Getting a CHA47 soon but...
May 30, 2002 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to get a CHA47 from JMT, but I have to decide what jacks should be put in it for the input.

Should I get mini or RCA? I thought RCA might be better because it should be easier to find RCA cables then mini's right? Plus I can always hook up other CDP (not portable) to the amp when I want to because most set top players have RCA outputs.

What kind of cables do you guys recommand? The only thing I have the at home that is worth mentioning is a set of Acoustic Research Pro Series (Directional Balanced Line Audio Cable). It's are about 3' long and it was used for a sub woofer so it has a single plug (male) on each ends.

Do you think I should utilize this cable? What other cable do you guys recommand? Please provide some links if you have any suggestions.

May 30, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Anyone feel like helping me out?
confused.gif

May 30, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Mini in, mini out. You can adapt the twin RCA's of a home type cdp to an RCA to mini. Trying to put 2 RCA's in a small portable is not practical.

From your description of the cable you've got, it probably won't be good for much as it's mono. You need laft and right.

May 30, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 7
There are mini to RCA cables so really, you can get whatever will fit. If you get RCA jacks on your CHA47, you're going to have to use a mini to RCA cable from your PCDP to the amp. Either way you're going to have to use one of them.

There are quality mini to RCA cables around, like these for example here at Headroom. Don't ask which is better, you're liable to start a war around here
wink.gif

Anyway, there's also cheapie RCA to mini adaptors like this one. Don't really know what these sound like, or if they have any effect at all.

Hope this has been helpful.
BTW, I've had my CHA47 from JMT for like a month and it is great.

Michael

May 31, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 7
I am also on JMT's waiting list and was pondering this question.
If you are ordering as a portable, I would go mini to mini.
I just can't see a huge ic coming out of a mint tin amp. I got the Straightwire from headroom. You can also check out Markertek; do a headfi search. Make sure you are getting stereo cables. They make several different types. I think their cable was less expensive than the Straightwire.
I also use mostly open cans, and can't see the advantage of expensive ics(like the kimber) unless I am at home and it is absolutely quiet.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back