Getting a nice headphone as graduation for my niece. Need help in selecting headphone
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
My niece will be graduating High school and she's really big into music. I want to get a really nice pair of phones that she can use when she's in college. Since this is a graduation present my budget is up to $1000K. She mostly listens to pop music, (Justin Bieber, Usher, Katie Perry, Kelly Clarkson, David Guetta, Pink, Taylor swift, B.O.B, Panamore and etc..)

I'm not sure what type of headphone would best suit her.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 10
The V-Moda M80 is a great headphones.  It is well made, good sounding, and comes with an awesome case.  They look pretty awesome as well.

They can be a tad bassy for some, but if your niece likes the current pop music then a little more bass may be a good thing.  I think for $50 extra you can add customized art to the ear piece covers which is a great way to add a little flare to an already good looking headphone.

All versions of the V-Moda M80 sound identical.  The colors and a few design choices make up the differences.  This includes the V-Moda M80 Trueblood you may see around at stores.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 10
I doubt your niece would appreciate a headphone that expensive, by appreciate I mean really listen to the music enough to warrant something that high-end, something around $200 would do well, that seems to be the king of price:performance and has a lot of great options, something such as the M80s as NA Blur recommended, fashion concious aswell which I'm sure your niece would definitely appreciate, Sennheiser 598 and Denon D2000 might be worth a look too, you might also want a grab a cheaper dac/amp combo, an O2+ODAC at a stretch if you really want to spend a bit, FiiO E10 as a cheaper alternative.

And if you really want to spoil her, take her shopping for clothes aswell, she'd probably enjoy that more than a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I doubt your niece would appreciate a headphone that expensive, by appreciate I mean really listen to the music enough to warrant something that high-end, something around $200 would do well, that seems to be the king of price:performance and has a lot of great options, something such as the M80s as NA Blur recommended, fashion concious aswell which I'm sure your niece would definitely appreciate, Sennheiser 598 and Denon D2000 might be worth a look too, you might also want a grab a cheaper dac/amp combo, an O2+ODAC at a stretch if you really want to spend a bit, FiiO E10 as a cheaper alternative.

And if you really want to spoil her, take her shopping for clothes aswell, she'd probably enjoy that more than a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s.

She's plays with a band on and off. She plays guitar + piano. She also writes some songs for the band. Not sure how into the band thing she is but her mom & dad just got her very nice guitar. I know she has a headphone but it's pretty beat up so I figure I'll get her something nice. Of course clothes would work too lol

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

She's plays with a band on and off. She plays guitar + piano. She also writes some songs for the band. Not sure how into the band thing she is but her mom & dad just got her very nice guitar. I know she has a headphone but it's pretty beat up so I figure I'll get her something nice. Of course clothes would work too lol

Might help to know what she would be plugging the headphones into?
Mp3 player? Cell phone? receiver? Mini stereo system? Guitar amp?

Maybe get her two headphones, one closed for use in public and one open for in private.
Beyerdynamic T70s (closed) are some sweet sounding headphones, new ones ($560) are too high priced, get a good used one off Amazon for $300.
Beyerdynamic DT880 600-Ohms (open), used $250.

Maybe O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155), can easy drive most headphones (16-Ohm to 600-Ohm) and can also be used like a normal desktop amplifier.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Might help to know what she would be plugging the headphones into?
Mp3 player? Cell phone? receiver? Mini stereo system? Guitar amp?

Maybe get her two headphones, one closed for use in public and one open for in private.
Beyerdynamic T70s (closed) are some sweet sounding headphones, new ones ($560) are too high priced, get a good used one off Amazon for $300.
Beyerdynamic DT880 600-Ohms (open), used $250.

Maybe O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155), can easy drive most headphones (16-Ohm to 600-Ohm) and can also be used like a normal desktop amplifier.

Great, I'll take a look at those. She uses her current headphones for everything. Iphone, guitar, computer, and piano when she needs to do it without disturbing people

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Great, I'll take a look at those. She uses her current headphones for everything. IPhone, guitar, computer, and piano when she needs to do it without disturbing people

For something for use with the iPhone, I would think more of a smaller foldable headphones, the JVC-HA500-Z are $77, only ships from Japan (that were I got mine from).
It can easily work plugged straight into the iPhone.
and then get a full sized headphone for everything else.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Beyer COP. It has nice features + it can be customized (appearance and sound)

A portable amp/dac for on the go is not a bad idea. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back