Getting a Corda HA-1 MK II....
May 11, 2004 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mega

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. I know this has been asked numerous times, but i am about to get a corda HA-1 MK II amp from Todd. What are your feeling about this amp? I have the hd-600's..and down the line ill get some 595's. How is this amp with the high-end senn headphones? What kind of sound signature will i notice when i plug it into the amp? Will the so called "veil" go away? Thanks.

May 11, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 13
I just gone one from Todd about a month ago and am very, very happy with it.

Regarding your specific question about the veil, I would probably say no. I know there are those who think with the right amp the 580/600 veil goes away, but I have never experienced that for myself. I am still of the opinion that the veil is an inherent characteristic of the 580/600s. However, I have also never heard the 580/600 with the HA-1 MKII, so I could be wrong. Still, I think if you're looking for a mind-blowing transformation, then you'll be disappointed.

May 11, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 13
IME even higher-end SS amps can't get rid of the veil, it's still there on the Gilmore and Grace 901 to me. I think the BLockhead is the only proven beil-buster to those of us that hear it (I haven't gotten to hear the blockhead yet).

My HA1 MkI was a gread little amp for the price, definitely better than the META/PIMETAs of the world, and the Headroom Little More Power. I would only expect the MkII to be better.

May 11, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Most of the Senn veil was there even with Headroom Max (although slightly less than HA-1). Frankly do NOT expect a night and day improvement from an amp upgrade (unless you are coming from no-amp or want to fork over serious $$$ for serious amp). Since you already had an amp before, I think minor refinement is best way to describe what to expect. Of course, Prehead with LM opamp will be very much musical and slightly less veiling sound.

If you serious about getting rid of veil, consider different headphones (say more forward sounding cans). Believe or not, that veil is sonic signature of Senn that most people here come to love (including me).

May 11, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
Believe or not, that veil is sonic signature of Senn that most people here come to love (including me).

That is what I came to figure out, and why I now have the CD3000
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 13
I guess im just not a senn (580/600) type of guy then. Don't get me wrong, i think the 600's are a great pair of headphones, its just that is leaves me unsatisfied and it leaves me wanting more. I believe it is the veil that is causing this. I had the A900's (Gave them away..didn't want to though
biggrin.gif
) and i did prefer the musical, forward side of those cans. I don't want to buy another pair of A900's again, because i just might get them back somehow. Anyway, thats why i was looking into the 595's. If they sound like the 600's with a forward sound, then they might be my perfect headphone. And im not expecting a huge improvement with the corda ha-1 mk II because whenever i do, i usually get dissapointed. But hopefully, it will be a big step up from my pimeta though.

May 12, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 13
I know this is not headphone forum, but have you tried CD3K yet? Most people have either love 'em or hate 'em reaction to Sony MDR-CD3000. If Senn was too veil (laid-back) then CD3K might be one for you.

May 12, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
My HA1 MkI was a gread little amp for the price, definitely better than the META/PIMETAs of the world, and the Headroom Little More Power. I would only expect the MkII to be better.

I disagree. My self-built max-spec META42 with AD8620 and quad buffers whopped my Corda "Blue" with OPA627, although I didn't swap out the output stage so I only did half the mods. I was actually surprised when I did the comparison-- I was expecting them to be somewhat comparable, but in my setup at least, the META had more speed, clarity and detail. Needless to say, the Corda was soon afterwards sold...

I'm sure the MK II is a much better amp, from what I have read (it was a complete redesign).

edit: Now that I think back, my META probably only had dual buffers at the time of the comparison.

May 13, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 13
The senn veil is mythic. It is what makes them dark instead of grado-bright. I do not believe even the blockhead alleviates it, and I have heard the blockhead with the 650's. We can go less dark with different amps but it is never gone--Just as the blockhead cannot totally remove the signature grado-brightness (and I've listened to it with the RS-1's also). For some music I listen to my Senns because they are wonderfully dark and smooth. Sometimes I listen to my Grado's because they are bright and wonderfully detailed. Mostly I listen to my W1000's because they are right in between. IMO.

May 13, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler
I disagree. My self-built max-spec META42 with AD8620 and quad buffers whopped my Corda "Blue" with OPA627, although I didn't swap out the output stage so I only did half the mods. I was actually surprised when I did the comparison-- I was expecting them to be somewhat comparable, but in my setup at least, the META had more speed, clarity and detail. Needless to say, the Corda was soon afterwards sold...

I'm sure the MK II is a much better amp, from what I have read (it was a complete redesign).

I agree with fiddler about the HA-1 mk1, I didnt really rate it personally, I preferred both the X-Can v3 and Perreaux (in particular) to the Corda. Both are musically better to my ears.

I would hope indeed that the Mk2 is much better.

May 13, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Anyway, thats why i was looking into the 595's. If they sound like the 600's with a forward sound, then they might be my perfect headphone. And im not expecting a huge improvement with the corda ha-1 mk II because whenever i do, i usually get dissapointed. But hopefully, it will be a big step up from my pimeta though.

In this case you may be right. The 595 is definitely more lively than the HD-600. I wouldnt say it is more detailed but it is more... springy... snappy... thinner on the bass though.

The Corda HA-1 that I heard was the older version (according to another member here). Very nice with the senns in general...

I am guessing the price is around $200?? in which case just go for it.

The crossfeed is useful with those old jazz recordings and this amp can be modded fairly easily.

I am a great believer in DIY Audio and rate the Meta42 and the slightly more enjoyable and colored (I love coloration in cheap amps...gives them a character which is endearing and makes the music fun) PIMETA.

For $200.00 I think you might be able to swindle someone out of a used PPA or even build a basic PPA for yourself...look into this. That would be better than these amps we are discussing.

BUT - I recommend you go to a meet and listen to all the offerings in your price range before you decide. Sometimes you will find someone at a meet who really digs a more expensive amp and will be happy to give away his older one for a good price.

Cheers!

May 13, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Gs, i already bought the amp from todd...so its a done deal for me. Im just waitng for him to ship it. It isn't the original HA-1, its the MK II. Ive heard that all the high-end senn phones go great with the MK II, so i took the plunge. I have heard nothing but praise about the MK II model. I haven't heard the original HA-1, but if that was also a great amp, then i can only expect this to be even better
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back