
Texas has a pretty messed up public school system, so I definitely understand why you'd want to put your kids in a private school...BUT 17 GRAND A YEAR? Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
 
Quote:
He was very serious about it being evil. He was trying to tell me I would not be able to tell the difference in anything over $300, and how spending that much was why America is horrible, consumerism, blah blah blah. I sort of stopped listening. We are both very stubborn people, so I just stopped arguing eventually. I knew I could not change his mind. I honestly just believe it is Jealousy. Anything better than he has, must be evil. I have also been criticized by him for going to Private school. Apparently we are all stuck up snobs that believe ourselves better than everyone else. He tried explaining how that made him better than private schoolers, such as myself. It did not make a whole lot of sense. I live in New Orleans, where unfortunately the public school system is worse than most, and if you want a quality education you have to pay for it. It is getting better, and if I am lucky things will be dramatically different by the time I have a wife and kids. I have no intention of paying the kind of money for my kids education that my parents spent on mine. I ran into one of my high school teachers last year and I was told tuition is now up to $17,000 a year. That is obscene. I start Nursing school this fall and I think tuition + books will cost me around $4,000 a year. Do you realize how many pairs of Beats you can buy for $17,000.



 
 
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #240 of 5,506

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Posts
4,481
Likes
71
its ok guys. canada's education system is no better. you can get by easily. just show up for a few classes. do some test and bang you've graduated. though i think our system is still better then the us of a's but its still trash. apparently finland has the best education system in the world. then again look at all the talented musicians coming out of finland these days.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top