Getting a bit tired of E17 + HD600, searching new tube? amp for "WOW" feeling
Jun 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mileleku

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
so, I've have had my FiiO E17 paired up with my HD600s for quite a while now. I like the sound and feel like this is a good setup.

I'm not so sure how to describe my problem, but even though it sounds good it sounds somewhat "distant" at the same time.
In many places you can read that people generally think the E17 isn't quite delivering to the HD600 standards. But is it true?
I always wonder if there is a way to improve my listening experience with a new amp, maybe even a tube amp (like the Little Dot III or IV?) to achive a "wow" feeling? Would a new amp even make a big difference to begin with?

What is you guys' thoughts on this?

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 10
  so, I've have had my FiiO E17 paired up with my HD600s for quite a while now. I like the sound and feel like this is a good setup.
I'm not so sure how to describe my problem, but even though it sounds good it sounds somewhat "distant" at the same time.
In many places you can read that people generally think the E17 isn't quite delivering to the HD600 standards. But is it true?
I always wonder if there is a way to improve my listening experience with a new amp, maybe even a tube amp (like the Little Dot III or IV?) to achieve a "wow" feeling? Would a new amp even make a big difference to begin with?
What is you guys' thoughts on this?

Do you max out the volume settings on your computer, to feed the best possible signal to the E17?

But anyway, I would assume a nice tube (or hybrid tube/SS amp) would improve the audio quality, of the HD600.

Might trying reading up and asking on this thread, about recommendations for amplifiers for use with the HD600.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 10
I am a firm believer in an amp making a difference. I went from a Schiit Vali to Project Polaris and it was absolutely and immediately apparent that the Vali had been underpowering my Beyer T90s. The HD600 is incredibly well regarded but with that comes the almost constant reminder from many people that they need really good amplification. I would save for an amp. The hd600 have an incredibly special sound, give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks you two!
Seems like I really should look into buying a quality amp.
I do max out my PCs output to 100%, so nothing to be gained there.

I'll try to go someplace where I can listen to the difference (I'll take my E17 with me). Until then I'll just save up :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 10
OP, what is your budget?

Well, it depends.
I guess I'd feel comfortable spending around 300€ (I'm from the EU), but if there really is something I would be able to use for a good 10 years I might just save up a bit more..

I'm able to use the DAC of my e17, so that it doesn't have to be a DAC/AMP combo.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Well, it depends.
I guess I'd feel comfortable spending around 300€ (I'm from the EU), but if there really is something I would be able to use for a good 10 years I might just save up a bit more..

I'm able to use the DAC of my e17, so that it doesn't have to be a DAC/AMP combo.

One option you might look into.
Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, 240 Euros, plus shipping (40 Euros?).
Dual WM8741 DAC chips, each one is slightly better then the single WM8740 in your E17 :)
USB, optical, coaxial inputs :)
Lots of amplifier power :)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 10

One option you might look into.
Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, 240 Euros, plus shipping (40 Euros?).
Dual WM8741 DAC chips, each one is slightly better then the single WM8740 in your E17 :)
USB, optical, coaxial inputs :)
Lots of amplifier power :)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Ah I remember seeing this.
I wonder if this would be an amp that lasts for years?
Like, if I ever decide to buy another pair of high-fi headphones, will this be appropriate (also sound quality-wise)?

I want to be on the safe side, so I'm not sure if I should buy on a budget or maybe just save up a little more for some "brand name" product.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 10
  Ah I remember seeing this.
I wonder if this would be an amp that lasts for years?
Like, if I ever decide to buy another pair of High-fi headphones, will this be appropriate (also sound quality-wise)?
I want to be on the safe side, so I'm not sure if I should buy on a budget or maybe just save up a little more for some "brand name" product.

The NFB-15 is a long term investment, I bought mine 20 months ago and plan on keep using it for years.
It drives all my headphones (about 20 of them), from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm.
Nothing name brand is going to offer the same quality and features at the same price.
A Schiit Mod2/Magni 2 is close to the same.
The NFB-15 has dual DAC chips, the Modi 2 only has one DAC chip.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 10
The NFB-15 is a long term investment, I bought mine 20 months ago and plan on keep using it for years.
It drives all my headphones (about 20 of them), from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm.
Nothing name brand is going to offer the same quality and features at the same price.
A Schiit Mod2/Magni 2 is close to the same.
The NFB-15 has dual DAC chips, the Modi 2 only has one DAC chip.

+1

I have the NFB-11 (same headphone amp/preamp, different DAC). With your budget, I would definitely go for the NFB-15 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back