Getting a new ipod
Dec 27, 2007 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

wINDy

New Head-Fier
Hi to Head-Fi , having a newbie audiophile here.

I need help in purchasing a new ipod. With the launch of classic and touch , I'm very unsure with what to get. There's a 3 day promotion for both and I really want to decide and buy quick. SQ is very important. I'm just wondering is it true the Touch SQ is better than the classic? I dont really need the Touch functions but I can sure use them in handy ( Wi-Fi ftw ). I need help deciding over these 2.

If the Touch sounds better than Classic , I'll get Touch , or else Classic. I need a lot of space but can't compromise over the SQ. Pairing it with a superfi5pro. Any help? The 160GB can also help to store videos. I watch videos too.

Current rig : Zen Vision M + sf5pro

Thanks!!

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 23
What is bad about your current rig? I used the same rig for a long time and there was not much I would complain about. Maybe a portable amp would be better?

If you need more space a Classic would be the best I guess.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 23
I'm wondering why you would go from a creative to an ipod? There are so many better options than ipods.
Do you know you will be forced to use there software to load music?
And forget about going somewhere and thinking you will just plug your ipod into there PC and sharing your music. Ipods are pretty much a locked box...There are much better choices out there.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 23
To the poster above me: Instead of simply bashing the iPod, perhaps you should actually name the better alternatives you speak of?

OP: If space is a big concern for you, get the iPod classic. I cannot compare the SQ of the Touch and the Classic for you, but if you think you need a lot of space, then the Touch is simply not an option. If you're willing to spend $280 for 8GB of space, perhaps you should look at purchasing the iMod instead, as I cannot imagine the iMod having a worse SQ then the Touch; and if we disregard the Touch's other features, then the iMod offers more space per dollar.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ataraxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the poster above me: Instead of simply bashing the iPod, perhaps you should actually name the better alternatives you speak of?

OP: If space is a big concern for you, get the iPod classic. I cannot compare the SQ of the Touch and the Classic for you, but if you think you need a lot of space, then the Touch is simply not an option. If you're willing to spend $280 for 8GB of space, perhaps you should look at purchasing the iMod instead, as I cannot imagine the iMod having a worse SQ then the Touch; and if we disregard the Touch's other features, then the iMod offers more space per dollar.

ataraxia, I wasn't bashing the ipod I was merely pointing out the unbelievable incredible weaknesses of them...reasons to me would make me wonder why anyone would ever even buy an ipod or even a zune for that matter.

But I'll recommend a few:

Cowon i7 - 8gb to 16gb of storage
Cowon D2 - 2gb to 24gb of storage
Sony 610 & 810 series - 8gb of storage
Sumsung P2 - 8gb of storage..which I don't recommend because of lesser sound quality then the above players.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 23
From what I've read I think the SQ of the Ipod Touch is worse than the Classic one.

The Classic I would say is like almost any other ipods except Shuffle 1st gen. That means is not specially good to my ears, in fact I am moving from ipod to a better quality sounding PMP.

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 23
Since you need a lot of space, the Touch is not an option. Classic>line out dock>amp is the way to go.

Incidentally, it's simply not true that you're 'forced' to use iTunes with iPods. Winamp and Mediamonkey both work with iPods up to and including the Classic.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ataraxia, I wasn't bashing the ipod I was merely pointing out the unbelievable incredible weaknesses of them...reasons to me would make me wonder why anyone would ever even buy an ipod or even a zune for that matter.

But I'll recommend a few:...

Your recommendations are more expensive than an iPod classic while offering only a fraction of the space the classic has. He said that space is very important to him, so none of them fit his needs.
Stop bashing and try to come up with something constructive instead.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by me7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your recommendations are more expensive than an iPod classic while offering only a fraction of the space the classic has. He said that space is very important to him, so none of them fit his needs.
Stop bashing and try to come up with something constructive instead.

NO offense me7, but he asked about the touch which is 8gb's, all the players I recommended are all available in at least 8gb's with the i7 going up to 16gb's and the D2 going up to 24gb's.

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 23
To the original poster -- I don't think Apple allows discounting on iPods. Special offers from retailers tend only to include a cheap extra case, or something like that.

I bring this up so you don't rush into a decision based solely on what should be only marginal savings, at best.

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by baniels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depending on your memory card. Not stock.

Yes very true baniels..

But you can buy and 8gb D2 and a 16gb sd card which makes the D2 24gb's that's the same price as a 8gb touch. Of course you won't have wifi which is a nice feature...
Also the D2 integrates the internal memory and the SD card as one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855228013

Newegg.com - A-DATA 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity(SDHC) Flash Card Model TurboSD SDHC 16G - Retail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back